Lifting. Where to start?!

Okay so 'lifting heavy' obviously has a good reputation, but the only weights I currently own are only 3kg each! What is a suitable 'heavy' weight to start with? I'm a single, working mum of two so bare in mind I workout from home as I rarely get time to go to a gym. Anyone?

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    You don't necessarily have to use weights. There are some fantastic body exercises you can do, such as push up, sit ups, planks, and if possible chin ups. You can google to find other examples. Also you can buy some other resist type bands at your local Walmart that work well. Good Luck
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    edited April 2015
    If you want to lift you can also buy some free weights, a barbell and follow the strong lift 5x5 programme. There's an app for it, I follow it and it is brilliant. It tells you what weight to start on based on your starting weight. If you feel that it is too heavy you can always deload and increase from there. Yes it even tells you how much to increase the weight by.

There is a really supportive group on MFP called Strong Lifts 5x5 for women that you might want to join. I'm also a mum, a business owner and work out at home. I inherited my weight set from my brother but you can get them at a good price on ebay.
    All the best with it. :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Type something like "home body weight exercises" into Youtube and watch some demonstrations. You can do resistance (bodyweight) exercises in your front room whilst watching and pausing the videos for rests and to watch form. Heavy lifting would probably require you to invest in a little heaving weights than the ones your using. Lifting heavy is whatever you can do for between 8-12 reps for 4 sets or so. (This is not the definition of heavy lifting, it's just a good place to start in my opioion)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    As others have said, you can do a body weight progression and get good results. Also, don’t underestimate the value of lifting things you have around the house. Pick a good mix of exercises (or find a full body program).
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    You would have to invest in the equipment to use at home or go to the gym or do a body weight program. I would suggest going to the gym (even just a few times) to see if you even like it enough to buy the equipment.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    NROL for Women - The New Rules of Lifting
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

Or seek out a gym + trainer

It's best to seek out a trainer to help with form for the compound lifts to make sure you have good form (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press -- Rows) or study the heck out of the starting strength materials, etc.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    I agree with starting with body weight exercises if you are on a budget and/or don't have access to a gym/health club.
  • misstmarie______xo
    misstmarie______xo Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated! :)

I do already do some body weight exercises as part of a workout DVD I use which include press ups, squats etc, but I may do as suggested and look at some apps and YouTube videos for more ideas & inspiration. Quite interested in resistance band exercises so I'll have a look into that as well.

Thanks guys and best of luck to you all on your fitness goals! :)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    This is an awesome progressive bodyweight program: www.startbodyweight.com
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Hi. You asked about heavy lifting specifically. You could start with 10 pound dumbbells and if those aren't too heavy for you add a set of 15's to start. Otherwise I'd go with 5 lbs and 10 lb and work your way up. Heavy to me and heavy to you could be totally different. What you don't want to do is start too ambitious and injure yourself. Get a feel for it. You want it to be do-able but you also want it to get a little hard to lift towards the ends of the reps. Say you are doing 15 reps. You start with 10 lb weights and by rep #15 you are still as spunky as you were on rep #1. Then 10's are not heavy enough. But if by rep #10 your feeling it and by #15 your struggling but can push through, then 10lbs is perfect. For starters. You will get stronger and require heavier weights. I hope that addressed the questions you had.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    cbills65 wrote: »
    Hi. You asked about heavy lifting specifically. You could start with 10 pound dumbbells and if those aren't too heavy for you add a set of 15's to start. Otherwise I'd go with 5 lbs and 10 lb and work your way up. Heavy to me and heavy to you could be totally different. What you don't want to do is start too ambitious and injure yourself. Get a feel for it. You want it to be do-able but you also want it to get a little hard to lift towards the ends of the reps. Say you are doing 15 reps. You start with 10 lb weights and by rep #15 you are still as spunky as you were on rep #1. Then 10's are not heavy enough. But if by rep #10 your feeling it and by #15 your struggling but can push through, then 10lbs is perfect. For starters. You will get stronger and require heavier weights. I hope that addressed the questions you had.

In response to this: most heavy lifting programs have you lifting in the 3-5 rep range. If she only has 3kg weights to start with, it will be too light.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    I'd suggest buying a book for putting together a bodyweight program. You Are Your Own Gym, Body By You, and Convict Conditioning are three good ones. The progressions on bodyweight can be complicated, so having the book is helpful.

YAYOG also has an app that goes along with it that people seem to like.
  • misstmarie______xo
    misstmarie______xo Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you for your responses!
    Definitely going to invest in some heavier weights than I currently own and gradually build up strength whilst also looking into more body weight exercises too. :)