My struggle as BeachBody Coach

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
I've been looking around the BB forums and just about hit my limit with the amount of poor information being spread in the name of "helping".

It's really why I'm going to bow out of actively trying to coach....so bear with me, long post coming up, and no this isn't coming from not hardly making money it comes with fundamental ideas with beachbody that I don't agree with, and yes, this will piss a LOT of people off.

1.) There is a stigma surrounding BB coaches....if you don't think there is, you're blind. The second people see BB coaching, they run.

2.) If you are a coach, you should be certified in some way. If YOU are NOT, then YOU are NOT qualified to help anybody on their fitness journey in any way shape or form, with the exception of "oh you look great, keep working!" Don't give advice, don't offer nutritional information, ESPECIALLY no form or or modification advice if there is no modification on screen.....just....no. That's my BIGGEST beef with things. If people get hurt on a program YOU sell them, then YOU can be held liable.....if I give one of my custom designed programs to a client, regardless of waiver signing, I am held liable, it's why as a trainer I HAVE to carry liability insurance. Plus, if you are NOT in shape, then, while you may know or live the struggle, and want to help, you have NO IDEA how to do it because YOU haven't done it yet! You don't have to be perfect, but please, please PLEASE, be in better shape than me, and KNOW what the hell you're talking about OUTSIDE of regurgitating BB information or "what you read on a blog." Thee is SO MUCH mis-information and unsafe information put out there by unqualified people that it boggles the mind. There seems to be a fundamental difference between coaches who are trainers and coaches -- coaches who are trainers don't say things like "well here's what works for me", they get to the direct root of the problem and work on a solution that "works for them". It's incredibly easy to spot those folks.

3.) I'm not on board with Shakeology and yes, I DO believe that Beachbody is hiding things to support the hype. There are ZERO papers that can really tell you what's in it (exact amount of each "super fruit" for instance, not ingredients), and the only studies with Shakeology do NOT differentiate weight loss, diabetes, lower cholesterol etc with a direct effect of Shakeology because there is no control group. Plus, BB SHOVES it down the coaches throat! Basically, if you DON'T drink it (I hate the stuff, people love it, that's cool, I don't and won't drink it), you're a bad coach. The marketing of "ask me how you can drink your shakeology for free" is ridiculous. I'd rather take the $90 and buy a year's worth of other supplements. People CAN and WILL lose weight with out it, it's been done before, it will happen in the future (me). I'm tired of hearing Shakeology is essential to weight loss, it's not, that is a lie to get people to buy it. That's like saying (borrowing from Colbert) "World Hunger crisis is over, I just ate."

4.) The business is about helping people and building relationships....yes it is....I agree with that. BUT, what good is the relationship if you don't get a "coach" out of it. You've got another internet friend....great! Good for you! Another person to take away your time that you could be spending with people face to face rather than digitally. People are working their *kitten* off to sell this stuff, and the ratio of people who are coaches and who are coaches that do this full time will probably never be revealed. Over 50% of "coaches" never draw a single check. That leads right back to more people who have no business telling people what to do regarding fitness trying to turn lives around in an unsafe and irresponsible way.

Now, you'll notice I didn't say one thing about any of their programs. I DO believe in their programs. I think they are fantastic, and I will wear the brand with pride because I've DONE the programs, I understand the "why" behind the progression, and the clothing looks good! If it helps generate a few sales, then so be it, but my first plan of action is to get a client for personal training, to build that relationship face to face and to be a catalyst for them to unlock their potential. I will remain a coach because I've got a friend who drinks the Shakeology and buys it from me so it pays for my monthly coaching fee (which the "website" stuff is really a joke, it's cut and paste and not customized, so being included in the "price" isn't really value), and I still get the program discounts, which I will happily buy.

Replies

• kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your honest post.
    I have been contemplating and researching BB for a few weeks now. I personally have a "coach" who is also my Zumba instructor and she is great. Not pushy and lets me join free challenges without buying stuff. I do like the workouts but don't like the idea of the shakeology at all. I have watched youtube videos about the "business" and realize that the shakes make up a large portion of the sales and to stay "active".
    I really wish there was a better business or way to make extra cash with my love of fitness. BB is such a disappointment. Like you said, no nutritional info, no certification as a "coach" other then you paid the fee, etc.
    I guess I will remain a customer with the occasional purchase of a workout.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that a lot of the negativity is from the underhanded way in which coaches seek new recruits. They treat MFP like a pre-stocked pond for them to fish in, joining and offering "Free 5 day clean eating challenges" and then getting defensive and deflective when they're called out for being "coaches". Most of them have NO qualifications and haven't even successeded in their own losses - they're just trying to get their own program cheaper by gulling people into signing up. Any kind of deceptive advertising pisses me off, and the way these people use it against vulnerable people looking to improve their lives just makes me angry.

Not saying all coaches are like that, just that this is the overwhelming impression I've formed of BB coaches from being on MFP, and if that's the impression formed by someone who has had nothing to do with it, then they obviously have a major image problem and some huge issues with who they let "coach".
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    What's beachbody? :)
  • joehempel
    Options
    Wow, I've completely forgotten about this post!!

I'm in no way shape or form saying that some beach body coaches are "bad" coaches, in fact, my upline is absolutely great.

As far as coaching yeah, I know they don't have to have qualifications, this is actually a big beef of mine on the BB forums as well. People go into the "expert" forums and give dangerous information regarding nutrition or physical activity. For instance -- Insanity Max 30 has a low impact modifier, so your knees will be fine after that surgery you had 3 months ago to repair a torn meniscus. That's the program I'd do! Woo!

@Adam2k10 thanks for not closing it! I wasn't advertising as you can see, it was just information about my experience of being a coach. BB no doubt in my mind makes 90% of their money from coaches and discount coaches.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of coaches, I think peer coaching/support COULD be powerful, but beach body is obviously mlm and like you said, coaches take on roles as advisors without the knowledge - dangerous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Like the OP, I believe that BB workout programs and series are very good. What does chase people away is the MLM of diet programs being advertised by coaches. I've even had people in my own gym trying to get me to ambassador the product, which I've never supported since it's inception.
    Admire the OP for honesty.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joehempel
    Options
    Ninerbuff, I respect your opinion a whole lot more than 99% of the people on here, that means a lot coming from you!
  • ard50
    ard50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old blog, but i'll just put it out there...

My question is, what defines "coaching", "advice", vs "encouragement" and "support". It is ok for a bb coach to encourage and support a client.... but not provide advice without qualifications? An example I have is this lady I know who has no qualifications. She posts coming from an eating disorder in her past. She professes how much the bb programs have helped overcome her illness as well as physical injuries. She also posts many motivational quotes like "nothing great comes from comfort zones". She recently posted a comment to acknowledge one of her clients who thanked her for giving her the determination to get healthy/fit. She went on to say how her client woke up very sick but worked out anyway. Followed by praising her client for having the determination to work out sick, all this for her other followers to retain.

This is dangerous behavior. She technically isn't giving "advice" on anything.... she is offering support and encouragement right? Yet this "support" can be extremely damaging to her followers/clients, especially ones coming from a similar background as herself, hence mental illness. People should never work out when they are really sick. ... peolle could die for crap sakes.

What do you think?
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    First I want to say that I LOVE some of the bb workouts! Shakeology is not my thing. I do not belong to or "coach" with bb...I would feel so fake calling myself a coach...Anyway

There is a lot of dangerous misinformation going on with some of these coaches...very scary. One person I knew told her fb group that shakeology cured severe clinical depression, ms and other illnesses. (Dumping necessary prescription medication forever for shakeology yo....)

This group leader didn't like being called out by a healthcare professional and had her mlm minions attack. It was quite comical, eye opening and very sad to see how people will blatantly endanger others with false hope for profit...

Not all bb coaches are like that and there are some really cool people who truly want to help but if I were bb the company I would definitely attempt to make changes regarding my "coaching" policy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    F...One person I knew told her fb group that shakeology cured severe clinical depression, ms and other illnesses. (Dumping necessary prescription medication forever for shakeology yo....)

That makes me so angry. And BB's culture is such that, even if they don't encourage people to directly tell these lies, they certainly don't actively stop them. I could just slap someone who peddled crap like that.
  • msbookwormgeek
    msbookwormgeek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have become very angry with a friend who is a beachbody coach recently...that anger (and Google ;)) led me to this post. I like the programs, but I do not like some of the crap they do. Here's my beef (sorry, it's kinda long).

Last May, this friend invited me to her "health and fitness support group" where everyone shares their fitness journeys. I did not know the group was a Beachbody group...she did not make that part clear. She said, and I quote, "this isn't a group where it's all beachbody and nothing else". When this friend invited me to her group, I had just started back to trying to lose some weight…I gained a lot due to some medications and wanted to get it off. I told her before I joined the group that I don’t do hardcore fitness programs and I was just walking. She said that was fine. So, since I wasn’t doing BB programs at the time, I was sharing what I *was* doing. I was walking and doing Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos. I would share that in the group. She would even cheer me on. My understanding was that the group was for support and accountability. I finally did do a Beachbody program when I felt ready…I did 21DF and I *killed* my knee. I have knee issues anyway, so I quit that program, but went back to it and completed it when I felt ready (after doing more Walk At Home workouts)….and I modified the things that I knew would hurt my knee. I will never be one to do Insanity or something like that, but I tried another program from Shaun T called Cize…I like that. It’s low impact and fun for me. I also recently got their newly released program called Country Heat. I’m getting to my point. My point is, I have a friend in the group who is over 300 lbs. I need to lose about 60 more pounds and I could barely do the 21DF workout when I was 35 lbs heavier than I am now. She is doing 21DF now. She is modifying, but she’s too heavy to do everything. There is one workout on there called Pilates Fix. She posted in the group for suggestions for alternatives she could do, so I told her about some Leslie Sansone videos that I knew could help her strengthen the same muscles and build up to 21DF. I was trying to help. Then, my friend, the Beachbody coach, deleted my comment to her and messaged me immediately after I posted and asked me to refrain from posting other products in “our private beachbody group”. Okay, that’s fine…I won’t, but I’m frustrated because I had been posting that stuff all of this time (over a year) and she never said anything before. Also, it was okay to post other workouts before, but it now isn’t? It felt like she changed the rules on me, but didn't tell me and then she gets mad that I posted a workout that she's not selling. Additionally, one thing that gets on my nerves about her is she is always posting selfies on her FB page with how great she looks. I’m not jealous. I’m happy for her, but it makes me wonder if she’s a narcissist? I am trying to figure out why I am so upset that she asked me not to post about something that I think can help someone…it makes me feel like I was right all along and her primary purpose is just selling stuff. She would even tell me before that it didn't matter if someone bought something from her or not. I guess it does? If it didn't matter, I don't think she would be threatened by it? Also, people used to post in there about Zumba. I guess she might have messaged them and asked them not to post about that, too, b/c I haven't seen any Zumba posts lately. Hmm...

I *thought* she had a big heart and until that happened, I thought her goal was to help people and sell stuff secondarily. Now I’m not so sure.

Sorry so long and thank you for taking time to read if you do!
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Pretty close to a pyramid scheme, no thanks.
  • msbookwormgeek
    msbookwormgeek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    F...One person I knew told her fb group that shakeology cured severe clinical depression, ms and other illnesses. (Dumping necessary prescription medication forever for shakeology yo....)

That makes me so angry. And BB's culture is such that, even if they don't encourage people to directly tell these lies, they certainly don't actively stop them. I could just slap someone who peddled crap like that.

I experienced that, too! This woman would say that you don't need prescription meds for anything if you drink shakeology. It really made me angry, too, b/c that is ridiculous...and I happen to be a person that suffers from clinical depression and an anxiety disorder. I do not need to go off my meds...and I do not need shakeology. smh
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Beachbody is a business. Their goal, like any business is to make make money.

I have zero use for their shakeology product or their business model of "coaches", who when decide they want to do it, gain a small financial benefit from the purchases the "coach" has make a purchase.

I was asked almost I instantly when I made a DVD purchase from their site if I wanted to be a "coach". If that term isn't fraudulent as it applies to me, not sure what is. I was assigned a coach and told her off the bat to not bother me with anything or she'd be dropped.

She also shares a FB page with a few other coaches and their page is actually quite relaxed and open to other products which people conversation from time to time.

Like others, I do like a few of their exercise dvds, but that's it. I don't think highly of shakeology or any other purchased meal drink by any other company.

To say that it could replace a prescribed medication is simply sad.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »
    My struggle as BeachBody Coach

Growing your pyramid?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Bumping

Why though?

So I can go back to it later if I wanted to :)