Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA)

Options
I am fairly new to this app but believe it tube very userfriendly. I was diagnosed with JRA when I was nine and am now 35 and am working a great full-time job as a study coordinator at Mayo Clinic in The Department of Rheumatology. My goal is to lose weight and gain strength to aid in a functional quality of life and reduce my stress level. I feel motivated to make my changes suitae to my everyday life. I don't want to do something that's just temporary. I also wish to provide others with RA or JRA with inspiration to get out of bed each day even with the utmost of pain and fatigue. I also wish to educate the general public about the disease and the challenges we face.

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Hi Mplagge9940, I am newly diagnosed with RA and am so glad to see this on MFP! When the GP diagnosed me and referred me to my rheumatologist I was scared, and angry, and confused; I thought I would have to give up being a nurse and that I was doomed to be in a wheelchair.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi Mplagge9940, I am newly diagnosed with RA and am so glad to see this on MFP! When the GP diagnosed me and referred me to my rheumatologist I was scared, and angry, and confused; I thought I would have to give up being a nurse and that I was doomed to be in a wheelchair.

I thought the same thing when I was diagnosed a few years ago. Thank God for advances in medical technology. I got into lifting to keep one step ahead of rheumatoid cachexia and it turned out to be a lot of fun.

• billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What a great idea for a topic. I do not have JRA or RA but, one of my best friends has JRA. I actually interviewed her for a research project I did in my Health Psychology class years ago. It was very interesting learning all about it. Good luck to all of you on your fitness and health journey.
  • BrickiLee
    BrickiLee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with RA when I was 14, and I'll be 26 next Thursday. It's challenging for us to stay active and healthy, but it can be done!

Outreach and awareness is also very important. So glad this topic was started! There are so many facets to RA (and other autoimmune diseases) that the general public just aren't aware of.