Confused

Options
I've been doing the low carb type diet (60 carbs a day). I've lost 3 pouns in 4 days and am not hungry. But.... I don't know if this is healthy in the long run. I've had kidney stones in the past and don't want to do anything to get another one. Is this bad for your kidneys? Or your liver? Or your heart? Help!
23 hours ago · Comment
Write a comment... Remove : :ohwell:

Replies

• SofiaGuignard
    Options
    I did low carbs for about three months and found it a real pain - for one the weight loss slows down dramatically over a period of time and secondly the most weight you lose on a low carb diet tends to be water. Also I personally found I gained a ton of weight when I came off it which was really hard to shift :( so It whacks your metabolism down as well. Try filling a normal carb quota but with complex carbs like oats and doing some exercise, you won't instantly lose a load of weight but at least the results will last and it's much healthier :) hope this helped
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    High level of protein is "supposedly" bad for your kidneys. There is a lot of bs in the fitness community, I don't know for sure, and I wouldn't believe what people say, with out testing it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I high protein diet can put strain on the kidneys, so if you have had kidney issues in the past I would not do this diet. switch to a balanced diet. A balanced diet consists of Carbs 45-60%, Fat 20-30%, and protein 15-30%. With kidney issues I would not go higher than 30% protein, you may even want to go to 20-25%.
  • msdebg
    msdebg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    High protein diets are the most difficult for your kidneys. Just ask the question in google and you will see. If you sign up on here and let it automatically set your nutrients for you and the recommended calories you need for your age, height, etc. per day, that should do it. Sounds simple, but the trick is...........to do it! That is why we are all here.

The support on here is the best part, so people are here to help if you want it.:smile:

Good luck!
    Deb
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone else has said ..it may not be the right diet for you
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Low carbs are not very healthy, you require this important nutrient for energy to sustain you throughout the day. I consume carbs every day with oatmeal, weight watchers whole grain breads, brown rice, or whole wheat couscous to name a few. Complex carbs are needed each day to assist in normal body functions . . . your best bet is a balanced diet . . . everything in moderation! Being healthy is not only about a healthy weight, but about treating your body well and not depriving yourself of important nutrients. This is way too much like a "diet" to me, and I am NOT on a diet, but have changed my lifestye to be much healthier.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I did it for years and it worked for me (at that time). I though, kept my carbs at about 25-30 net a day and made sure to have AT LEAST 2 cups of green veggies daily. Natural fiber is VERY important to your health with low carbing.

I believe I read though it wasn't recommended for those with kidney issues??
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommend a low carb, high protein diet for me because of some health issues I have, it is a better diet. I have never had kidney stones, so I would not know. I really would seek medical advice if possible. As with any diet it is very important for you to drink at least 1.5 liters of zero calorie fluids (prefer water) to flush any toxins out of your body.
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    If you drank a LOT of water to flush your kidney's, wouldn't a moderately high protein diet be okay?
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    I currently have 3 kidney stone in each side. I would eat your recommended carbs. Complex carbs are your # 1 source of energy. You should have about 6-7 oz of meat protein a day.

With kidney issues you have to stay away form dark soda, drink lots of water and always always stay hydrated. I was able to see a dietitian through my Dr because I have kidney stones. Im not really on any special food restrictions, just low sodium (1500 mg) and all complex carbs. I eat most of my carbs in the am so I have time to burn them off.

It sounds like a lots more work than its worth to be low carb. Good luck.
  • mkdarin
    mkdarin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am new too. Facing my 60th birthday in August, my youngest is getting married in July and my oldest just had a baby 3 weeks ago. You would think all of thse wonderful milestones would be motivation enough. Can't seem to figure out what is blocking me. Everyday is a new beginning.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I high protein diet can put strain on the kidneys, so if you have had kidney issues in the past I would not do this diet. switch to a balanced diet. A balanced diet consists of Carbs 45-60%, Fat 20-30%, and protein 15-30%. With kidney issues I would not go higher than 30% protein, you may even want to go to 20-25%.

I have had kidney stones more than once. I agree with this. But also watch the sodium and drink a lot of water!
    Check this site out from the Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-stones/DS00282
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I heard that the low carb, high protein diet puts you into keto acidosis....which is not a good thing. You can get test strips to check for that. It is definitely hard on your kidneys. My dad did the Atkins diet years ago and it damaged his kidneys. With you already having kidney problems, there is no way I would do the restricted carb, high protein diet. I would go with a balanced diet....I have my carbs at 45% and protein at 35%, fats at 20%. If you eat super low carb if and when you go back to eating a regular amount of carbs you are going to gain the weight back.
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago. Never had kidney problems before but got a stone doing high protein, low carb diet. Once I stopped I had 2 more stones over the course of 14 months. Now a few years away from it I haven't had anymore kidney stones.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure but years ago I went on the Atkins diet and for the first two weeks you can only have 25 carbs a day which puts you into ketosis. I thought that this was strange because I've never heard of spilling protein into your urine was a good thing, but at the time I was desperate and that was what the first stage of the diet required. The diet really does work IF you can stick with it...the weight loss is quick but I just couldn't live without potatoes so of course I ended up gaining the weight back and then some, but I never had any kidney problems with it.:smile: Maybe you should google the diet plan you're on, do a little research on the pros and cons and see if there's anything about it that you may or may not want to risk...hope you find what you're looking for and good luck on your journey!!
  • sdavidson52
    sdavidson52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll go back to the tried and true balanced diet. I just wanted something to do a quick fix and that's not realistic.
  • sdavidson52
    sdavidson52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll go back to the tried and true balanced diet. I just wanted something to do a quick fix and that's not realistic. I am impressed on how many people responded to my post. Thanks a lot!!!