Slow metabolisim

Options
hey all, I have the slowest metabolisim around although at doctors have been told its normal. Any advice about superfoods besides chillies or is that an old wives tale. thanks x

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP, you probably don't have a slow metabolism - everyone's is the same pretty much, they don't vary so much that we're affected with weight loss.

There is no such thing as 'super foods'.
  • Boolost1
    Boolost1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks for your advice???????????????? it seems that there are certain things that help to speed up the metabolisim?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Exercise and increasing muscle mass. I doubt your meatbolism is slower than anyone elses.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Boolost1 wrote: »
    hey all, I have the slowest metabolisim around although at doctors have been told its normal. Any advice about superfoods besides chillies or is that an old wives tale. thanks x

As you said the Doctor has told you it's normal most peoples are. Normally people start blaming metabolism when they fail with other methods. Log accurately set reasonable goals and do some exercise you enjoy and you'll succeed. There are no miraculous metabolism enhancing foods. Those that do have an affect the effect is so minor it's negligible.

Good luck
  • Boolost1
    Options
    Hey thanks, yeh it just feels slower, any ideas on how I can build upper body strength as I have absolute zero.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Op, you are on the SlimFast diet and you are supplementing two of your meals everyday with this stuff.

You and I talked yesterday on the "squat" thread and I already stated you were nutritionally depleted doing this.. You talked about an ankle injury keeping you from exercising and also having low days with not very much energy..

See the correlation in your question here on this thread?

I mean this as very light hearted as I can, you need to change this diet..

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How did this go from metabolism issues to needing to build upper body strength all in one day that started yesterday with issues with squats, your diet or lack there of, etc..

I read in your profile you were 30 something? Is this right?

All this seems to random stuff (threads) that are started each morning.. and nothing that makes sense... as I am beginning to think that these questions are suspect at best..

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey thanks, yeh it just feels slower, any ideas on how I can build upper body strength as I have absolute zero.

Really? Anyway, I went to the doctors about this, had blood tests done, turns out mine is slower (but not by much). BUT you cannot change your metabolism. No amount of Green Tea/ Gogi berry/ cows blood/ essence of hummingbird or any other type of rubbish they want to sell you will work. All you can do is increase your muscle mass therefore increasing the amount of work your body has to do to move. Fat just sits there, muscles need energy to repair and keep healthy = more calories needed/burned depending on what you want
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/569102/Diet-pills-prove-false <- no magic tricks.

If you open your diary we can see what you eat. Higher metabolism from doing 10,000 steps a day and going up and down 10 flights of stairs is realistic for most people.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Push ups, plank, kettlebells, lifting dumbbells etc. Alternate days with rest and repair in between.
  • Boolost1
    Options
    dear Gia, i think you are seeming to forget I have done mixed martial arts since i was 12, I have been out for a year due to two injuries during comps.

my metabolisim doesn't seem as fast as it was I have put on a stone and also i do not have great upper body power, i can ounch fast but sit ups and pull ups no.

So if i want to ask random stuff, as i am quiet eager to get back to training but find that a year off has just made me sluggish so keep your negative comments thought we were all here for support.

thanks yarwell x
    thanks Lois x
  • Boolost1
    Options
    Also gia yes I am a 37year old mum of two children, whats the problem? as i stated yesterday never had problems with squats through training but after being out for a year seem to be bloating. so if you haven't got any advice then keep your comments to yourself ***** fuming*****
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Also gia yes I am a 37year old mum of two children, whats the problem? as i stated yesterday never had problems with squats through training but after being out for a year seem to be bloating. so if you haven't got any advice then keep your comments to yourself ***** fuming*****

If her comments make you "fuming" perhaps anger management would be beneficial.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

How do you "feel" a metabolism?

I assume by metabolism you mean how many calories you burn during the day when you're not exercising? You can raise this number by building muscle. You can build muscle by lifting heavy and eating at a slight calorie surplus.
  • Boolost1
    Options
    ummmmmm friend perhaps....?????

its about supprt MFP is it or is it not.......
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    When in doubt: run more. And then faster.
  • Boolost1
    Options
    hi thanks now thats positive.... :( not keen on running well not alone anyway and I have a GSD who I have tryed to jog with but when you start jogging he thinks that your trying to out race him, then you end up getting dragged along the road by a 6st gSD .... joys of keeping fit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    No you don't.

No it isn't.

No there aren't.

• Boolost1
    Options
    all them nos to what?
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Really? Anyway, I went to the doctors about this, had blood tests done, turns out mine is slower (but not by much). BUT you cannot change your metabolism. No amount of Green Tea/ Gogi berry/ cows blood/ essence of hummingbird or any other type of rubbish they want to sell you will work. All you can do is increase your muscle mass therefore increasing the amount of work your body has to do to move. Fat just sits there, muscles need energy to repair and keep healthy = more calories needed/burned depending on what you want

Excuse me, as a certified* Essence of Hummingbird(tm) Dealer, I can certify* that this is all you need to quadruple your BMR.

It's possible I mean BMI, though. The diet is just your body weight in sugar water each day...

ETA: *sarcasm font*