Almond vs soy

Options
which milk is healthier/better? almond unsweetened milk or soy?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I drink regular old milk myself...

"healthier/better" are very subjective terms...there is nothing inherently good or bad about either and there is nothing inherently bad about dairy unless you have an allergy.

You should look at it in RE to what is going to help you hit your calories, macros, and micros rather than trying to say "X is good" and "Y is bad"...matters of nutrition simply aren't that black and white.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In terms of taste, I prefer almond milk.

In terms of health, that is subjective and it depends on what YOU think is best for you
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I drink both, but I have been drinking soy more lately because it offers more protein. Now, if the protein content isn't an issue for you, drink what you like. Cashew milk is yummy too, but like almond, not so much protein. (Makes a great vegan white russian though) ;)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond over soy Also like the fact I can buy the six pack of almond milk at Costco and the experiation date is so far out. I think all variations are healthy. Regular milk upsets my stomach.
  • joellenbeck17
    Options
    I love Almond milk. Personally haven't tried soy. My children still prefer regular 2%milk so I typically buy both.
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've read that we should be careful with soy products because they're a heavily sprayed crop. This is why I drink almond but like everyone else says it's up to you :smile:
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Soy is a natural estrogen so I avoid consuming anything with soy if I can. I know when one of my best friends had cancer she was advised to not consume soy products from her naturopath...she was put into medical menopause as estrogen isn't a good thing with breast cancer, so that freaked me out when I heard that.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond. Soy can affect hormone levels so I tend to limit it
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Soy can affect your hormone levels, so some people say to have it in moderation. If you get soy milk, make sure its organic because non organic soy is highly GMO and sprayed with pesticides. Personally I don't like plain almond milk. I sometimes get a coconut/almond milk blend (Califia brand) which is pretty good and its creamy. I also drink organic cows milk. Usually when I want milk just for drinking, I'll use regular milk and use soy, almond, or coconut milk in coffees, tea, cereal etc.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I like the taste of both. In general soy is more protein, and almond is lower calorie, so pick whichever one works better for you.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond as well, but also love flax milk, it's super creamy and makes great hot cocoa. Soy like mentioned above has high levels of estrogen which may not affect some but may be harmful to others.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Soy does not, in fact, increase human estrogen levels, any more than the estrogen in cows milk. But, I do find that soy milk curdles in coffee, and I don't care for it unsweetened, but almond I like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like @bluworld says, estrogen is not a problem with soy. I prefer soy for the protein, although I will also drink almond sometimes.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    prefer almond or coconut. But if it has the additive carrageenan in it, i have to pass it up, that's a GI irritant for many peeps including me
    Love making almond milk in my blender it's so fragrant
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I personally drink the almond unsweetened milk
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Soy tastes way better than almond
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    unless you are allergic to either I think they're both fine. ALWAYS buy organic soy milk, and those commenting about almonds not being sprayed... do your research please.
    I'm in the air on if soy is bad for you, I know that if I eat soy I have anxiety/panic attacks.
    All in all I think almond milk tastes better, that being said, watch the sugar content and other ingredients they shove in there. Natural milk has 11g of sugar (lactose) per 8fl oz so they have to add about the same to make it taste as good. Most almond milks are made to pull people off dairy milk, so they "mimic" the taste. You can go for unsweetened if you want but at that point just buy a blender, some almonds, and blend them up with water then strain. You'll save a ton of money and pay for that blender in no time.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've always opted for almond because the unsweetened kind I purchase has only 30 calories per cup and 45% calcium! However, if you're concerned with protein I'd suggest soy.
    Flavor wise, I like them both, so it's mainly whatever is available or I'm in the mood for. There's some controversy over soy's safety and its effects on estrogen levels, but if you buy almond milk there may be carageenan (or however it's spelled), which has also raised controversy. Keep in mind, even cow's milk raises controversy. Everything is "bad" for you, so just try them both and stick with whichever you like more! Cheers!Xx
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Soy can affect your hormone levels, so some people say to have it in moderation. If you get soy milk, make sure its organic because non organic soy is highly GMO and sprayed with pesticides. Personally I don't like plain almond milk. I sometimes get a coconut/almond milk blend (Califia brand) which is pretty good and its creamy. I also drink organic cows milk. Usually when I want milk just for drinking, I'll use regular milk and use soy, almond, or coconut milk in coffees, tea, cereal etc.

Actually, soy doesn't affect estrogen. Soy contains phytoestrogens which bro science is woefully confused about. What to know what else has phytoestrogen?

Alfalfa
    Anise seed
    Apples
    Baker's yeast
    Barley
    Beets
    Carrots
    Cherries
    Chickpea
    Cowpeas
    Cucumbers
    Dates
    Eggplant
    Fennel
    Flaxseeds
    Garlic
    Hops
    Oats
    Olive oil
    Olives
    Papaya
    Parsley
    Peas
    Peppers
    Plums
    Pomegranates
    Potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Red beans
    Rhubarb
    Rice
    Sesame seeds
    Split peas
    Sunflower seeds
    Tomatoes
    Yams

Research in humans is, at best, inconclusive to the effects (If any) phytoestrogen has on the human system. Older research does link phytoestrogen intake to breast cancer rates in animals. Newer research mainly debunks that study and now hints (although, does not confirm) that phytoestrogen could actually help estrogen sensitive conditions like breast cancer.
  • cshankes
    cshankes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I perfer almond or cashew milk. I really like the creaminess of cashew milk plus the dates are longer than regular milk.