Running barefoot on the beach....good or bad for you???

Options
I used to always run on the beach with shoes but with the sand being so unstable I found myself tripping over everything and so off balance. The other week I ran barefoot for almost 3 miles and I loved it!

The only downsides I felt from my first try were that I completely rubbed the skin on my feet raw (but I think that will go away with time and practice) and I felt it put a lot of strain on my joints and leg muscles.

I've heard some people say running barefoot is SO good for you and then other tells me I can't do anything worse for my feet and arches.

Which one is it???

Replies

• feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    no idea if the running is good or bad but the sand will exfolliate your feet nicely. Use mositurzer after
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to that. Now all I can think about is being barefoot on a beach.

Sigh.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wish I lived near enough a warm beach to be able to do my running in knee-deep or so water.

The beaches I do get to though tend to have so much glass shards and that that I'd never dream of running barefoot.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which is technically better for your feet, but running on the sand in shoes is super hard. Barefoot beach-running is much easier. I think running closer to the water where the sand is wet should lessen your chance of pulling muscles. Just be careful where you step! ;)
  • christinab34
    christinab34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ran on the beach barefoot for a week and ended up with plantarfacitis really bad in my foot. That took 6 months to get rid of... Which does not mean you will end up with it at all! I would just be aware. My arches need support and I need to stretch my calves everyday!! But if it doesn't bother your feet tons of people love to run barefoot. I was silly about it I ran everyday 5 miles on the beach I would recommend running one day giving your body a chance to react... HAVE FUN!!
  • solhai
    solhai Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depends.

I work in footwear, so a good saying, like from Naturino, is that it's "like walking on sand".

Supportivewise - it's a good foot strengthening activity because the sand will shift and absorb shock instead of your foot doing so. Good!
    Your feet might be sore because there are not use to running without an artifical support which means they're getting stronger, a good kind of sore! many people experience the same feeling wearing the Nike Free or Vibram 5 Finger shoes for example. Otherwise since we grow up with stiff supportive shoes most of our lives our feet have become weak and dependant on it. Obviously don't overdo what you feel and listen to your body, but doing some will overall strengthen your feet and legs.

Otherwise the thing that can be a worry is foot protection from unseen things in the sand. That's really your determination if the place you're running is clean, that it's not too full of broken shell bits or other debris, and as said use some lotion and other items to take some of the sand abrasion.

Navy Seals do it all the time in San Diego.. best beach ever. ^_~
  • sdawson08
    sdawson08 Posts: 3
    Options
    My Manicurist say that the sand is HORRIBLE on your feet. Which I can understand. Its really harsh on your feet. I would suggest you find very comfortable shoe that makes your feet feel like you are running barefoot almost. I have never ran on the beach before, but I would see people run on the surface that is was wet from the ocean which gives it a firmer surface for you to run better on it. Im no expert but thats just how I view it. Hope it helps.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running barefoot is great!

BUT running barefoot for too far right off the bat or in a real short amount of time is really risky that you could end up injured.

Continue running, but shorten your distance and go every other day until you've built up better to it. I'm a big fan of barefoot running, but it's better to ease into it, rather than go full bore.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I would lean towards good for you.

The beach/sand is uneven so it requires more muscle recruitment for stabilization.
    I like running barefoot as well.