Demoralised

Options
Hey

I know these kinds of posts come all the time, but I've been working really hard at losing weight, yet I seem to have gained?

I weighed 164 in February.

Since then I've pretty much cut out alcohol, done a lot more exercise, cut down on fatty and unhealthy foods, snacking on nuts and fruit, eating regular balanced meals and trying to stick to my 1,200 a day limit, eating some exercise calories back as I suspect I'll underestimate what I eat and overestimate what I burn.

I live with other students who bake and make nice food, I've tried to turn as much down as possible, but I don't want to banish all food.

I just weighed myself now and it's 171, which is NOT GOOD. I feel thinner, my clothes are certainly looser and I am fitter.

Do you think this could all be muscle gain? I've always been quite muscular so it could be. I just feel very shocked and demoralised right now, I've been trying so hard and this is what happens. I know it's a long time to go between weigh-ins but I have a history of being far too attentive to what the scale says, and want to avoid being dictated to by numbers. Sorry if that sounds crazy, but I think I might try a weekly weigh in now. Keep myself more accountable.

Any support you guys could offer would be so much appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I very much feel the same way, just did a weight in and I've gained weight. Do you always weight with the same scale, I've done mine in Boots today and I'm kicking myself. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Try doing your measurements. With workouts you could definitely be building muscle, and then those muscles will help to burn the fat. Don't be frustrated!!! You are doing things right, you just have to stick with it and the results will come! Best of luck to you!!
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you gained that much weight in muscle. Women do not put on that muscle weight like that.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There's no way you're not more fit... exercising must be putting on muscle weight which means you look better and feel better.... that is what we're all here for, right? Like mindy said, start doing body measurements rather than just looking at the scale and see if you're losing there. If your clothes are fitting better, then it is very likely you're moving in the right direction.
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It does sound like muscle gain. Try not to beat yourself up over the gain, as mindy14456 said, your measurements will probably be a better indication, especially if your clothes already feel looser.

As for scale watching, i was the same, used to weigh myself all the time, until it got a bit of an obsession. Now it's strictly once a fortnight, and always on the same scales at around the same time.

Keep going, you'll see it fall off the scales too in no time!
  • psyc0bebe1
    psyc0bebe1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would bet good money it is muscle gain and sometimes water weight if you are female. I do a daily weigh in because I can fluctuate as much as 10 lbs of water weight depending on what foods I eat the day before or PMS. Your fitness and inches clearly speak for themselves. If you can, try to see what is your actual body fat percentage (not the calculated/estimated value). I am predicting when you eat the fabulous meals your roommates cook, you are gaining water weight from salt, cheese, butter, etc. This is at least weight that goes away with more water intake, so enjoy life!

Perhaps reassess what you are eating, even if it is below 1200 calories. You can still get fat off "good fats" or bulk with too much protein based on your fitness program. Don't forget the butter and oils that go into cooking meals. Everything needs to go into your calories. Good luck!
  • Drpepperz
    Drpepperz Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you sure 1200 is enough? Not enough calories can be just as bad as too much.

Dont despair! I've quit smoking and quit drinking but eating right is the hardest thing i've ever tried!! Revise your goals, 1-2 lbs a week lost and kept off is better than huge lost folloed by bigger gains, there are some really knowlegeable people on this site, maybe you could put up a post and ask that someone revise you diary to see what's going on!

your doing the right thing just by beeing here, don't be shy ask for help!

DP
  • ilikeowls
    ilikeowls Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Guys

It was a different scale, I borrowed my flatmate's scale so it could be that. I'm not so sure that could account for such a wide margin of error though! Msenior, feel free to add me if you want someone to help give you support!

Doing measurements is a very good idea, thanks! I'll go out and get a measuring tape today, I need to get away from studying for a bit!

Sometimes it's just a bit hard when you get a set back when you're trying, and you guys are all amazing on here!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yes. It definately is muscle gain. It happened to me. Freaked me out at first, now my body is semi lean, mean fat burning machine. Also, but your cardio or excercise routine. Lift heavier, or do longer cardio. You probably hit plateu. Even if you do an extra 10 minutes of cardio, or lift an extra 2.5 lbs, it makes a world of difference. Up it a minute each week, or an extra 2.5 lbs a week. You'll be stronger and leaner as time goes. Good luck!
  • ilikeowls
    Options
    I might get someone to look over my diary, I try to stick to what I plan but inevitably something comes up that's hard to say no too. I try to cook with as little oil as possible, I have an olive oil atomiser which means you use much less, so it's hard to estimate what I'm using, but if I put a teaspoon in my diary then I know I won't be far off.
  • ilikeowls
    Options
    Thank you all,

Sometimes a reassuring word is all you need to make you calm down and reassess the whole thing!
  • Drpepperz
    Drpepperz Posts: 5
    Options
    Yep stuff comes up! I think it's all anbout quantity, i'll still have some of my wifes brownies when she makes them for the kids, but instead of taking a 4" square, i cut it down to 1" and take smaller bite! ;)

It could very well be your scale, my scale will have a 1.5-2 lbs variation wether i'm on hardwoo or on tiles, that's why you should always use the same scale in the same spot on the same day at the same time.

How do you feel over all? If you feel better, well your doing something right :D
  • ilikeowls
    Options
    Well my motivation and fitness have gone up a lot, so I suppose I should be concentrating on that not just the numbers.

It's very true, I try to be moderate, sometimes it's hard (right now it's finals week of my law degree, so the stress is on!) but I try to be sensible. Sometimes it's ok to have a little something though!

Thanks!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Do your measurements and try on some old clothes, when I see a bigger number on the scale I always make that my next step. It could be a muscle gain, and it's just reflecting more in your readings. Don't let it get you down though!!