Only gain around stomach?

Options
Hi everyone hope someone can help me out. I'm a total newbie at all this!

I'm currently 5"2 and weigh 7st2lbs. My normal weight has always been on the cusp of underweight/healthy (genetics play a large part in this as both my parents are the same). Anyway, I got sick at the beginning of the year and dropped to my current weight. At first, I was actually happy because I had a pretty chubby stomach (hard to believe but you'll have to trust me. All my clothes were too tight at the waist but fit perfectly everywhere else). But now I know that truthfully, I need a bit more weight on me so am trying to gain a few pounds to get back to my weight before. While health is obviously my priority, I can't lie and say that I'm not worried the same thing is going to happen again (and that in itself made me quite depressed). Unfortunately, genetically I store most of my fat in my lower belly and rarely gain anywhere else. I really don't want to end up looking like a skinny pregnant woman again.

So I'm wondering what I can do to combat this? I know I can't change genetics but I just mean things that might minimise it. As I say, I'm a total newbie, so far I've cleaned up my diet substantially (no more sugary drinks, more fruits, vegetables, increasing my protein and drinking more water). I've upped my calorie intake and am going to start some basic resistance/body weight stuff from tomorrow. I'm trying to go easy here and stay away from weights atm because my posture is terrible and I'm incredibly weak and on previous attempts I've found it difficult simply to stand correctly let alone anything else so I want to make sure I'm doing that properly and safely first, if that makes sense? But my plan is to focus mainly on building some muscle as I don't really have much (my stomach looks kinda loose and flabby atm).

Is there anything else I should be doing/ exercise will help keep the tummy under control as I gain weight?

Thanks

Replies

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    As you say, you gain fat around your midsection - not uncommon. So, as you gain weight, you'll want to gain muscle rather than fat (more specifically, you'll need to lift so that you gain muscle in addition to fat). Then, you can "cut" in order to lose the extra fat while retaining the muscle. This bulk/cut cycle will help to increase your weight while decreasing your body fat.

Check out Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. Many of the girls here have done these programs and can answer specific questions.

At any rate, you've got to get in the gym and lift weights if you want to gain weight while controlling your body fat % (and your belly fat).
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues lol Except they also work out and lift all the time
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just love my body for what it can do and focus on the being healthy rather than the appearance though I guess
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament as you. On the scales my weight is fine but I carry it all in my tummy and kept getting asked if I was pregnant and people not believing me when I told them I wasn't.
    From reading the forums I have just started on strong lifts but much lower starting weights that I can handle. Still have lots to learn and a long way to go. Also trying to eat more protein as that is supposed to help to build muscle.
  • howsthisforausername
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!

Oh my gosh, I've had the same comment many times asking if I'm pregnant too! I'm glad (and also sad) to know they are people dealing with the same issue. Building more muscle certainly makes more sense and is now my focus.

I still feel like I'm stuck in a dilemma though and perhaps that's down to my ignorance, I'm not sure but this is my concern:

In the past when I've gained weight (fat) I've carried it around my middle. I understand this is quite common, however I've never really been able to gain much anywhere else. But when I lose weight, my stomach is the last place to lose fat. So, whenever I lose fat, it makes little difference because the rest of me gets skinnier but my stomach is always that much bigger than the rest of me whatever size I am. And if I build muscle in my stomach, it will still just end up being hidden by the fat that my body will always store there (note: not looking for abs or a flat stomach here, just a healthier, tighter look). In addition, I've heard ab workouts can push your stomach out further if you have fat there. Obviously, I understand the point is to gain muscle all over to get bigger in general but I'm worried all that work will lead to nothing looks wise (although I'd be healthier & that's priority number one so I'm still doing this one way or the other). The frustrating thing is, I'd be perfectly happy with another 5lbs or so of fat if it was more even over my body but of course, life ain't that easy. But I feel that if I lost any more fat I would literally be skin and bones with the exception of my stomach (can already see my ribs as it is) but it seems logical that any attempt to gain muscle is going to involve more fat loss and given the way my body chooses to lose fat, I'm worried the only way I'll be able to she's that extra fat around my tummy is my dropping to a dangerously low weight so my body is forced to use it's last stop fat shop which is obviously not something I'm ever going to do to myself. The only alternative I can think of is to build such ridiculous amounts of muscle so it burns through all the fat everywhere and then finally my stomach but then I imagine I'd look very muscular which isn't really a look I'd like either.

Sorry this probably isn't making any sense, it's 5am.

• jontucc
    Options
    I don't have any advice but just wanted to empathize. I am 157 cm and now 48kg. I recently lost 4 kg which helped my tummy get a but smaller but I am still not in proportion and I still can't wear most dresses without looking about 4months pregnant.
    I am going to keep trying strong lifts as I have read that it helps build core muscle which should tighten the waist and abdomen.
    I think you are on the right track though with starting bodyweight resistance training and then see how things go. I am very weak and have poor posture too so hoping the lifting will improve that. But really going slowly and trying to be patient. Good luck to us both :)
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    As you say, you gain fat around your midsection - not uncommon. So, as you gain weight, you'll want to gain muscle rather than fat (more specifically, you'll need to lift so that you gain muscle in addition to fat). Then, you can "cut" in order to lose the extra fat while retaining the muscle. This bulk/cut cycle will help to increase your weight while decreasing your body fat.

Check out Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. Many of the girls here have done these programs and can answer specific questions.

At any rate, you've got to get in the gym and lift weights if you want to gain weight while controlling your body fat % (and your belly fat).

Is the strong lifts new rules a website
  • terizius
    Options
    They are both lifting programs. Here's the link to stronglifts: http://stronglifts.com/

New Rules is a book, I'm not sure if the program is listed anywhere outside of the book, but here's the website: http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

Strong Curves is another one I've heard a number of the women talk about: http://www.strongcurves.com/
  • howsthisforausername
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry you have the same problem jontucc and I wish you luck too!

I just have one other question (sorry this is all so new to me and is incredibly overwhelming and I know I'm overthinking things by a million percent but...) Right now, although my belly is exactly where I want it to be, I can't stand the way I feel everywhere else. When I roll over in bed, I can feel my bones and it's uncomfortable. When I put my hands on my hips it feels uncomfortable - everywhere except for my belly just doesn't feel right. My worry is that gaining muscle might make my weight go up (I only technically need about 4lbs or something to reach the lowest healthy weight) but my bones will still be too visible or will muscle help with both the look and feel? If I gain more fat it will just hang off my stomach and won't solve the problem...or will stronger muscles help to hold some of that fat in and let me gain a bit more fat elsewhere.

I'm also only just an A cup naturally and that's one of the first places I lose fat so the more I lose, the bigger my stomach looks and the more I look like a pregnant 13yr old boy.

Man, did I win the genetics lottery or what?!

Sorry, I know I'm obsessing. I'm just so miserable right now..
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a nutritionist because diet is also a big part of how you will fuel your body in the right ways to ensure that whilst you are building muscles, any exercise you do will not burn them right off again.

What is your current calorie intake? Swimming might also help you to begin building strength and muscle tone all around.

I'm also a newbie so I can't help you much other than what I have mentioned. Good luck.
  • terizius
    Options
    Since you already said in your first post that you want to gain weight, I wouldn't worry about the scale going up. Your challenge is making as much of that weight gain as possible muscle instead of fat.

Here is a link to a MFP thread about women that have lifted, gained muscle (and sometimes weight) and has a ton of pics and success stories. Check it out, it may relieve some of your fears.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said, hit the weights.

I gain mostly in my midsection too, if I'm not doing anything about it. Stronglifts, starting strength, strong curves - don't worry that your posture is bad, get your form down and your posture will improve too.

There are no 'right' foods, just a healthy balanced diet. You'll need a slight surplus and you WILL gain some fat but if you're training hard it won't all end up on your belly.
  • howsthisforausername
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!

I'm currently working my way up to a 500 calorie surplus (having to work up to it as I'm not a big eater and it's obviously not quite as easy while eating healthily - but I'm trying to get myself used to eating more rather than forcing myself to eat that much more overnight if that makes sense?) currently eating about 300 over maintenence atm.

Will also make appt with nutritionist for some advice about how much of what foods I need to be eating (ie to make sure I'm eating a balanced diet).

No problem with the scale going up, well obviously I want it to as I'm underweight but will just try and focus on doing the things you have all suggested and try and put my actual weight number to the back of my mind for now. Technically speaking, I'm 4lbs away from a good BMI and only 2lbs away from being my "normal" weight that I've been most of my adult life. I'm hoping replacing some of that weight with muscle instead of fat will do the job.

Thank you all so much for your help!
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am also skinny fat. I carry all my fat in my lower abdomen and butt. I already traveled the road you are about to try. I added 500 CLEAN calories per day and I did gain weight but about half of it was fat. I would suggest that you lift heavy and get stronger before you add that many calories to your diet. It takes a very long time and a lot of effort to make muscle. I think that men are better geared for bulking and cutting than women. I think that women have to be more careful bulking because we have more trouble getting the fat back off and more trouble making muscle. Its a hormone thing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I am also skinny fat. I carry all my fat in my lower abdomen and butt. I already traveled the road you are about to try. I added 500 CLEAN calories per day and I did gain weight but about half of it was fat. I would suggest that you lift heavy and get stronger before you add that many calories to your diet. It takes a very long time and a lot of effort to make muscle. I think that men are better geared for bulking and cutting than women. I think that women have to be more careful bulking because we have more trouble getting the fat back off and more trouble making muscle. Its a hormone thing.

A 500 surplus is, generally, too much for a female ( 'clean' is neither here nor there). We can build about half the muscle the guys can. You more likely gained 75:25 fat to muscle so there's your problem, right there.

I hate to break it to you (you might have eaten 'clean') but you had yourself a dirty bulk.

A clean bulk for a female would be around (or less than) than 250 surplus. You'll still gain half and half, muscle to fat but there's no way to avoid that.

• christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

A 500 surplus is, generally, too much for a female ( 'clean' is neither here nor there). We can build about half the muscle the guys can. You more likely gained 75:25 fat to muscle so there's your problem, right there.

I hate to break it to you (you might have eaten 'clean') but you had yourself a dirty bulk.

A clean bulk for a female would be around (or less than) than 250 surplus. You'll still gain half and half, muscle to fat but there's no way to avoid that.

Yep, a clean dirty bulk... or would it be a dirty clean bulk :) ? Either way, wouldn't a smaller surplus help control the fat gain? i.e. maintenance calories during a recomp, slightly above maintenance for clean bulk, more for your regular bulk (the lowest amount of calories for optimum muscle gain), and even more calories for a dirty bulk (lots of fat gain)?
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jontucc wrote: »
    I am in the same predicament as you. On the scales my weight is fine but I carry it all in my tummy and kept getting asked if I was pregnant and people not believing me when I told them I wasn't.
    From reading the forums I have just started on strong lifts but much lower starting weights that I can handle. Still have lots to learn and a long way to go. Also trying to eat more protein as that is supposed to help to build muscle.

Just a side note...I can't believe people actually asked you if you were pregnant or not! They must have turned red with embarrassment!

• jontucc
    Options
    . [/quote]

Just a side note...I can't believe people actually asked you if you were pregnant or not! They must have turned red with embarrassment!

[/quote]

I know right? I have so many of these stories. One was a person serving me at a food court and telling me I shouldn't order the food with the chilli because I was pregnant (I wasnt). Another was a friends mother who asked how many kids I had, when I said 2 she pointed to my tummy and asked about number 3! And the worst one was a work mate who after I told her I wasn't pregnant didnt believe me asked if I was sure and then asked why my tummy was so big since my son was now 3 years old!
    Anyways this was what finally got me to want to do something about it so I started eating better, exercising, then finding mfp forum and read about lifting so here I am :)