Sodium Intake

Options
I would like to think that I eat fairly well most of the time. Sure, some of my food is processed but with a crazy busy life it's hard to avoid. I do also eat a lot of fresh foods as well. When I had a calorie goal of 1500 calories, it wasn't difficult to stay under 2500 mg of sodium. Thanks to my BodyMedia, I am eating anywhere from 1650-2000 per day. This makes it very hard to stay under the sodium intake goal.

Help! My bread has 260 mg of sodium for 2 slices, almond milk has 180 mg of sodium for a cup, heck even eggs and egg whites have sodium! Then there is salad dressing....and I could go on and on. I will open up my diary so that you can take a peek and let me know what you think. (Nevermind the pizza for tonight, those are leftovers I need to get eaten! I don't typically eat much pizza.)

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    have the same problem. I had no idea I take in as much sodium as I do. Mine is a lot higher than reported because I do not neasure out my seasonings unless I make a recipe.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    When you go to the grocery store start looking for lower sodium versions. I too eat some processed food. I know that others will tell you to avoid them, but sometimes it is inevitable! Therefore, start comparison shopping. Look for the lower sodium breads, cereals, soups...etc. This will help lower your sodium consumption. It has helped mine.
  • akh426
    akh426 Posts: 7
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I never really paid attention to my sodium. I just watched calories, fat, protein, and fiber. I can't believe how much sodium is in pickles and olives! It's crazy!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a beast, and getting off of the processed foods will be a big help; but beyond that, water can be extremely helpful in flushing out excess sodium. The following site has some more great tips for flushing sodium:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/390289-how-can-i-flush-sodium-out-of-my-body/
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Slowly try cutting out the high sodium foods. Cut the the sausage in the morning & the lunch meat.
    I try to plan my whole day the night before & I adjust the diary to keep the sodium, carbs, fat & sugar mostly in check. I find when I preplan like that & don't veer, I have a much healthier day.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods. Don't add sodium to recipes. Look for low sodium or no sodium canned foods, cheese and dressings. Use spices and lemon juice as a subltitute. It is hard in the beginning but you get use to not having it, after a while.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    A good lunch meat is Dietz and Watson. It's pretty expensive(think like 7 to 9 dollars a pound) but if you can get it on sale, then is reasonable. Most of their meats are low in sodium, fat and calories, so thats also a plus. As far as bread goes, try to find "thinner" bread, or only eat half the bread. Finally, water water and more water! There is no better way to flush sodium out of your system then by drinking water.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Help! My bread has 260 mg of sodium for 2 slices, almond milk has 180 mg of sodium for a cup, heck even eggs and egg whites have sodium! Then there is salad dressing....and I could go on and on. I will open up my diary so that you can take a peek and let me know what you think. (Nevermind the pizza for tonight, those are leftovers I need to get eaten! I don't typically eat much pizza.)

My Pepperidge Farm - Light Style - Soft Wheat - Bread has only 180, I noticed last week that the egg whites had more than my normal eggs. I know what you mean tho, been trying to stay under, but some days it just ain't going to happen
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, salt is everywhere!! It's so bad and lately I have been retaining water in my legs/ feet. I have found " bit of salt" triscuits they are great with only 50 Mgs a serving.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    Many of the foods that offer healthy alternatives... like low fat make up the difference in taste with sodium. I actually will keep regular peanut butter in my house because it has about 100mg less sodium than the fat free brand as an example.

Sodium for me is my worst enemy. I find it is easier to deal with the extra grams of fat than the effects of sodium. I do look at food with lower cholesterol and better good fats though.

I lose more weight and have lost over 41 pounds since I started, so it works for me.

Along the sodium issue, even Subway is looking for lower sodium alternatives to their menu. If you look at their nutritional menu, the lowest sandwich is a roast beef on honey grain and that still has 950mg sodium!!!
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    Whats My Body Media?
  • PamDW
    Options
    I have the same problem, salt is everywhere!! It's so bad and lately I have been retaining water in my legs/ feet. I have found " bit of salt" triscuits they are great with only 50 Mgs a serving.
    crunchmasters multigrain crackers (found at Sam's Club) are real good too as well as animal crackers for a lite snack!
  • Emilycaldwell420
    Emilycaldwell420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am on a very low sodium diet for my inner ear disorder that developed after the birth of my first child. I'm with you...lowering sodium was difficult at first but you can do it! Start with not adding any salt to foods when you make them. Start searching for no salt added veggies (canned), tomato sauce etc and make your own ragu. For me, I have to make most everything from scratch, but when you do that, you can control the quality of ingredients as well as obviously the sodium. I use alot of spices, onions and garlic to flavor things. A plus is that now since your food doesnt taste as "good" (we are used to it and it tastes waaaay better now imo!), my hubby and i both lost weight right off the bat when I had to start this low sodium diet 4 years ago! He changed nothing other than now eating the low sodium food i made and not salting it. He lost 20 lbs cuz he was a notorious over salter and loves salty anything...the more the better! Some places with high sodium and alternatives.....mayo (use plain greek yogurt), ketchup (in recipes use no salt added tomato sauce), cream of anything soup (you can look up online how to make your own dry mix and then just add water to it), canned soups (make homemade with no salt added beef or chicken boullion cubes. I get them from HyVee or Dillons. Stocks, even the low sodium ones, are crazy high in salt! I make a batch and freeze them in individual portions-voila! Homemade "TV meals") Salad dressings (I make my own ranch or i love this homemade lemon poppyseed dressing on spinach salads- take several lemons and juice them, add some zest, a bit of vinegar, some sugar or stevia, a dribble of EVOO and some poppyseeds. Shake in a shaker and use for about a week or so in fridge) They now make hint of salt chips, and keep your eye out for low sodium versions of cheese, cottage cheese. Find the manager in your local grocery store and ask about low sodium options. They can special order them by the case and as long as the item can be frozen or stored, u can stock up for a few months, that way you dont run out of something u need. It can be daunting at first, but you can do it. Read lables and know that your health is improving! Good luck!!!
  • PamDW
    Options
    canned vegies rinsed and drained cut the sodium by almost half... but you have to rinse them well.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I've actually heard that sugar is pretty bad for your blood pressure as well, maybe moreso than sodium. Some foods like eggs naturally have sodium... I wouldn't fret so much. Are you eating a lot of vegetables? Nuts? Unprocessed stuff? The more processed your food is... the more sodium you'll probably find.

http://www.highbloodpressureinfo.org/sugar-and-high-blood-pressure.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/05/24/127096907/it-s-not-just-salt-sugar-boosts-blood-pressure-too

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/health/research/06patterns.html

Cut processed sugar and processed food! :)
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Thank you everyone!