Vegetable Chips - Help!

Options
Hannah_Banana
Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
Okay so I don't eat enough veggies. :embarassed: I also crave crunchy, salty snacks. I am insulin resistant so I go low carb. This seemed like the PERFECT solution to two problems. I've looked at recipes, tried a few, but really need some help.

To anyone who has made/does make veggie chips... how do you get them not to be soggy? Not to taste vaugely burnt? What veggies are good? So far I've got Kale and Parsnips?

Help please :bigsmile:

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well....
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    carrots? parsnips.... beetroot.... yum!!

cover in tiny bit of oil and season

in the oven (mid heat) for 10mins and keep checking!

:)
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try these: http://www.eatsmartnaturals.com/

Garden Veggie Sticks.
  • jarias1031
    jarias1031 Posts: 4
    Options
    Parmesan and Black Pepper Potato Chips: Instead of salt, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper on one side of the potatoes. Proceed with baking.

Seasoned Salt Potato Chips: Sprinkle with seasoning salt and proceed with baking; the seasoning salt imparts a barbecue-like flavor.

Baked Sweet Potato Chips: Substitute one medium-size peeled sweet potato. Proceed with recipe above, altering the baking time to 22 to 27 minutes.

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chips: Substitute one medium-size peeled sweet potato. Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt for a warm and spicy flavor. Bake 22 to 27 minutes.

Baked Beet Chips: Slice two medium-size beets 1/8-inch thick, place on baking sheet and lightly brush with oil. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 40 minutes.

Baked Carrot Chips: Thinly slice two large carrots; place in bowl and toss with olive oil and salt. Lay slices on baking sheet and bake at 275 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes, checking often to make sure they don't burn.

or

Instructions
    things you'll need:
    2 lbs. assorted vegetables, peeled (sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, large radishes, butternut squash, large carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, beets)
    Salt to taste
    Vegetable cooking spray

Peel vegetables and slice very thinly, about 1/16-inch thick. Sprinkle vegetables slices lightly and evenly with salt.

Let stand 20 to 30 minutes, allowing vegetables to release moisture.

Rinse well in cold water and dry completely on paper towel.

To dry vegetables in the microwave, arrange slices in single layer on large microwave-safe plate sprayed with cooking spray. Spray vegetables with spray also. Microwave on high power until dried, 5 to 7 minutes. Check and rearrange after 4 or 5 minutes. Remove vegetables as they are dried.

To dry vegetables in an oven, arrange slices in a single layer on a jelly roll pan sprayed with cooking spray. Spray vegetables lightly with cooking spray. Bake at 275 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes, checking occasionally and removing vegetables as they are dry.

The vegetables will become more crisp as they cool. Store cooled chips in airtight container at room temperature.