Options
    ROFL!!!! <3 Love it!
    Thanks for sharing!
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    How do you tell if you meet someone who's gluten intolerant? Don't worry, they'll friggin' tell you!!!!

Umm yeah... they have to. If they eat gluten, they'll get super sick.

I get that this was meant to be a parody, but honestly for people who are actually allergic to gluten or have Celiac it's a hard life to live.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How do you tell if you meet someone who's gluten intolerant? Don't worry, they'll friggin' tell you!!!!

I get that this was meant to be a parody, but honestly for people who are actually allergic to gluten or have Celiac it's a hard life to live.

I think in this example, they're differentiating "gluten intolerant" from those that actually have Celiac disease.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This is my new favorite Internet video.
  • benjaminhk
    Options

Please stop. This is obviously targeting all the people that magically developed a gluten intolerance as part of the next big diet trend.
  • bigblondewolf
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think in this example, they're differentiating "gluten intolerant" from those that actually have Celiac disease.

I hope so. Honestly, not really sure why people suddenly think that it's cool being allergic to something. What's next, people pretending to be diabetic? lol The condition is made to be a joke now and considered "hipster-y" and it makes it hard for everyone out there who actually does have an issue.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options

I hope so. Honestly, not really sure why people suddenly think that it's cool being allergic to something. What's next, people pretending to be diabetic? lol The condition is made to be a joke now and considered "hipster-y" and it makes it hard for everyone out there who actually does have an issue.

How did this ever become the "cool" thing anyway? It's pretty dumb.

Haha I know, right. Anything for people to be seen as different and unique I guess.

• benjaminhk
    Options
    I think a lot of people just think "gluten-free" means "healthy". The more labels food marketers can slap on the packaging, the more they sell.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    I think a lot of people just think "gluten-free" means "healthy". The more labels food marketers can slap on the packaging, the more they sell.

Agreed, unfortunately for the most part it's the furthest thing from in some cases. Most of the gluten free breads and such are a lot lower in vitamins, not to mention usually higher in calories, than the regular breads.

People have taken this whole thing and just run crazy with it.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options

EXACTLY. No one is poking fun at people with Celiac Disease. People with Celiac Disease should genuinely hate the fact that people are using their dietary restrictions as a fad.

• aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    hahaha!!! this video is amazing!! i have a 2 year old daughter with Celiac Disease and i want to punch all these pretend gluten-intolerant hipsters in the face.
  • LadyElsena
    LadyElsena Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As someone recently diagnosed with celiacs disease I do see a benefit from the gluten free fad diet and that is the labeling of products that as I am learning to deal with this disease having some easier to find foods is easing the transition.

About 5 years ago my brother died suddenly in his sleep and they could not find a cause (they never considered checking for celiacs) as we have searched for something to explain this tragedy the recent rise in awareness of gluten issues seemed to explain symptoms previously considered trivial that may have lead to his death. Since I have had similar symptoms often attributed to stress or IBS my mother quite adamantly insisted I be tested (I thought it was just a fad thing before) so far I am the only member of the family to come back with multiple conclusive positive results for celiacs.

Sorry for the book long comment, I want to help show that even though gluten sensitivity is currently a fad it is at least raising awareness so that perhaps those who are suffering and been told for years basically to just get over it can actually find a way to truly "get over it"
  • LadyElsena
    LadyElsena Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Btw I do like the video as well
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options

buzzkill.