Injury set-back

Options
Hi all :). I have been using My Fitness Pal for a while now, and find it a great way to keep track of my diet and exercise. But a couple of weeks ago, I slipped and fell on my right knee, resulting in surgery and now having to wear a splint for 4-6 weeks. So I am being very careful with my food choices. But I'm concerned that I can't go to the gym , or anywhere actually, because I can't bend my right leg. I would appreciate some advice on what exercise I can do at home.

Replies

• sarapellerin7612
    Options
    I understand your predicament I had an injury setback where I had to relearn to walk again I am just now able to return to the gym I've gained a good 12lbs over the year and lost a lot of muscle tone. Make sure you do as much as you can at home like yoga and Pilates for your core And weights for your upper body
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hi. I fell and tore my meniscus. At first, I couldn't do any lower body exercises, so I did all upper body exercises (neck, shoulders, arms) while seated in my recliner. After 4 months, I started physical therapy for my knees. That really helped. I'd ask your doctor when you can start PT, since that will ease you safely back into lower body exercises. In the meantime, look up some upper body exercises that you can do seated. You can use hand weights or resistance bands if you want, as they are good for bone/muscle strength.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah, knee and ankle injuries are a bummer. As said above, upper body and core exercises will keep you active (and in routine) while your knee recovers.
    Get some professional advice on how to start back with lower body training/recovery.
  • leefudge7
    leefudge7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I have been using a resistance band with door loop, suits me as I can't really sit for too long (always have to have that leg supported). Even though I'm not very active, I'm still losing weight by eating clean and drinking lots of water and tracking my calories and nutrition. Hopefully brace will come off in two days' time :)
  • leefudge7
    leefudge7 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Brace is still on for at least another four weeks :( But I went for a "walk" this morning. It took me 30 mins to walk five blocks (about 800m) to our local shop, so MapMyFitness had trouble seeing that I was actually moving lol. Walked around our little supermarket for nearly an hour too. Was happy to accept a lift half way home from a kind stranger though. But I enjoyed getting outside, being a independent and a bit mobile, and shopping by myself for a change :)
  • natgloady
    Options
    That's why I'm here too! I'm a collegiate softball player & I just recently had my rotator cuff and labrum repaired. My surgery made me sedentary & I gained a lotta weight. Hoping to lose it all again.
  • shawncase31
    shawncase31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Talk to your physical Therapist. Depending on the surgery, they probably want to get you moving sooner rather than later since it aids in the healing process. You can always find ways to work around your injury, talk to your doctor about some of those ways to see if they are ok for you.