When is it too much fat loss?

Options
I started using MFP after having my 3rd child. I went from 145 in December to 117 today. My goal weight was 125. I am 5'5. I have just felt like I still have more fat to lose. I have been planning to start lifting but with 3 kiddos under 4 its been a challenge. I live in small rural town but my husband has built a great home gym.

Anyway my "goal weight" has kind of always been up in the air. I just want to get to where I like where my body looks. My size 2 jeans are now loose and I guess it just hit me...am I losing too much now? I know excercise will help tremendously. I just am not sure where to stop for fat loss.

I am also breastfeeding so that contributes to the fast weight loss since I am not even on a big deficit.

Replies

• azdztchic
    Options
    What does MFP stand for? I think I know what it is but checking in to see if it's what I thought?
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would think that if you are questioning your weight loss maybe its time to stop and maintain this weight for a few weeks. Give yourself time for your mind to adjust to the new weight and see if it is difficult to maintain - how is your mental health? Is it fun shopping for clothes in this size? Do you see yourself as beautiful? Can you maintain the weight at a normal level? Then you can see if this is maybe too small. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would guess that you are nearing the lower side of healthy so it's a good time to look at that. Maybe the "fun" of losing weight could be achieved by changing the focus to weight training or something like that for body recoup without more weight loss. Good luck! You have accomplished something you set out to do so enjoy it whether you decide to land.
  • brocej
    brocej Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about a goal weight. If you are strong (start lifting weights), have a good amount of muscle mass (not just thin and anorexic), and you look how you want in the mirror then all is good. And as a women you don't want to go below 10-13% body fat (at this level all you have left is essential fat).

Personally I do use weight as a guide, but only because I've estimated what my body fat percentage will be when I hit that weight. But if I could magically gain 40lbs and stay at a low body fat I would, so ultimately your goal weight can vary.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You can start with BMI for a rough idea. It's not a great gauge, but if you're trying to figure out whether you're getting too dangerously low on the scale, it's a decent starting point. For reference, at 5'5" and 117 lbs, your BMI is 19.5, which is on the low end of normal. The threshold for unhealthily underweight for your height would be 111lbs, but again, that's just average, not taking into account fitness level, age, body type or muscle mass.

Beyond that, you need to just go with how you feel. If you have a small frame and are otherwise healthy, then you're probably fine. You can consult your doctor to see what a healthy stopping place would be.

You're probably on the right track about wanting to shift your focus away from weight loss and towards fitness at this point.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Where ever you decide to land is what I meant to say. Also just saw the breastfeeding issue. Watch how small you get because if you want to continue to breastfeed you will want to make sure you have enough fat to sustain it. There is something I remember reading about that.
  • brocej
    brocej Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    azdztchic wrote: »
    What does MFP stand for? I think I know what it is but checking in to see if it's what I thought?

My Fitness Pal - the name of this site.
  • CoconutLucy
    CoconutLucy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will try to maintain for now and see how I feel after a while. And also try to make lifting fun because I just don't look forward to it right now. I never thought losing the weight would be the "easy" part!
  • SonofNorthernDarkness
    Options
    personal preference , I personally don't see there will ever be a time where I maintain
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You can start with BMI for a rough idea. It's not a great gauge, but if you're trying to figure out whether you're getting too dangerously low on the scale, it's a decent starting point. For reference, at 5'5" and 117 lbs, your BMI is 19.5, which is on the low end of normal. The threshold for unhealthily underweight for your height would be 111lbs, but again, that's just average, not taking into account fitness level, age, body type or muscle mass.

Beyond that, you need to just go with how you feel. If you have a small frame and are otherwise healthy, then you're probably fine. You can consult your doctor to see what a healthy stopping place would be.

You're probably on the right track about wanting to shift your focus away from weight loss and towards fitness at this point.
    This and this.

Always such sound advice.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lowendfuzz wrote: »
    personal preference , I personally don't see there will ever be a time where I maintain

Really?

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    lowendfuzz wrote: »

Really?
    prfzeazw116e.jpg

• itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP after having my 3rd child. I went from 145 in December to 117 today. My goal weight was 125. I am 5'5. I have just felt like I still have more fat to lose. I have been planning to start lifting but with 3 kiddos under 4 its been a challenge. I live in small rural town but my husband has built a great home gym.

Anyway my "goal weight" has kind of always been up in the air. I just want to get to where I like where my body looks. My size 2 jeans are now loose and I guess it just hit me...am I losing too much now? I know excercise will help tremendously. I just am not sure where to stop for fat loss.

I am also breastfeeding so that contributes to the fast weight loss since I am not even on a big deficit.

Fat loss is not synonymous with weight loss. Based on your post, I am not sure you know that.

I am a mom too and I totally get how exhausting it can be to work out. But seriously, you need to do strength training and build some lean muscle and tone up. You also need to eat enough to build this muscle. It will require a bit of a mind shift, but you need to focus on FITNESS because your weight loss journey is over (congrats!). If you do it right, you will lose fat and gain muscle resulting in an overall weight gain but a much former body. Now might be the time to put your scale away.