Nothing after 6 PM

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I train people from 5-7pm most days of the week. So I usually don't eat dinner till 8pm. Then snack till 11:30pm.

CICO is really all that matters when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No reason to do this. A calorie is a calorie regardless of when it is eaten. Do yourself a favor and don't set silly rules for you to follow. Eat when you are hungry, eat as close as possible to your MFP calorie guide, and move as much as possible. That is all you need.
  • spencepalms
    spencepalms Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hell no...I'm usually still at the office...if I'm lucky, I'm just getting home or will be home shortly after 6.

There is no magic to not eating after 6...none at all. It simply came about as yet another way/method to restrict calories...that's it...there's nothing more magical than that about it.

I disagree with your statement. I don't eat anything after 6pm and I lost 80lbs in 1 year. Granted, I worked hard but I ate at the top of every hour from 9am to about 2pm and worked out from 6pm-7pm. I do have a protein shake, but nothing else.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I don't eat after 7 PM or 8 PM, that's when I realize the greatest and most consistent weight loss. I found the easiest way to make that happen is for me to avoid TV at night. I've got plenty of other activities to do in the evening, so I don't really miss TV at all....or all those commercials that are constantly peddling food in my direction.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hell no...I'm usually still at the office...if I'm lucky, I'm just getting home or will be home shortly after 6.

There is no magic to not eating after 6...none at all. It simply came about as yet another way/method to restrict calories...that's it...there's nothing more magical than that about it.

I disagree with your statement. I don't eat anything after 6pm and I lost 80lbs in 1 year. Granted, I worked hard but I ate at the top of every hour from 9am to about 2pm and worked out from 6pm-7pm. I do have a protein shake, but nothing else.

That wasn't magic. You had a calorie deficit. Period. The timing of it only matters if it helps you stick to your calorie deficit. You could wake up and eat in the middle of the night and as long as you have a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

what part of my statement are you disagreeing with? You are in a deficit of energy and thus lost weight...it has nothing to do with the timing of your intake...you are making a spurious correlation.

I lost 40 Lbs and I eat dinner every night at around 8:30 PM. Losing weight is simply a mathematical equation.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

what part of my statement are you disagreeing with? You are in a deficit of energy and thus lost weight...it has nothing to do with the timing of your intake...you are making a spurious correlation.

I lost 40 Lbs and I eat dinner every night at around 8:30 PM. Losing weight is simply a mathematical equation.

Same here. I lost weight and competed in a bodybuilding competition all while having a snack between 9:00-10:00 PM. It wasn't magic, it was the calorie balance.
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    No, truth be told as long as you exercise and create a deficit you'll still lose weight. Just as someone told me (A certified and well known dietitian) "The only reason why you shouldn't eat after 6 pm is because you don't feel like eating after 6pm. Otherwise there is NO reason you shouldn't". I eat dinner everyday post workout after 11 pm. INCLUDING carbs for muscle repair :D
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think what she means is that she is busting her calories at that point in the day. So there is a few solutions to this problem:

1. Stop eating at 6PM
    2. Start eating later in the day
    3. Eating less calories earlier in the day so you have some wiggle room in the evening

I personally use the 2nd tip the most. I usually have breakfast in the late morning/early afternoon, that way I don't run out of calories before by the end of the day. I also have found that eating a protein and fat based breakfast keeps me feeling fuller for longer!

There's no magic trick, it's all about finding a way to eat that satisfies you and helps you keep within your calorie goal! I hope this helps, good luck! :)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

So that worked for you but there's still nothing magical about it. I eat later in the evening but then don't have anything until 11-ish the next day. Nothing special about doing that. It's just the way I like to arrange my calorie intake. I also eat a burrito almost every day but I don't think that's some weight loss secret either.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Because I stay up late I always eat my dinner between 7pm and 8pm every night. I eat later so that I don't snack.
    You can eat whatever time fits best into your schedule and as long as you are eating at a deficit you WILL lose weight. I don't care what anyone says, I am living proof!
    65lbs gone from eating all the foods I love at the time of day or night of my choosing.
    The only thing I did differently was to stay at or below my deficit every single day.
    I've been on maintenance now for about 6 months and all is right with the world.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think the "don't eat after a certain" time mindset sets you up for failure. Granted, if that works for you, and you can stick with it, that's awesome. But if your body burns 2000 calories a day, and you eat 3000 calories a day, then it won't matter if you eat them before, or after 6pm. You're body isn't going to say "I consumed 1000 more calories than I burned, but I did it all before 6pm, so I'm going to lose weight." Nor is your body going to say "I ate 1000 more calories than I burned, but I didn't eat them until 6:01pm, so I'm going to put on weight." As a friend of mine used to say: "S**t ain't that serious."
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    ..but...bed snacks...

LOL this!!!
    TV snack.
  • barbiereynolds701
    barbiereynolds701 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am usually done eating by 730 pm and aim to be in bed by 930pm. I sleep better when ive had a little time to digest whatever ive eaten. And I usually am not hungry until 8ish in the morning. Thats just my body. Its different for everyone