Fennel???!?!?

Options
Has anyone cooked with fennel before? I need help, all I have done so far was make a salad for my girlfriend (romaine lettuce, fennel, apples and oranges) but need more ideas, HELP!!!

Replies

• nancynyhof
    Options
    Stir fry with other veggies & juicer! I also made a gazpach recipe today that had fennel, cukes, tomatoes, and red pepper. It was great.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Mmm... fennel. Every year at Thanksgiving I use fennel instead of celery in my stuffing. Stuffing is a year-round food!
  • lessofheather
    lessofheather Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you eat pasta? I like it in crab linguine - half pasta, half courgette (zucchini) with grated fennel.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Which part of fennel? Seeds are used in many Indian recipes, and you can pretty much add them in any vegetable based soup, stir fry etc. I also use the green part (leaves, flowers, dresh or dried) to add flavour to grilled fish, steamed or boiled vegetables (awesome with green peas, carrots, potatoes) and to yoghurt based dips. The bulb can be eaten fresh as salad, even on its own with olive oil and lemon, and cooked pretty much wherever you would use potatoes (for example to repalce some of the potatoes served with chicken, oven roast etc).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love fennel, but don't do anything exciting with it. In addition to the salad use, I mostly add it to other veggies and pan fry (sometimes then add to pasta, sometimes just leave as a side dish). I've roasted it on its own on occasion. Talking about the bulb here, although I'd usually add the leaves to the pan fry at the end for added flavor.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'll cut up a fennel bulb and mix with other root veggies and roast in the oven on occasion.
  • JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, fennel gets nice and sweet when roasted.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Fresh fennel is used a lot in Italian cuisine. Google 'fennel recipe italian' and a lot of suggestions pop up.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like sauteed fennel and onions on top of grilled chicken breast.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Cioppino (fish & seafood soup) uses chopped fennel.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Which part of fennel? Seeds are used in many Indian recipes, and you can pretty much add them in any vegetable based soup, stir fry etc. I also use the green part (leaves, flowers, dresh or dried) to add flavour to grilled fish, steamed or boiled vegetables (awesome with green peas, carrots, potatoes) and to yoghurt based dips. The bulb can be eaten fresh as salad, even on its own with olive oil and lemon, and cooked pretty much wherever you would use potatoes (for example to repalce some of the potatoes served with chicken, oven roast etc).

What great advice on using all parts of fennel. I've copied and pasted this into OneNote so I will always have this to reference and learn from it how to eat fennel. Thanks so much.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    A salad, but simple and delicious. http://markbittman.com/recipe/fennel-and-celery-salad/
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Roast in the oven and put on pizza.

Or dice fine with other veg (I like summer squash, onions or leeks, and tomatoes) and put on top of salmon and poach in wine and olive oil.
  • hevva9
    hevva9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slice 1/2 bulb finely and braise in a tiny bit of oil with 1/2 sliced onion, garlic and some lemon juice or verjuice, season, serve over wilted baby spinach and top with 3 seared sea scallops. (One serve) Yummo. Low carb & low cal, quick & delicious.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of bulbs in the last week and didn't know what to do with them. I baked one (it took a long time to bake) with an italian tilapia preparation, and the other one I stuck in an indian lentil soup.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I made a nice spring risotto with some fennel last weekend for Easter.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Thanks! This was by far the most helpful. Went from barely knowing how to do anything with fennel to making 4 dishes out of it (not including my girlfriend's salad)

I did a fruit salad with fennel bulb, kiwi, mandarin oranges, apples and pears

Steamed fennel stalks, carrots and cauliflower

Sautéed fennel and garlic chicken

And wild and brown rice with red quinoa and fennel leaves

Pictures are below and thanks for everyone's comments.

hlhr4tld65ql.jpg
    on6iarm45r3n.jpg
    o85yb1n8pvx6.jpg
    0jlmit7n35ju.jpg
  • kaitlingood
    Options
    Slice the bulb, sautee in a little oil on high heat so it gets browned, top with lemon juice. Eat as a side dish with anything! My favorite veggie