Container Gardeners?

Options
jiigglybutt
jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
This is my first year doing container gardening! I'd love to find some friends that do it too to share advice, successes, etc! :)

sdste6a34jg6.jpg

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've done container gardens on my deck for the past several years. Last year, I did tomatoes, jalapenos, cayennes, carrots, and lots and lots of herbs.

This year, hubby and I are going to build a small raised garden bed as well!

Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do container and in ground gardening. It's still too cold here (Delaware, USA) to put anything out but I was happy to see my strawberry plant sent out a runner. Hooray for perennial plants and free baby plants!
  • jiigglybutt
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I've done container gardens on my deck for the past several years. Last year, I did tomatoes, jalapenos, cayennes, carrots, and lots and lots of herbs.

This year, hubby and I are going to build a small raised garden bed as well!

Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like.

This is my first time doing it on my own! I've done gardening with my mom growing up and I've always loved it. I have onions, strawberries, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, bell peppers, jalapenos, and a few herbs! I'll add you!
  • jiigglybutt
    Options
    geckospot wrote: »
    I do container and in ground gardening. It's still too cold here (Delaware, USA) to put anything out but I was happy to see my strawberry plant sent out a runner. Hooray for perennial plants and free baby plants!

I live in Texas so now is a good time before it gets hot enough to scorch everything lol, I've already had a few strawberries out of my 3 plants!! I had one that was doing REALLY good until my dog thought it'd be fun to dig it up...
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one of our dogs is obsessed with fetch. Last year, he thought every single tomato on my plant was a ball and he'd bring it to me to throw for him. :angry:
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a regular garden and a container garden, which includes tomatos, peppers (4 or 5 different kinds), eggplants, cucumbers, and green beans. Regular garden has much more :-)
  • Donnamar86
    Donnamar86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started an herb garden last year and tried to grow tomatoes (didn't work out too well). But my basil, cilantro and rosemary grew perfectly.
    I never thought to use containers, I will definitely try this year.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to have a small container garden. Unfortunately, I live in a small apartment with an even smaller deck. Are there any plants that would do well sitting indoors on a modified window-sill?
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of gardening and blog about it, too. I live in Western Washington and have grown everything from small cantaloupes to goji berries, greens, herbs, corn, tomatoes, you name it. Feel free to friend me or check out my profile and click on my blog. I just posted a garden update today and posted tips for container gardening last week!
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I container garden - I live in New Zealand, and I have a beautiful lemon tree in a container (has scale at present, really have to sort it out). I have a bunch of other things - flowers, herbs and veges. I've grown cauliflowers and tomatoes in pots, with varying success. Tomatoes were amazing this year. Feel free to add if you like. :)
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My garden is bigger than my house. Literally. And that doesn't include the fruit trees, grapevines, etc... I have container gardened as well. You can add me if you like.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We had a late freeze that killed everything.. I'm in Florida and we had one particularly low freeze that wiped out my banana trees, mangos and avocados this winter. Still too angry about it to plant anything right now.

I'll get over it and garden again soon. The bananas had finally flowered. So, still ticked off about the 5 years of growth and few hundred bucks that went into those trees that should have finally fruited this year. Gah!

Right now I'm still in 'kill it all with a blowtorch' kinda mood.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    This is my first year too. So far I've got a semi dwarf Meyer lemon tree, spinach, Serrano peppers, and zucchini. I want to add on a bit tho (thinking tomatoes at the very least)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Will this work indoors? I have a large kitchen window sill... I would like to grow herbs as that's about all I have room for.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Have been container gardening for years. We have lots of space for actual gardens, but I like deck gardening. Those topsy turvy tomato planters can be used for all kinds of things besides tomatoes, too. did potatoes in a barrel last year and had some success. Make sure your containers are deep enough for whatever you are planting, though, some things need to develop deeper root systems than others.

Herbs are always fun and easy... cilantro, basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary... and they smell wonderful, too. And try Stevia... my plant last year did phenomenal in a pot and the leaves are super sweet. I crushed some of the leaves it in a glass with some fresh mint (also VERY easy to grow) and tea and it was delicious. I brought it inside in the fall, however, and was infested with little white flies so if I grow it again this year I'll just keep it outside until the frost zaps it.

I'm in the NE so won't be gardening for another month yet, but I've got it all planned and can't wait! This year I'm going to try growing corn in containers.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @jenniferinfl
    The bananas had finally flowered. So, still ticked off about the 5 years of growth and few hundred bucks that went into those trees that should have finally fruited this year. Gah!

I almost bought a banana tree from QVC the other week and wondered if I could leave it outside and bring it in for the winter but they were gone by the time I called. There's a reason, I guess, why you don't see a lot of banana trees in the North East, but man I'd sure like to grow one!

• nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1ct9b7etb30v.jpg

I sowed veggie and herb seeds on my raised bed. This spring I will be transferring some of the seedlings to containers (I have over 100 of them!). Veggies and herbs look pretty in pots and they are edible too!

Cant wait for harvest time! If anyone of you live around Houston we can swap veggie/herb plants! Nic~
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    I would LOVE to have a small container garden. Unfortunately, I live in a small apartment with an even smaller deck. Are there any plants that would do well sitting indoors on a modified window-sill?

Google a Pallet Garden. They're pretty neat, and vertical, so little space required!