Need help chosing a device to measure steps..

Options
I am after some advice to help chose a compatible fitness device for my phone and/or computer.

A friend has recently lent me her old Fitbit Flex to see if I liked keeping track of my steps and I find It has helped to motivate me. She has advised me to get a newer model for myself. So today I went and purchased a Fitbit Charge, though as my phone isn't yet compatible with Fitbit (I have the app though I cannot sync anything to it directly using bluetooth - It's not yet compatible), I rely on syncing to my computer directly.. However, I have just realized that Fitbit won't let anything other than a Flex, One or Zip sync with Windows XP.

I am feeling a bit frustrated.. I can either buy a Flex for myself, knowing that I am able to use this on the computer.. or see if there is another brand of device that is compatible with Windows XP or with my phone (Android Huawei G730)

Does anyone know if Garmen or anything else like it can sync with XP or my type of phone?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the only way to see if something is compatible with your phone is to look at the manufacturer's website - Garmin, etc. But in all likelihood: if its not compatible with one, probably won't be with the others either. I think it depends on the Bluetooth capabilities/software version on your phone.

As to the Windows version - that's probably a different story. Fitbit has the newest models, I think. Devices launches 1+ year ago may not have the same limitation on operating system. Again, check the device manufacturer specs thru their websites to see what they're compatible with.

As to devices - also think about what features you want. Wrist style or clip on the body? Do you need water proof, water resistant, or neither? Many other features as well... Personally I have the One and I'm very happy with it. Hubby has a Polar Loop, its a good device for him.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like my Jawbone UP...not the 24 but just the up. I purposely bought the one without bluetooth as I knew that there were issues with it.

I plug it into my phone headphone jack to sync it.

The Jawbone is similar to the fitbit (I have a fitbit and hate it) but I like the jawbone for it's looks. It has a movement alarm I have set to vibrate every 15mins without movement to remind me to get up (office worker) and I love the sleep function with the silent alarm. It syncs to MFP and it can be calibrated to my gait as well. It has a powernap function too which has come in handy.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Garmin's step tracker is the vivofit, I think? It currently does not sync with many Android phones: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={bbfc9660-8f77-11e3-d5f4-000000000000}. It may sync with Windows XP.

If you go here: https://connect.garmin.com/en-US/start/vivofit/express

Do you get the option to download the latest version of their Garmin Connect software or are you prompted to get the legacy version? I tried using the legacy version on my older Mac and it refused to sync with my watch. I use my work laptop instead. Garmin may not be a good option if you would have to use the legacy version of the software.

I, personally, would trade your Charge for a Fitbit Flex or One. I think the main difference between the Flex and the charge/One is data about stairs climbed. The Flex does not record this information. The Charge and One do.

~Lyssa
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I would return the charge and get the One instead. I have both the charge and the one. I got the one first and had it for over a year. I love it. The only reason I got the charge was because I wanted the heart rate monitor for when I'm weight lifting. Otherwise I would have just kept using my One.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd just get a Fitbit that is compatible with your computer (my hubby still runs Windows XP, I totally understand the love ;) ). If you liked the Flex, get the Flex (or look at One or Zip to see if you like those). Fitbit still makes the "last generation" models for a reason--people do love them, and they are still relevant.
  • caribcutie
    caribcutie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I second the Jawbone UP recommendation (not UP24). Slimmer appearance.

Great app interface with encouraging stats, quotes & sync with MFP, Map My Walk and more. App rates meals/nutrition that it sees in MFP. It has its own meal tracking component but MFP is much better.

The UP is older model (plug in earphone jack to synch) than UP24 (Bluetooth synch). I thought plugging in would be a hassle, but not so much. Plus it costs much less.

Bonus -- Jawbone has great customer service for set up, usage and even losing the cap.
  • caribcutie
    caribcutie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I won't reommendGarmin VivoSmart with heartrate monitor,which I tried before the UP and then returned after two weeks. Did not consistently synch. Odd results for sleep tracking. The app interface was paltry (especially now I've compared to Jawbone Up). For the much higher cost it was worth it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got the plain and simple fit bit zip. It counts my steps and syncs with mfp, my phone and computer. I'm pretty sure we still have xp
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I ended up returning the Charge for my own Flex. I figure I can always change it later on but for now it's good enough to help track everything I need. They tried talking me into upgrading XP to windows 7? But our PC is so old we were warned it might not cope lol
  • klnor88
    klnor88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I still prefer the fitbit flex because the fitbit charge felt too wide to me. The fun colors of bands that you can order online for the flex is an added bonus :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Some computers running Windows XP can go to Windows 7 just fine - but the older it is, the more help it would need. Not really worth the hassle just to use a new gadget.

Glad you got something you like :)

~Lyssa
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    klnor88 wrote: »
    I still prefer the fitbit flex because the fitbit charge felt too wide to me. The fun colors of bands that you can order online for the flex is an added bonus :)

Yes.. I am looking forward to experimenting with different coloured bands :) I did try the Charge on and found it to be pretty big on me - my wrists are pretty small and I usually love bulky watches etc but it was just a little bit too big :)