Daily Fluctuation

Options
OK, I am very new at this Weight loss and Diet stuff. So, forgive me if you see me asking a lot of "common sense" questions. After I had my Daughter I gained 40lbs before DD I never had to worry about what I ate gaining. So, back to my question...is it normal to have a 5lb weight gain or loss per day?

Thanks, for you help.

Replies

• Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate pretty wildly throughout the day/days. I wouldn't be too concerned about a 5lb shift. Most experts say to only weigh yourself once a week or so, just to account for it.
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    yes water retention is a big factor in daily fluctuations. Watch your sodium intake and drink plenty of water.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Before menopause, mine would fluctuate that much in a day, depending on the time of the month. It made it very difficult to lose any real weight. I never could get a good reading on what my true weight should be. I found that the only day out of the month that I could weigh myself and expect any "real" feedback was Day 5 of my cycle. From that point, I would have about a week to make progress. For the next 2-3 weeks, progress would halt due to water retention, etc.
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I fluctuate every day (under 2 lbs), and do weigh myself every day. I find that weighing myself every day helps me be aware of what is going in my body and sometimes I can adjust or learn about why I might be up the next day. Things to reflect on when you weigh yourself:

- How much water did I drink yesterday?
    - How much fiber did I eat yesterday?
    - Did my eating pattern/time of day change?
    - When was my last B. M.?
    - Did I drink too much soda?