2pm Cravings...

Options
I find come 2pm, I am starving. Or at least I feel like it. I have SUCH a hard time not picking thoruhg everything in my house. I drink 64 ounces of water a day, and specifically try to drink 32 of those ounces between 12p-4p. But it doesn't seem to help reduce the craving. I do tend to eat when I am bored. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lbfrueh
    lbfrueh Posts: 87
    Options
    bump!

I have the same problem lately. I was able to keep them away for a few weeks but the last two have been horrible. I've gone for a short walk or drank a ton of water and neither has worked!!!
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    EAT SOMETHING!

Seriously, that's really what you should do. Something small but filling like yogurt, granola bar, carrots, or almonds. Eat a slightly smaller lunch and/or dinner and that'll make room for a snack. Eating smaller portions in shorter intervals is said to reduce cravings.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    I always save some calories for such a time so i know im ok to have something if i am hungry or just peckish!!I usually have my afternoon coffee and a weight watchers chocolate roll,which is really nice as it gives me a bit of choccy too!!
  • katihamlin
    katihamlin Posts: 41
    Options
    So you should budget for a snack at that time of the day. Eat a tiny bit less for your other meals and add a fourth! I usually eat four meals a day just because I am hungry around 2-3pm. It doesn't mean you have to starve until dinner!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry at night or in the afternoon. I've moved lunch to later in the day. I'll have a snack around 12, a meal at 3/4, and dinner at 7. That's helped me.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Can you make 2 pm your exercise time, or a time when you get out of the house, or otherwise break up your routine somehow?
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    My cravings come at 3 - 3.30 pm... just that point in the afternoon that you feel sleepy!!! I tend to suck a boiled sweet... not only can a sweet last for 15 or so minutes, but it gives me the sugar hit I am craving and at about 30 calories so a cheap treat really!
  • tsbrown09
    tsbrown09 Posts: 53
    Options
    You should plan on having a snack at 2pm. Just make sure it is a healthy choice rather than junk food. Also, if you are able to, you could find something to keep you busy at that time so that you don't continue to eat. Hope this helps :)
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, snack on something. Make the calories count. Depending on if you workout or whatever you do on the daily your body needs to run off fuel similar to your car. Even if you have to half you dinner or lunch to spead your cals throughout the day, do that, but don't ignore your hunger. Perhaps jello, nuts, baby carrots, or whatever you see fit. At my old job, we used to tell people to reverse their meals, such as eat more early in the day and as the day progresses your meals get lighter and lighter (dinner for breakfast, breakfast for lunch)
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awesome motivation. I started at 321 and am down to 197 but 175 almost seems impossible. Thanks for your post. I can see now it is reachable and I shouldn't settle for 197. I'm going on, who knows maybe 155 one day. That's me higher end for normal weight:)
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a "big" breakfast? Eating more in the morning is suppose to help with those afternoon cravings. I think its great that you are drinking your water to avoid those cravings as well. I know when those afternoon cravings kick in it's because I haven't had enough water.
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    try an apple with peanut butter!! it helps me get through until dinner time!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    EAT SOMETHING!

If you are going from lunch to dinner not eating then yes, that is a problem and do as quoted above, eat something like an apple, veggies and low-fat/cal dip preferably one you make yourself to reduce sodium levels.

I find when you are at home lounging it is hard to not eat so I go to my computer which is upstairs and hope the laziness factor kicks in that the kitchen is too far away and I just won’t go. I love ebay as well and constantly play there. Side bonus: if you do the same, perhaps you'll find a dress you love for like $5 that would look STUNNING if you reached your goal so use that as motivation.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    Are you eating a "big" breakfast? Eating more in the morning is suppose to help with those afternoon cravings. I think its great that you are drinking your water to avoid those cravings as well. I know when those afternoon cravings kick in it's because I haven't had enough water.

I'm experimenting with the bigger breakfast this week to test this theory. Those 2:30pm cravings are killer! I usually budget for a snack at this time because if I ignore the hunger...danger awaits at dinner.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try this:

If you have a total of lets say 1200 calories you eat at day do this:

Take the 1200 divide that by 3 you get: 400 that is how many calories you would eat if you did 3 meals a day, now take that 400 and divide that by 4 that is how many calories you should eat at your snack times. So that would be 100. Now take that 100 and subtract that from your 400 and gives your calorie intake at actual meal times.

Breakfast 300
    Snack 100
    Lunch 300
    Snack 100
    Dinner 300
    Snack 100

Total 1200 not only does this force you to eat 6 times a day, but also helps increase your metabolism.

Hope this helps!!!

:smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have had a 2-3pm snack time for as long as I can remember! Something about that time of day when you want a little treat...

In order to make it work for me, I budget it into my day. I have my sandwich and a piece of fruit at noon. Then around 2 or 3pm, I have my greek yogurt and shortly after that, I have my other fruit. To me, fruits are sweet enough to trick me into thinking this is a treat so I won't go reaching for bad snacks (most of the time anyway).
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Eat something. Just make sure it is a healthy something. I always get hungry at work around 3. I save part of my lunch and eat it then so I am good to go until I get home and get some grub.
  • Kristy0728
    Kristy0728 Posts: 63
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Maybe 4 meals a day is the way to go. I tend to eat a larger dinner but maybe a "4th" meal around 2-3p would help with that too...