I just want less jiggle more muscle.

Options
Can anyone tell me exactly what to do to tone-up? I’ve hit my goal! Still need a lot of toning on legs, butt and belly but my arms look to thin. When I say exactly I mean what exercise, how many and how often. I don’t go to a gym, I work out at home. I have 5lb dumbbells, exercise ball and a treadmill. I’m a 47 year old female 5 feet 6 inches. tall 111 lb. and sit at a desk all day. I don’t like cardio so I don’t use the treadmill much. I have a Fit bit Charge hr that says burn around 1800 calories a day and eat around 1440. The Fit bit is still new to me so not sure I trust it to eat more; I don’t really care what my weight is I just want less jiggle more muscle. Thanks for any help you can offer. FYI If you look at my food diary last week is not normal go back a few weeks or so.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, eat more and start doing an established lifting program. At 5'6" and 111 pounds, you are almost certainly undermuscled. The only way to build muscle at this point is to eat in a surplus and do something (i.e., strength training) to stimulate muscle growth. Here are a few programs to look into:
    • Stronglifts 5x5
    • Starting Strength
    • New Rules of Lifting for Women
    • Strong Curves
    • All Pro's Simple Beginner Plan
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You are what we affectionately call, “Skinny Fat.” So, what you should do is work to gain some muscle and then maybe lose a little more fat.

You’ll want to find your maintenance calories and stick to that. Also, you’ll need to work on your macros to ensure you have enough protein to build muscle. Then, get into a heavy lifting program. I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts. These will get you gaining strength and muscle (when you’re fueling and providing protein for muscle building).
  • donnalee120
    donnalee120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Someone said I should try "men's health 15 minute workout dvd" do you think that would work?
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    15 minutes, bah. Are you serious about building a body?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Someone said I should try "men's health 15 minute workout dvd" do you think that would work?

Work to do what? Burn calories? Yes. Build (significant) muscle? Unlikely.
  • donnalee120
    Options
    Yes! I just don't have the equipment it looks like you need for Stronglifts etc. I live over an hour way from a gym. I can buy some weights but would that be safe to do at home alone, I don't what to get hurt not knowing how to lift weights. I CANT even do 1 real push up!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym. They're progressive bodyweight programs that require little to no equipment, and show you variations on movements from beginner to advanced.

ETA: This link is for Nerd Fitness, and is also a bodyweight circuit. Do you have a park nearby you could use?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You could use resistance bands. There's lots of good videos on Youtube that will show you how to use them. You could also look up your body is your gym.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    15 minutes, bah. Are you serious about building a body?

Not even enough time to do any of my three big lifts.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I would agree with the suggestion to work on bodyweight work right now if you don't have equipment. At a certain point, you'll need to invest in some sort of equipment or a gym membership, even if you are doing bodyweight work, if you really want to build muscle.
  • LeslieSchoenle87
    LeslieSchoenle87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michael's videos. The first round of me losing weight I lost 30lbs. using her "Ripped In 30" video. It's a 4 week process and is a circuit training sequence. 3min. strength, 2min. cardio, 1min. abs. From beginning of the workout (warm-up) to the end (cool-down) it took me 34 minutes. You can get it at Wal-Mart for $9.97 and all you need is about a 5x7 space in your living room, light hand weights (I use 3lb. and 5lb.), a yago mat if you are worried about your back while doing crunches etc., and that's about it. I LOVE IT! I'll add you and maybe we can keep in touch.
  • donnalee120
    Options
    I have been working with my body weight for months. This is what I do (see below) I takes about 22 minutes to do it then I do it 2 more times, a little over an hour 2-3 times a week. This is how I have lost 25lb. But still need less jiggle more muscle.
    The weights are 5lb
    Abs Ball Crunch 15
    Arms Weights Bent over Row 15
    Leg Floor Bridge 15
    Abs Ball Back Ext 15
    Arms Weights Bicep Curls 15
    Leg Squat 15
    Abs Ball Reverse Crunch 15
    Arms Weights Kickback 15
    Leg Front Lunge 15
    Abs Floor Sit-ups 15
    Arms Weights Overhead Triceps Ext 15
    Leg Back Lunge 15
    Abs Floor Twist & Turn 15
    Arms Weights Dumbbell Front Raise 15
    Abs Spiderman 15
    Arms Weights Dumbbell Lateral Raise 15
    Abs Weights Oblique Twist 15

• donnalee120
    Options
    So what kind of weights (equipment) do I buy?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Look over several programs. Pick one that interests you. Get the equipment that you need to do the program. Doing it in the other order (buying equipment and then trying to find a program that matches what you have) will just make things harder.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    hnsaunde wrote: »
    Look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym. They're progressive bodyweight programs that require little to no equipment, and show you variations on movements from beginner to advanced.

ETA: This link is for Nerd Fitness, and is also a bodyweight circuit. Do you have a park nearby you could use?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

this plus
    start bodyweight. Com
    strength unbound.com
    Al Kavadlo
    all the resources you need to reduce the jiggle without buying equipment other than a pull up bar.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Look over several programs. Pick one that interests you. Get the equipment that you need to do the program. Doing it in the other order (buying equipment and then trying to find a program that matches what you have) will just make things harder.

Agreed.

OP, if you start with a body weight program you won't need much in the way of equipment. Resistance bands are also cheap and easy to store. There are plenty of videos online which will show you how to do the right moves. Once you can easily do the body weight movements and the resistance bands aren't challenging you then you can look into progressing into the heavy equipment. By then you'll be a lot more confident in what you can and can't do.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You dont have to make rocket science out of it. Just do the basics which you can find on you tube. bicup, triceps, back, chest and squats and lunges...donkey kicks...get a pair of ankle weights. thats it.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Yes! I just don't have the equipment it looks like you need for Stronglifts etc. I live over an hour way from a gym. I can buy some weights but would that be safe to do at home alone, I don't what to get hurt not knowing how to lift weights. I CANT even do 1 real push up!

No problem doing bodyweight work, but you should dedicate more than 15 minutes to building muscle. You need progressive resistance. Start by pushing off a wall, then move to a kitchen counter, then either off of a lower object (small table) or on the floor with knees on the ground, then full push ups. 3 sets of 8 - 10.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of food
    And
    Lift a lot of weight!
  • hnovak0103
    hnovak0103 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got definition from doing Insanity. It's a 60 day program and my body changed a lot in just 2 weeks. I am on week five and I can see some abs! I stream it through my computer on beachbodycaoch.com/HNOVAK so I didn't have to buy a video. They have a bunch of programs that you can try all on demand. Insanity did not require any equipment and it is a great workout!!