Unexplained weight gain

Options
Help!! I am starting to get frustrated! I have gained 16 lbs this week. I have walked 2-5 miles everyday and ate under 1400 calories. This is crazy. I asked my doctor and she said to come in for a visit but i dont really have time to go to the doctor any suggestions?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Broken scale?
  • titania_one
    titania_one Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would go in, if you are truly eating that much and exercising, only other possibility is fluid, and 16 lbs of fluid in a week is NOT normal, you should be seen. Good luck
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    16 lbs. in one week? I don't think that's possible.

Yes, is it a scale issue? Do you use a digital? Need new batteries? Can you give us more details that could be helpful?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    so you ate 56,000 calories over maintenance this week????????????

That would mean that you are consuming almost 10,000 calories a day ..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You've got to make the time to see the doc. If she wants to see you, she suspects something is very wrong and you should consider her advice as serious.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Unless you've eaten 56,000 calories above your maintenance (which is probably impossible). It's a technical issue look at your scales. My guess if you're using the same scales both last week and this weeks weight are wrong
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Why did you ask your doctor if you weren't going to do what she said? 16 pounds is a lot for one week, I'd make time for the doctor.
  • tiffysbabies012
    tiffysbabies012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am thinking its probably fluid retention its not the scales as my husband is weighing normally. I am under my caloric goal everyday according to my fitness pal i am not even eating the exercise calories so not sure
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal: If you are retaining that much water that fast, something could be very wrong. please make time to see the doctor.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am thinking its probably fluid retention its not the scales as my husband is weighing normally. I am under my caloric goal everyday according to my fitness pal i am not even eating the exercise calories so not sure

do you use a food scale to weigh all solids?
    do you log everything that you eat?

if you truly are showing a gain like this on a normally fluctuating scale, then I suggest that you make time to see a DR.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sign me the F up plz
  • tiffysbabies012
    Options
    I measure everything i eat i follow low carb diet and exercIse around an hr a day. I have called to schedule an appointment. By the way i am gaining 2-3 lbs everyday .
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    :trollface:
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Definitely something wrong here. Do you feel like your body is larger? Clothes getting tight? I would be super worried!
  • tiffysbabies012
    Options
    Scheduled an appointment with my doctor for friday
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have your thyroid checked.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This ^^^^^^

Tiffy,

How do your clothes fit? Have you changed the batteries in your scale, or if your scale is one of those old ones, get a new one.

Just to be one the safe side, get yourself to the doctor asap. This type of thing happened to my friend and, right after her MD appt, she was admitted to the hospital for surgery. That quick weight she put on turned out to be water retention from a medical issue that had to be corrected immediately. I'm not saying this to alarm you, but it's not normal to gain 16 pounds in a week unless you are truly bingeing on horrendous amounts of food.
  • SLLRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options

Fluid retention? This is not normal. Get to the doctor ASAP, please.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Friday? I advise you get in there now. Really. I don't even know you and I'm worried.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Friday? I advise you get in there now. Really. I don't even know you and I'm worried.

I agree go to the minute clinic/walk in if you have to. 16 pounds in a week is serious and somthing to have checked right away.