Teachers and Drinking Water

Options
2»

Replies

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just drink little by little at work....then drink the remainder over a period of time in the evening...
  • tbrown072
    Options
    I keep a case of water under my desk. (PE Teacher) or have a gallon water jug and just sip.
  • MonicaSmith98
    MonicaSmith98 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and my classroom is a trailer far away from any restroom. I drink water in the morning, at lunch, and I keep a water bottle in my car for the drive home. I know I do not drink enough during the work day but I do not have anyone who can watch my class while I run to the restroom. Definitely one of the worst parts of teaching.....
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's not easy, but I'm able to hold it until my lunch and planning period and then to the end of the day. There have been a few days I have almost called the front to see if anyone was available to watch my class, but I made it. I teach K and I talk A LOT so I find I drink 2-3 22oz bottles a day. It's tough, but I've gotten used to it.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have 1 and 2nd graders. I plan when i'm going to drink a bunch around when I know in the schedule that i'll be able to go. I drink 20-32 oz at a time(I don't know if this is healthy or not) Ex drink a lot at 10:20 because the kids go to lunch (and my lunch break) at 11. Drink a bunch at 2 cuz they go home at 3. My room is right next to the office and one time I had to go so badly that I had to ask the secretary to watch the kids!
    Good Luck!
  • reddincr
    reddincr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink way too much and never go to the restroom. Luckly I have 3rd period planning so it splits the day pretty well. Also it helps that I'm a high school teacher.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher as well. Luckily I have to walk the halls of the school all day and can stop if I have to. I have found that if I am moving I can sip water most of the morning without needing to go though. I have a 20 minute drive to school so I make sure I drink on the drive in the morning and the. Use the restroom before school starts. Then I will sip until about 11:30 which is right before lunch at 12. Then kids go home at 2 for me so I am good the rest of the day. Scheduling my drinking helps and just literally sipping helps a lot. If you are like me, I talk so much I have to sip just to keep my throat from going dry.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I didn't start drinking a decent amount of water until I stopped teaching. LOL! Now that my time is my own, I drink as much water as I want and I go to the bathroom as often as I need. B)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    About waking up in the middle of the night: I have to cut myself off from my water around 730-8 so I don't wake up to pee. I would try stopping at different times and see what works for you. I also used to just try to go back to sleep and not get up to pee so that I could sleep through the night (sounds so weird, but it works!)

Your body will get used to it soon!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it that much:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I drink all weekend long (water, not wine!). And at night. And during the summer. During the school year, it gets crazy busy and there have been days I have neither drank nor peed for 8 hours. Luckily, my kidneys have not retaliated, but several of my colleagues have had kidney stones; I wonder if there is a correlation?
  • valerie_neuharth
    valerie_neuharth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Are there any teachers out here? How do you manage to drink your daily recommended amount of water? I struggle with this because I can't just run to the bathroom whenever I need. Any advice on how you are getting your water in would be great!!!

I drink 20oz before lunch, 20 during lunch (then pee), then 10 the rest of the day. When I go home I drink another 20.

I have become very good at holding my bladder....and when I go to the bathroom, it's FABULOUS!

Hahaha.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I teach preschool. And I live in the desert. Walking around with a water bottle is just a way of life here.

I generally leave the classroom with my assistant so I can go to the restroom while the children are seated at the table eating snack. And again when we're with another class on the playground. Then at the start of my lunch break. And at the end of my lunch break. And again when we're combined with other classes on the playground again. If necessary, I'll call the office to send someone in to hang out with my class so I can go.

I usually space out my water slowly throughout the day, and drink a good portion of it in the evening at home.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, much of my fluid intake comes from food sources. Fruits are loaded with fluids, and don't fill your bladder as quickly. The milk in my cereal, soup, etc.