Exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    For me, that's 1200 calories a day irrespective of activity.

How can your activity be irrelevant? You're saying you need 1,200 to lose weight whether your burn is 100, 400, or 800 calories a day through additional activities? That if you ate 1,200 and burned 200, you would lose weight, but if you ate 1,400 and burned 400, you would not lose weight?

What you seem to be arguing is that your "calories out" doesn't matter and that doesn't match what we understand about how energy works.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Definitely eat them! If you're doing any kind of exercise, you're not eating enough. MFP wants you to *net* 1200, not eat 1200.

Plus, exercise calories are delicious.

This^

Besides your workouts need fuel. Do you want to lose weight (fat+muscle)...or do you want to lose mostly fat? Google skinny fat...it's what happens when you try to lose weight too fast.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Oh and been doing this for over a year now, totally sustainable. I started off on more but then weight loss slowed - well halted for like 3 months. After much tweaking and trying different things, to lose 1lb a week minimum, I can't eat anymore than 1200 cals a day even with exercise. Still want to lose another stone and the only way it comes off consistently is to eat no more than this. So, not been aggressive - weight loss still around 1lb a week if I'm very religious about it and yes I weigh all my food etc. Works for me.

The concern here is metabolic adaptation on 1200 calories. You're artificially keeping your metabolism low by consuming low calories coupled with exercise, and that's the reason you put on weight if you eat more than 1200. The question becomes what long term damage are you doing to hit a weight loss goal? Your body is deciding what functions to slow down at this point. Then what if you stall again? Do you lower your calories even more?

Reading your posts it seems you don't really care for other's opinions, which is fine. But the goal for weight loss should be to eat as MUCH as possible while losing weight. You have to ask yourself why someone with your stats can lose weight on 1600 calories a day?

Well I wasn't asking for opinions, I was giving my opinion to someone else's comment. But yes I agree - the goal for weight loss is to eat as MUCH as possible while losing weight. For me, that's 1200 calories a day irrespective of activity. I find it interesting that people won't believe this or don't want to but I'm not moaning about it or advocating everyone does it. It's just what I have found - after many months using MFP, the thing that works for me. And I'm honestly okay with it, I'm not hungry (yeah, I crave more cake!) probably cause I eat nutritiously and I have lost body fat and I'm healthier than I have ever been! I'd hope for a 'well done'. I'm really proud of my success. Over 14 months or so, 1stone7lb down. I'm still 9stone5lb so still at the upper end of the right weight range for my height and age.. and can still lose more.. which I'd like to do by doing what I'm doing which is working. Hopefully I won't stall much but if I do then it's probably because I can't lose more weight unless I eat even less.. which I won't do.. so then I will maintain I guess. I'm not sure. Wouldn't this be the case for everyone? Everyone will get to a point where they aren't loosing weight the more weight they lose.. and goal weights are those set by that person.. but say they decide to move the goal weight? Anyway, it's working for me. Thanks for the concern but I'm alright at the moment. Ta

And what will you do when you go off of 1,200 calories per day? If you're going to gain weight then, and can't shift it without going 1,200 calories.. what next?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Oh and been doing this for over a year now, totally sustainable. I started off on more but then weight loss slowed - well halted for like 3 months. After much tweaking and trying different things, to lose 1lb a week minimum, I can't eat anymore than 1200 cals a day even with exercise. Still want to lose another stone and the only way it comes off consistently is to eat no more than this. So, not been aggressive - weight loss still around 1lb a week if I'm very religious about it and yes I weigh all my food etc. Works for me.

The concern here is metabolic adaptation on 1200 calories. You're artificially keeping your metabolism low by consuming low calories coupled with exercise, and that's the reason you put on weight if you eat more than 1200. The question becomes what long term damage are you doing to hit a weight loss goal? Your body is deciding what functions to slow down at this point. Then what if you stall again? Do you lower your calories even more?

Reading your posts it seems you don't really care for other's opinions, which is fine. But the goal for weight loss should be to eat as MUCH as possible while losing weight. You have to ask yourself why someone with your stats can lose weight on 1600 calories a day?

Well I wasn't asking for opinions, I was giving my opinion to someone else's comment. But yes I agree - the goal for weight loss is to eat as MUCH as possible while losing weight. For me, that's 1200 calories a day irrespective of activity. I find it interesting that people won't believe this or don't want to but I'm not moaning about it or advocating everyone does it. It's just what I have found - after many months using MFP, the thing that works for me. And I'm honestly okay with it, I'm not hungry (yeah, I crave more cake!) probably cause I eat nutritiously and I have lost body fat and I'm healthier than I have ever been! I'd hope for a 'well done'. I'm really proud of my success. Over 14 months or so, 1stone7lb down. I'm still 9stone5lb so still at the upper end of the right weight range for my height and age.. and can still lose more.. which I'd like to do by doing what I'm doing which is working. Hopefully I won't stall much but if I do then it's probably because I can't lose more weight unless I eat even less.. which I won't do.. so then I will maintain I guess. I'm not sure. Wouldn't this be the case for everyone? Everyone will get to a point where they aren't loosing weight the more weight they lose.. and goal weights are those set by that person.. but say they decide to move the goal weight? Anyway, it's working for me. Thanks for the concern but I'm alright at the moment. Ta

Congrats on your success... But I think you didn't understand my comment, and you're missing the point. From your posts, it's a little obvious that you don't care for other posts giving a contrary argument about eating back exercise calories. I never stated you were asking for opinions. Honestly, I really don't care what you want to do. It's your body. My point for you and the OP is the "concern" others are stating is that of metabolic adaptation on low calories. 1200 is the lowest recommended intake for a non-active woman. Add exercise and that amount should be increased. Yes, everyone will get to a point where if they want to lose more they either have to lower calories or increase activity - but going below 1200 isn't healthy, and increasing activity on a 1200 diet won't be sustainable. Basically, you are adapting your body to thrive on 1200 calories. As I stated, other bodily functions are therefore slowing down. I have no doubt it's "working" for you, and others. The "concern" is long-term health. 1200 calories over an extended period of time, coupled with exercise, can have negative effects on hormones etc. Those that say they don't "feel" hungry in these scenarios, don't understand that their leptin and ghrelin levels are out of wack. Hunger isn't a sign that your body is or isn't getting enough energy.

But again, do what you want.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options

And what will you do when you go off of 1,200 calories per day? If you're going to gain weight then, and can't shift it without going 1,200 calories.. what next?

I need to eat no more than 1200 to lose weight. Once I am finished losing I will obviously up it to maintain. By the way it makes perfect sense. If I don't exercise I only burn about 1700 cals according to FITBIT. So it's obvious I need to eat around 1200 a day to lose weight at around 1lb a week.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Congrats on your success... But I think you didn't understand my comment, and you're missing the point. From your posts, it's a little obvious that you don't care for other posts giving a contrary argument about eating back exercise calories. I never stated you were asking for opinions. Honestly, I really don't care what you want to do. It's your body. My point for you and the OP is the "concern" others are stating is that of metabolic adaptation on low calories. 1200 is the lowest recommended intake for a non-active woman. Add exercise and that amount should be increased. Yes, everyone will get to a point where if they want to lose more they either have to lower calories or increase activity - but going below 1200 isn't healthy, and increasing activity on a 1200 diet won't be sustainable. Basically, you are adapting your body to thrive on 1200 calories. As I stated, other bodily functions are therefore slowing down. I have no doubt it's "working" for you, and others. The "concern" is long-term health. 1200 calories over an extended period of time, coupled with exercise, can have negative effects on hormones etc. Those that say they don't "feel" hungry in these scenarios, don't understand that their leptin and ghrelin levels are out of wack. Hunger isn't a sign that your body is or isn't getting enough energy.

But again, do what you want.

But 1200 cals for my body is different to 1200 cals for a 6ft 24year old woman. It's not one size fits all. Just General guidance. Averages. I simply don't need as many calories!

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories back, lost 37 pounds in 98 days with my calories set at one pound a week loss. Hey, if it works for you and you feel good...keeping doing it...Guess what guys..we may gain all our weight back and more that's what keeps sites like this business. I've gained my weight back several times, with the help of this website I'm trying to eat correctly to improve my overall health.
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I believe you---I am the same. I have lost 8 lbs in 9 weeks....I can only lose at 1200 a day regardless of exercise. (Actually, with exercise/weights 5 days a week!)
    Not everyone is the same.

Great job on your loss!! I can only hope to be as successful:)