Depression, Anxiety, & weight problems

Options
Have you had weight-loss success despite your anxiety, depression, food addiction and emotional eating?

Please share your advice here! I know I'm not the only one!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want within your calorie goal (and any medical issues you have). Learn portion control/weigh and measure your food. Going over doesn't mean you've lost it and should pack it in; log it, dust yourself off, and start up again tomorrow.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its difficult to put one foot in front of the other, but I found I just got on with things and having worked out a routine I stuck with it. Its been fun and have really enjoyed the exercise part, which can make you feel much better after a time. Get some friends on here who understand and be prepared to take action if you wnat to change things.
  • TickingPwny
    TickingPwny Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually! I've both lost and maintained despite having all of these (though my food addiction is a sugar addiction).

When I'm anxious, I either exercise to blow off steam or, if I don't have that kind of time, brew some tea or coffee (both plain/black), as I find that the warmth and sting of a hot beverage tends to calm me down. Admittedly, though, there are times where I just say "screw it" and grab some chocolate; I'll fit it into my allotment for the day and try to be good from there.

Depression is a tricky thing, but I find that accomplishing even one thing during the day makes me feel a little better--just try not to treat it with food. Do something. Make your bed. Clean a room. Run some errands. I get hit hard by the summer blues, but keeping my mind off just STUFF really helps: a couple summers ago I made it a goal to reorganize and rid the entire house (messy pantry included) of clutter, and this summer I plan to redo my bedroom (I still live at home) and turn it into a cheap, mostly handmade writer's paradise.

To curb emotional eating, I suggest noshing on something light and low-calorie that will keep your hands and mind occupied (same case with anxiety if food is how you remedy it). By this I mean "nibbly" things: unshelled nuts or seeds, edamame, baby carrots, little pretzels, anything small or slightly inconvenient to eat. Popcorn and cereal (with the occasional chocolate crackers) are my favorites, and the little carb fix that comes along with those tends to help.

Something that helps with my sugar addiction is putting one of my temptations in front of me or in my grasp but telling myself I can't/shouldn't eat it. Think of how you'd train a dog, or that moment in The Fault in our Stars when the kid makes that metaphor out of a cigarette (putting it between his lips but never giving it the power to hurt him). I know this strategy isn't for the weak, but if you think you can handle it, I thought I'd mention it in case you ever might want to give it a try.

You kind of have to trick yourself, but by learning to treat everything else without food, the dwindling of your food addiction may follow. Save a few calories for your "moments" if you're really worried about slipping up, and that way you won't end up sabotaging yourself.

Feel free to add me! I suffer from the same issues and would love to help/gain some support.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was binge drinking (sometimes binge eating but not as often) and generally not taking care of myself due to anxiety/depression. I finally broke down and got help--got started on medication, seeing a therapist. After struggling with this since my teens, its been the best thing I've ever done for myself.

That was 6 weeks ago. I've lost 13 pounds so far...its been amazingly easy ever since regaining my will to live and better myself both physically and emotionally.

You'll make it. Best of luck to you...if you want, you can add me.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes! What has worked for me is
    *making sure I'm managing my depression as effectively as possible (meds, dr's appts, regular mild exercise I enjoy, light therapy in the winter),
    *trying not to blame myself for the inevitable setbacks,
    *trying to recognize when I'm using food to deal with feelings and caring for myself in other ways instead,
    *giving myself very easy goals to reach, so I'm less likely to spiral into the pit of "you're a terrible person, you're so weak, why are you even trying this" etc. etc., and
    *being good to yourself. That includes allowing yourself breaks from your routine, forgiveness when you slip up, and a lot of gentleness. It does not mean giving yourself a pass on doing something- just that you should recognize that there may be many reasons you're finding something hard, and it's better and more effective in the long run to try to tease those out than to beat yourself about the head for your very human difficulties.

Best of luck!
  • MzPrizzy
    MzPrizzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I suffer from both anxiety and depression. While on antidepressants I gained a considerable amount of weight. Now I'm attempting to get the weight off again and really appreciate all of your feedback. My main tactic for weight loss is first stay inside of my calorie allotment. Recently, I started looking at the nutrition aspect to make sure I'm eating healthily as well. Second, I try to make sure I eat some type of bean and drink lots of water that gives me a fuller feeling throughout the day. Last and most important thing is to actually "log" my food. If I don't, I let it get away from me. This app helps me hold myself accountable. Please add me if you'd like. I'd appreciate the support!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Logging an accurate deficit is the most important for weight loss, but where depression/anxiety is concerned then exercise is a powerful weapon.
  • maryleahy11
    maryleahy11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. It's so great to know that I'm not alone in this battle.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with low to moderate depression and anxiety most of my adult life. I've used both food and alcohol to self-medicate. I've been prescribed antidepressant medication just after my daughter was born but just could not bring myself to take it.

Over the years I've discovered one thing that really works. It never fails me. Regular cardio exercise. And numerous psychological studies back this up. The hardest part is doing it. There are days when I'll play all sorts of mind games with myself in order to avoid it. But if I go more than a week without exercise, the anxiety and depression comes back. So while exercise is a good thing with regard to weight loss and maintenance, I mostly do it for mood stabilization and that is enough to motivate me to get my butt off the sofa.

Obviously, you should see your doctor for advice and not take advice from a message board but that is what works for me. I wish you luck and happier days.
  • Audry_dancer
    Audry_dancer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and was severely depressed when I began trying to lose weight. However, having a goal and focusing on getting myself eating right and exercising really helped me! I did cave sometimes and binge ate. But when I did, what helped was telling myself "One day won't make you fat, one day won't make you skinny". Feel free to add me! I'm about halfway to my weight goal.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to add that other haven't, but I've had major recurring depression since I was 11. Over the years I've been on just about every antidepressant out there, and hated what they did to me.

Finally after a suicide attempt from a medication now listed as an allergy to me, my doctor suggested I try some natural remedies - vitamin D in the form of sunshine, plenty of exercise, and healthy eating. Since I wanted to lose weight anyway, I went with it.

And you know what? I've been off medication for over a year now, and I'm doing well. TOM brings a few days of depression, but I make sure I plan to get in some quality gym time and my husband takes care of our daughter so I can get plenty of sleep. I feel better these days than I have in years, and I never would have thought it possible. I always thought I was doomed to suffer forever, or become a zombie on medications. I didn't believe a healthy lifestyle could really change anything... but it did. For me, anyway.

I'm not perfect. I have bad days. But I'm worlds better than I used to be, and if this lifestyle keeps me off the medications... I'll do this forever.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My OH says I suffer with it, and that I have terrible mood swings, I don`t take tablets and the last two weeks I have got up early to exercise before work and some at night. I`m feeling a lot better about myself, now the weather is better I am now going to a lunchtime walk away from the office. Striking the right exercise level and for me keep away from gluten (IBS) makes me feel better - feel free to add me
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. Counting calories takes the fear and guesswork out of things. The feeling of control it gives me makes me happy. Being slim and fit makes me happy ALL DAY.
  • charliebitesback
    charliebitesback Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I suffered with ednos for five years and had lost quite a bit despite my rapid weight loss. I felt horrid though, and it resulted in losing everything I had worked for.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes. I also suffer from anxiety, depression, and insomnia and used to treat them with food. Improving my diet, both to make it more nutritious and make sure I eat the right foods and often enough to prevent hypoglycemia, which I'm prone to, helps. As does regular exercise. However, I still suffer from all three, just typically not as often or severe. I agree with the advice from the above posters. I would also suggest meditation and deep breathing exercises.

The emotional eating is a tricky one. You have to really pay attention to identify whether you're actually hungry. Keep the foods you eat in those circumstances out of the house. Forgive yourself because there will be backsliding. Don't be idle, especially if you're particularly anxious and/or depressed. Go for a walk, clean something, indulge your hobbies. If you're watching TV, do something with your hands at the same time (fold laundry, knit, etc.).
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I used to have a lot of issues with emotional eating/bingeing/sneaking food. One of the things that really helped was talking to a counselor to help sort out the "why" behind it all. Once I had started to deal with that, the rest seemed less daunting.

I also have issues with anxiety and panic - it landed me in the hospital a couple of years ago. I've managed to work my way off of medication, and the episodes are few and far between. When they do happen, I better understand how to handle and manage them. Lifting is one of the things that helps me - it's an outlet for me, and it's one of the best anti-anxiety meds out there :-)
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes. I suffer from both anxiety and depression and I am an emotional eater. In the year I've been on here, I have lost 50 pounds. Posting everything (both food and exercise) helped more than I can express. I've made some good friends, and logging is motivational as hell. (Do I really want the fried pickles with ranch dressing? Does it fit my macros? Do I want to admit eating that?)
    I've managed to stick to my diet & exercise plan, even through my mom's cancer and eventual demise over the holiday season. I know for a fact that without the support of my friends, and the catharsis of having a judgement free place to vent, I would have buried myself in carbs covered in dairy. Instead, I posted here, and developed a serious relationship with my treadmill.
  • richellechouinard
    richellechouinard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am starting new again, but I suffer from depression and it has been an obstacle in weight loss in the past. I think that having friends and their support will help, and being open and honest about things and how we're feeling also. I have been learning about expressing myself, and I find that it is helping a lot. I'm talking through my emotions, and it makes me forget that I would usually be binge eating like crazy.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Have you sought the help of a therapist and nutritionist. It can be a lot harder to follow a meal plan when emotional problems are involved. It could be helpful to have someone trained in eating disorders or emotional eating to talk to about all of this
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've been blaming my 60 pound weight gain on quitting smoking - and yes, that did contribute - but I was losing the weight gradually after gaining 30 pounds after quitting. I'm from the New Orleans area, and Katrina hit and displaced me a little over a year after I quit smoking. I moved to another state and couldn't find a job. It went from bad to worse, it seemed. Depression overwhelmed me and I wasn't motivated to exercise or do much of anything. The pounds started to pile on. I've never had a sweet tooth, but I would eat stuff like cheese and crackers, LOTS of them. When I finally realized I had gained over sixty pounds from the day I quit smoking, it hit me like a hammer. Almost. I got down ten pounds, but it took me about six months; maybe longer, as I hadn't heard of MFP yet.

What finally got me motivated was an inexpensive group personal training session at my Y that lasted for six weeks, two hours a week. Since then, I've been a new person. Yes, depression still gnaws at me, but exercising is a great way to ward it off. I also got a doxie who loves to go for walks, and that helps tremendously.

Best of luck to you.