Robitussin Cough Formula

Options
So I have a cold at the moment. I think I caught it from my partner and his lasted quite a while.

Anyway, we have some Robitussin (Dry Cough Forte, Cherry Vanilla Flavour) from when I had a cold years ago, which is really helpful for relieving symptoms.
I know there is a sugar free version but I can’t find a place that stocks it.

I know medicines aren’t required to provide nutritional information, but does anyone know of a source that can give me a calorie estimate for this particular formula?

I have found entries in the database from other Robitussin formulas but I was just wondering where this information comes from? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/9918940?date=2015-04-09&show_controls=true

It is something I would only be taking 20-30 ml per day. So if the entries are remotely accurate, I see it as a non-issue and probably wouldn’t go to the trouble of seeking the sugar free one.

But if it is in any way likely that the cough syrup could have more than 100 calories per serve, then I think I would look for a different formula or go out and get the tablet form.

Any help or information would be appreciated

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cough syrup is going to be a lot - I remember a thread a while back from someone who was horrified to discover that it had carbs in it!

It's sugar. And quite a lot of it. But your heath comes first.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, then you need to discuss meds with your dr. If you are concerned about the calories in cough syrup when ill, then this is the point where you need to take a step back from counting calories, take a deep breath and relax.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cough syrup is going to be a lot - I remember a thread a while back from someone who was horrified to discover that it had carbs in it!

It's sugar. And quite a lot of it. But your heath comes first.

As mentioned, I am not concerned with the exact calorie content unless it significantly alters my intake for the day. So a ballpark figure would be fine.

Yeah, I know it is has a lot of sugar per 100ml. But I am wondering what the significance of a 10ml dose is.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    A well-stocked pharmacy should have sugar free cough syrup.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    There is a sugar free cough syrup. Ask your pharmacist if it's available where you are.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you are diabetic, then you need to discuss meds with your dr. If you are concerned about the calories in cough syrup when ill, then this is the point where you need to take a step back from counting calories, take a deep breath and relax.

QFT.

Go rest and get better. The meds aren't gonna get you fat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know of a specific sight but most cough syrup has high fructose and it is really really high.

I had pneumonia for 2 months starting this past December and I did not gain weight (because I was not eating), but when I found out that a brand that I buy behind the counter that had pseudo into was through the roof..

Also just to plug something in my calories during this time, there are entries in the main database for robo and other syrups.. I do not know where they came from (and during this time I just wanted an entry to look back at)..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    In my experience when you are sick you aren't eating as much as normal so I would not stress about calories in the cough syrup and instead focus on getting rest and getting better.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you are sick enough that you need to take something like this, you are also probably sick enough that you shouldn't try to remain in a significant calorie deficit. Your body needs energy to heal.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned - so I'm pretty much just agreeing here - it's not going to be high enough (and you shouldn't be taking it long enough) for it to make any noticeable difference.

Take the medicine, if you need it, and get better.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Agreed. Hope you feel better soon OP