Does anyone do protein shakes as a meal replacment?

Options

Im looking into getting one as my lunch replacement. I looked in to shakeology but they are really expensive. Is there any decent ones out there that are not so much money?

Replies

• NeverGiveUpKMV
    NeverGiveUpKMV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not big with using them as a meal replacement, but I will grab one for breakfast every once and a while :smile:

Right now I'm using a pre-made shake from Costco (because of the better deal), you can get this in other places though. I like it because it's 30g of protein with just 4g of carb.

Here's a link to it if you'd like to check it out!
    http://shop.premierprotein.com/Premier-Protein-11-oz-Shakes-Variety-12Pack/p/PREM-VPSH11&c=PremierProtein@Shakes

My personal favorite is the strawberries and cream :blush:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I personally like to chew my food.

BUT that being said, some people love a good shake for a meal. BUT wasting your money on a company hawking crap you can make yourself? Not worth it.

There are tons of recipes online for protein shakes, smoothies, juices, etc. Make your own, save your money, and just eat regular food if you prefer.

A shake isn't going to make you lose weight quicker ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes just because I like them, but for the calories, I think food is more filling.

• dhvozza
    dhvozza Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a Trutein Protein shake for breakfast every morning. They are very yummy and keep me full almost to lunch time.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I used to drink one for breakfast, when I ran out of fruit, on days I was running late to class. I would have to eat food right after I got out of class because the shakes do not fill me up. You should look for one that says it can be used as a meal replacement, and there are none I know of that are what I would consider cheap. Good luck.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Hm, 130 liquid calories (assuming I am not adding anything to it, in which case why not just like.. eat solid food unless I need to drink my meal on the go?) or 500+ solid-food calories?
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do about 3 or 4 days a week for one meal. I use Isopure zero carb 50 gm protein and use 1 or 1-1/2 scoops. They are pretty good.
  • megkarson
    megkarson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For cheap, we use cooked plain lentils in our smoothies. 1 cup has 18g of protein and lots of fiber. They are very neutral tasting and you can blend them with water, ice, banana, cinnamon and sweetner. It's a little bit of an acquired taste/texture, but once you realize how nutritious it is for you, it's easy to drink down. And lentils are really good for you and cheap!!! We cook them in our rice cooker in a two cups water to one cup lentil ratio and store them in the fridge for up to five days. You can also add them into salads and soups for extra protein and fiber. It's worth trying. Enjoy!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I make my own meal replacement shakes out of corn masa, brown sugar, brown rice protein powder, pea protein powder (I can't eat whey), ground flax seed, cream of tartar, soy lecithin, Canola oil, MSM, a multivitamin powder, and salt.

1 shake makes up for 440 of my daily calories. If I drink 5 of these a day, it comes out to less than $7/day and contains all the macro and micro nutrients necessary to live.

It's pretty bland, but you can replace the cream of tartar with cocoa powder for added flavour.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on protein shakes, they just taste... protein shakey.. ha! I do like the Jay Robb Egg White Protein mixes every now and then. They have single serving packets for a little over a dollar.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Love the lentil idea
  • jc93230
    jc93230 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not into the meal replacement shakes, but I do like to pair up an inexpensive protein shake with something like a bowl of steel cut oats in the morning. between the protein and the oats, I feel pretty full until early afternoon.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Im looking into getting one as my lunch replacement. I looked in to shakeology but they are really expensive. Is there any decent ones out there that are not so much money?
    It's hard to accept those prices, but he price is worth a good tasting protein/meal replacement with quality ingredients. Vitamin Shoppe rotates sale prices on various brands, which helps a lot. Garden of Life has really good ones, if you like one that focuses on plant protein and herbs. They taste really good.

• WildBillR
    WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes in the morning around my workout to help increase the amount of protein I get. At lunch time for about the same amount of protein and calories, you could eat a 4oz can of tuna (drained) or 4-5oz of cooked chicken. My preference is to eat rather than drink my calories, when I have the option (I just don't want to eat tuna early in the morning).
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Not as a meal replacement but I take one every day for the protein.

My wife bought the sample shakeology and they are very expensive and comes out really thick. No way I can just chug it down.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    megkarson wrote: »
    For cheap, we use cooked plain lentils in our smoothies. 1 cup has 18g of protein and lots of fiber. They are very neutral tasting and you can blend them with water, ice, banana, cinnamon and sweetner. It's a little bit of an acquired taste/texture, but once you realize how nutritious it is for you, it's easy to drink down. And lentils are really good for you and cheap!!! We cook them in our rice cooker in a two cups water to one cup lentil ratio and store them in the fridge for up to five days. You can also add them into salads and soups for extra protein and fiber. It's worth trying. Enjoy!
    Hmmmm I'll have to try that sometime, since I have a BulletRx. There's 40g carbs in that cup, but 16 of it is fiber so net carbs is not too bad.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

It's hard to accept those prices, but he price is worth a good tasting protein/meal replacement with quality ingredients.
    Or just use quality ingredients and make your own?! Save yourself mega $$$$$$$

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I like food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get a meal replacement for meal replacement.

use protein for extra protein.

these two things are not synonyms.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm with @jkwolly. Make your own. They taste a whole lot better and you get to control the ingredients. My smoothies cost about $1 each and are at least 20g of protein depending on ingredients.

As for meal replacement...no way. I can't drink my lunch or I'll go into cravings for chewable food within a couple of hours. I use protein smoothies as a way to change things up a bit, that's all.