Post Partum Weight Loss Help

Options
I have done the insanity workout program after each baby that I've had but I've never dieted, with four babies it's hard for me to follow a scheduled meal plan. I want to attempt to eat better this time so I did a calorie calculator and it said that I should be taking in around 1600 calories per day, does this sound about right?

I am 5'5" 136lbs and want to end my weight loss journey at around 120. So far I have lost 30lbs but it seems as though I have hit a plateau.

I want to know around how many I should be taking in and how many I should be burning each day in order to hit my goals. Aside from Insanity I have a home gym set, free weights and of course the open road which I run when the weather is fair to me.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Are you using Insanity now? If so, I'd totally follow the nutrition guide that comes with it as the nutrition plan for it is unique compared to other workouts due to its demands (but it works).

Feel free to friend me and we can chat about your options! :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    LLL recommends 1800 calories, minimum.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov97p115.html

I have an 11 week old baby. I used http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm to calculate my calories (though I just rounded up). I have 3.6 lbs left to get to pre-pregnancy/MFP weight.

If you notice a dip in milk supply (if you're breastfeeding), then increase your calories.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? B/c that greatly affects how many calories you need/burn expend.

By 6m PP, I was back to my goal weight. Now I'm 9m PP and have completed T25Focus and am currently doing Insanity Max30. I log how much I feed and my workouts daily so it's always different. I woult NOT go by some generic number.

Add me and we can discuss more privately.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, at your height and weight, I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off focusing on your goal body rather than a goal weight. I would recommend putting more focus on resistance/strength training at this point. You'll maintain your lean body mass and burn fat, which will cause your measurements to go down, and will probably get you much closer to the look you want rather than focusing on the scale. That's not to say you shouldn't do cardio, it's good for your health, but I don't think it's going to get you where you want to be.
  • allymcnallen
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I began wondering the same thing as far as aiming for the overall look vs the number and I think you guys are right! I'm going to maybe flip my routine and do less cardio and work on toning, I think I will find more satisfaction that way.

I do need to up my calories, I tend to miss meals because I'm always so busy! Time to start setting alarms reminding me to eat!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'5 and 135 is the lowest I would go. Last time i was that low, I looked ill. I now shot for 140 with strength training and my body fat percentage is under 20%. Aim for the body you want.