Bathing suits that mean business

Options
I'm guessing this is the right forum for this, feel free to nix if it isn't!

So, this year I want to swim. I enjoy running and I enjoy lifting but I LOVES me some swimming. I have also decided that I no longer have any ducks to give on how I look in a bathing suit.

Problem is I don't have a good bathing suit. My current is low cut and has a skirty thing and is a PIA to swim in. I need something a bit better for exercise.

Best case scenario, loosing 2lbs a week, I will be around 200lbs come Memorial Day (classic pool opening time in the US) So I'll still need a plus sized suit, but I don't know where to find a decently modest suit for actual swimming in a size 18!

So any hints oh great MFP? I know I can just google but most places have put their plus clothing online so I can't try anything on, so this is the next best thing.

Extra points if it will hold my chest in because OMB I fear wardrobe malfunctions!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    If you're going to swim for exercise, I'd get a one-piece or a GOOD 2-piece from Speedo.
    I have like zero chest and can't do legit swimming in a Target bikini because I'm afraid to lose the top or bottom.

Dick's sporting goods, Sports Authority, etc should have Speedos.
    I don't know how large the sizes go...

You can order online from Sierra Trading Post or Amazon, get a few sizes and send back the ones that don't fit...
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues...my skirty thing covers my fat, but is a pain to swim in. But every time I try on a real swimmer's one piece like speedo or something, I can't get past all the fat hanging out. I want to swim to get in shape but I don't want to wear the swimsuit until I am in shape....catch 22 I guess.
  • melissacurry04
    melissacurry04 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this is the right forum for this, feel free to nix if it isn't!

So, this year I want to swim. I enjoy running and I enjoy lifting but I LOVES me some swimming. I have also decided that I no longer have any ducks to give on how I look in a bathing suit.

Problem is I don't have a good bathing suit. My current is low cut and has a skirty thing and is a PIA to swim in. I need something a bit better for exercise.

Best case scenario, loosing 2lbs a week, I will be around 200lbs come Memorial Day (classic pool opening time in the US) So I'll still need a plus sized suit, but I don't know where to find a decently modest suit for actual swimming in a size 18!

So any hints oh great MFP? I know I can just google but most places have put their plus clothing online so I can't try anything on, so this is the next best thing.

Extra points if it will hold my chest in because OMB I fear wardrobe malfunctions!

Forever 21+ has some very cute very plus size friendly bathing suits for a really good price. I don't know exactly what your "problem areas" are, but mine is my stomach. The high waisted bikini covers the imperfections but still looks attractive. Bonus they are super affordable. Also, I believe it is Torrid has plus size selection that has extra boob support. Those would be my suggestions for leisure swim suits. If you are looking for something for serious exercise I would suggest a good racer back 1 piece such as a spedo. I do not know about their plus size selection though.
  • happylovelyfit
    happylovelyfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/ is the best I've found! Lots of variety in lots of sizes, and they also have cup-size specific suits.
  • dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're going to swim for exercise, I'd get a one-piece or a GOOD 2-piece from Speedo.
    I have like zero chest and can't do legit swimming in a Target bikini because I'm afraid to lose the top or bottom.

You can order online from Sierra Trading Post or Amazon, get a few sizes and send back the ones that don't fit...

Costco/Sam's Club have some cheap speedos! That's where I've gotten mine from in the past.
  • creasys_bean2011
    creasys_bean2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVE torrid for plus size bathing suits.... however if you want one for hard core swimming probably dicks.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to swim I suggest a one piece racerback style. I find they hold in my chest and are comfortable swimming, I don't have to constantly adjust. I would suggest a sporting goods store.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Lands End has great suits. I bought 2 this year from there myself. I ordered online, but they sell them in Sears. They seem to be having a pretty decent clearance sale currently, I'd check them out!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Lands' End too. I generally avoid swimming and go years between doing it but whenever I do, I end up with with a LE suit.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Lands End has great suits. I bought 2 this year from there myself. I ordered online, but they sell them in Sears. They seem to be having a pretty decent clearance sale currently, I'd check them out!

Ok these are super cute. Might have to be my not-serious swimsuit ;)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think I found it guys!
    http://www.speedousa.com/women/womens-swimwear/womens-plus-size-swimwear/contrast-straps-contemporary-ultraback-plus-size---powerflex/style-7235035-P

I'd have never thought speedo made a suit in my size, and in purple! Thanks much!
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Swim Outlet does a lot of guard suits and always has good sales going on. More for fitness/work than looking cute though
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Swimoutlet.com, they have every style, shape, brand and size.

Def. a 1 piece, speedo is fine, TYR is good, I love Uglies (but not sure on their sizing) and Splish (run super duper small....grrr).

Lands End will get you a solid no slip type of suit, Athleta makes great stay in place suits too, but I'm not loving the prices there, they usually have a coupon kicking around.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I actually have the best luck at Walmart. I don't usually buy clothes there, but it seems to be the only place that I can get a decent swimsuit for less than $80.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I like to swim I suggest a one piece racerback style. I find they hold in my chest and are comfortable swimming, I don't have to constantly adjust. I would suggest a sporting goods store.

I'll second all of this. I swam competitively for a bit and the racerback style is easily the most comfortable and, er safe.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I stick with Catalina because they accomodate large breasts with style and support.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I actually have the best luck at Walmart. I don't usually buy clothes there, but it seems to be the only place that I can get a decent swimsuit for less than $80.

and Wal Mart carries Catalina! They have a great swimming line there

• Thunderthighs131
    Thunderthighs131 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    dagost17 wrote: »

Costco/Sam's Club have some cheap speedos! That's where I've gotten mine from in the past.

+1

I do aqua workout classes 5 days a week. The Speedos at Costco are $19.99. You can order off their website for the same price and free shipping.

You can also try swimoutlet.com.