TDEE & IFFYM

Options
Greetings Pals,

I finally figured out my numbers for my TDEE and IIFYM; however, I think MFP has ruined my way of thinking a tad. When I started, I allowed MFP to calculate my calories and micros, with my calories set at 1200. As mentioned, I calculated my TDEE and IIFYM, and I was stunned at the amount of calories I should be eating. I'll start my workouts on Thursdays, so I left my activity level at sedentary. My goal is to lose 50lbs. Would you consider my numbers to be accurate:

Carbs: 183/61g Protein:111.6/37.2g Fat:55.8/18.6 Calories: 1680
My current weight is 210, and I'm 5'7, by the way I don't know what my body fat percentage is.

Also, is there a way to manually enter your micros? I'm only allowed to make the adjustments via MFP's drop down box.

Before I forget, I'm currently doing IF 16:8 M-F, and 14-10 Sat &Sun

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Carbs: 183/61g Protein:111.6/37.2g Fat:55.8/18.6 Calories: 1680

don't understand what you're saying there

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Your protein should generally be more in line with 168 grams (0.8g/lb of bodyweight), fat should be a little higher at 84gs (.4g/lb), and the rest can safely go into carbs.

Your overall calorie deficit amount should be absolutely fine.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your average TDEE is what you would eat to stay your current weight. MFP assumes no exercise and calculates a goal based on TDEE-[500 for every pound you want to lose].
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is a Javascript thingamajig you can install in Chrome that lets you set your MFP macros in grams rather than percentages.
  • Naturally07
    Naturally07 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I don't understand what you are comparing. TDEE is your maintenance after all factors are included, IIFYM is just a way of eating.

I'm not comparing anything. I was sharing my calculations of my TDEE and IIFYM.

• Naturally07
    Options
    EzRemake wrote: »
    Your protein should generally be more in line with 168 grams (0.8g/lb of bodyweight), fat should be a little higher at 84gs (.4g/lb), and the rest can safely go into carbs.

Your overall calorie deficit amount should be absolutely fine.

So my protein should be higher than 37.2g, in addition to my fat at 18.6? I'm still trying to figure this out.

Thanks
  • Naturally07
    Options
    Your average TDEE is what you would eat to stay your current weight. MFP assumes no exercise and calculates a goal based on TDEE-[500 for every pound you want to lose].

Yes, I reduced it by 25% and I still think that 1,664 is a bit too high, considering that I need to lose 50lbs. I kept my calories at 1200, but considering bumping it up a bit.
  • Naturally07
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    There is a Javascript thingamajig you can install in Chrome that lets you set your MFP macros in grams rather than percentages.

THANKS!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes, I reduced it by 25% and I still think that 1,664 is a bit too high, considering that I need to lose 50lbs. I kept my calories at 1200, but considering bumping it up a bit.

If 1,664 equals your TDEE minus 25%, why do you want to eat only 1200 calories? You might as well eat 1600 calories as long as it allows you to lose weight. Trust me, you'll be happy to have room to cut back, should you ever need to lower your daily intake in order to lose at a pace that is acceptable.

55835802.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I don't understand what you are comparing. TDEE is your maintenance after all factors are included, IIFYM is just a way of eating.

I'm not comparing anything. I was sharing my calculations of my TDEE and IIFYM.

Have you worked out your TDEE from your own calorie intake logging over the last few weeks?
    Otherwise you are just putting blind faith in one calculator.

From the numbers you are giving for your macros I'm thinking you are a little confused. This is well worth reading....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

There's nothing special about the 25% number. I'm sure someone just put that out there to give people something to use. I would agree that with the amount of weight you need to lose that 25% does seem a little slow. I just don't know why you would want to mess with it when MFP calculates it and gives you a goal already.