Sugars

Options
I seem to always be over on the sugars in my diary. Probably 75% of it comes from fresh fruit. Should I be concerned about going over? Who knew strawberries and grapes had so much sugar in them!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar (natural or refined) is just a carb. If you have no medical condition that requires you to track sugar, I suggest you only look at overall carbs and track fiber instead.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, just pay attention to the calories for now.
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your calorie goals? If you're getting your carbs, fats, protein correct daily then body composition wise no you shouldn't be concerned. Health wise, any sugar whether it's from fruit or not consumed in excess amounts can be negative. For instance can spike your blood sugar levels or if you don't use that sugar in the form of energy it will be stored as glycogen (fat). Id suggest cutting back on fruit some and trying to get more complex carbohydrates that are slower digesting and have less sugar like lentils, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoe, etc.
  • honor1wcc
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, my goal is to lose weight. I am active, walking 4-8 miles 5x a week (14 min/mile), and usually a little under my 1200 calorie goal. I very rarely use the extra calories you get from exercise, but still struggling to lose weight. Unfortunately I have a very low metabolism. I will try eating more complex carbs and see if that will work. I'm not ready to give up yet!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Anyone who eats sugar dies. Fact.
  • LetsDoThis141
    LetsDoThis141 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Natvia sweetner, always in moderation though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    gparfitt09 wrote: »
    Are you hitting your calorie goals? If you're getting your carbs, fats, protein correct daily then body composition wise no you shouldn't be concerned. Health wise, any sugar whether it's from fruit or not consumed in excess amounts can be negative. For instance can spike your blood sugar levels or if you don't use that sugar in the form of energy it will be stored as glycogen (fat). Id suggest cutting back on fruit some and trying to get more complex carbohydrates that are slower digesting and have less sugar like lentils, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoe, etc.

Anything consumed in excess can be negative. What exactly is your point here?
    Fruits are simple carbs and will spike your insulin and kill you, so without knowing how much actual fruit the op consumes or anything else for that matter, they should eat quinoa.......makes sense.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    gparfitt09 wrote: »

Anything consumed in excess can be negative. What exactly is your point here?
    Fruits are simple carbs and will spike your insulin and kill you, so without knowing how much actual fruit the op consumes or anything else for that matter, they should eat quinoa.......makes sense.

That damn fruit. It's clearly planning to take over the world.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I cant' get over "glycogen" is fat.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I cant' get over "glycogen" is fat.

Yeah, that guys seems to be incredibly good at wildly misinterpreting things!
  • y9837701
    y9837701 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think what most people are trying to say is you need to sort out your macros and make sure they are right. If you are eating within your calorie goal and with the correct macros you should see results or at least be able to adjust more deliberately by notching down carbs or fats etc. depending on the eating programme you've chosen. This is working for me although I am quite new to it too.

C
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Take a look at my diary if you wish. I go over mfp's sugar goal everyday, mostly because of fruit and milk. It makes zero difference to my weight loss, because I stay within my calorie limit.
    Excess sugar, carbs etc etc don't make you gain weight, excess calories do.

Saying this, I'm not one of those people who will say "Go ahead and shove those sugary cakes and donuts down your gullet all day everyday as long as they fit your macros". I'm more talking about fruit and such which contain a ton of nutrients, which I hope offset some of the sugar they contain.

Please ignore the 48g of sugar that was in my ice cream tonight. . This is but a once a month occurrence . I'm surely going to sugar hell..... I feel so sick right now, and regretting it big time :cry:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Having previously lost a large amount of weight (80+lb) and then gained it all back due to out-of-control sugar binges (including huge amounts of fruit), I have come to accept that I'm a sugar addict. So this time around I'm cutting out all the particularly sugary fruits completely (apples, grapes, bananas, dried fruit, pears) and limiting myself to a couple of servings of fruit per day (mainly berries and the occasional grapefruit). A nutritionist told me to do this years ago and I ignored him as I was losing weight and didn't want to give up my nightly three apples and 100g of grapes... I wish I had listened to his advice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    honor1wcc wrote: »
    I seem to always be over on the sugars in my diary. Probably 75% of it comes from fresh fruit. Should I be concerned about going over? Who knew strawberries and grapes had so much sugar in them!

Me. Grapes and banana are over 15%, most fruit is 10% or less and berries are the lower ones.

90 grams a day of sugars from all sources is a guideline in the EU and Aus. Remember that the median consumption of fruit is probably less than 1 item per day so a population norm will conflict with a big fruit eater.