Addiction to ________ (fill in the blank)

Options
Hi MFP community! I wanted to start a discussion about various addictions and how they relate to diet and exercise. Many of us struggle with the overindulgence of food, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, drugs, etc. Sometimes it seems like we conquer one addiction to only replace it with another. I would love for us to post our afflictions (only if you feel comfortable) and receive support from fellow community members. Sometimes I feel very alone and it would be of great assistance to me at the moment if I knew other people were struggling, have struggled, or are recovering from these obstacles.

Here is mine:
As far as food goes I have always been addicted to sugar. I used to overeat cakes, cookies, candy, etc. At times in my life I have been very overweight, then I went to the other extreme and developed an eating disorder. I have the ED under control now, but I still struggle with cravings to binge on sugary treats.

I have also struggled with smoking cigarettes, alcohol, and opiate pain medication. By the grace of God, I have one and a half years clean from the medications. I rarely drink, and I stopped smoking (although I still use the nicotine gum) all in the past 2 years.

Every day is a struggle for me to find balance, eat healthy, exercise, and keep my brain from talking me into destructive behaviors; having a good social support system is key and I hope some of you benefit from this discussion.

Thank you very much for your kindness and support!
Freedom

Replies

• joshuaj728
    Options
    First off, congratulations on kicking the medicantion. I can relate on that subject. As far as my addictions go, I'm really bad with caffeine. I mean REALLY bad. I go through Redbull like there is no tomorrow. That being said, I HAVE cut the amount I drink by a lot, and will usually drink a few during work. I work at a country club and currently going to school for Culinary Arts, so I'm almost constantly in a stressful environment. Thankfully going to the gym has helped me tweet my habbit some.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mtn dew / coke and candy bars. Congrats on being clean so long! That's an amazing accomplishment.