anxiety at the gym

Options
I find it easier to put more into a workout when I have a friend to go to the gym with. But most often I have no one to go with me and I get anxiety at the gym and never give my workout a 100% and cut to short. Any suggestion on my fear of the gym?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't understand this question. Then I remember that I get anxiety going to the post office or the bank, and try to put myself in your shoes. Let's see...What is the main reason for your anxiety?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The first step is to identify the basis of the anxiety. Why do you think you don't get this when you train with a friend?
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's generally just being in public. I Can't explain it, I just know that going with a friend distracts me from everyone else and it's okay but being that I have school and two jobs I often end up going when I can and that usually means alone. My iPod helps a lot ( I've actually just left mid workout because my player has died on me) but I don't like working out around strangers and if I workout at home I lose motivation.. Lol.. Actually not that I see it I realize there is no outside help for me. It's in my head n I need to learn to deal with it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well...Problem solved. lol. Stick with it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    All I can offer, besides the fact that those strangers aren't watching you work out any more than you're watching them workout, is that there are basic anxiety reduction methods (e.g., box breathing).
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I use to have problems with that actually and I left when I realized my headphones weren't in my bag or something like that. It helped me to bring a watch with me so I can time my workouts and my rests. That way I can break them down in to small sections and focus on them and the time on my watch and not the fact that I'm in the middle of a group of people at the gym. It might help you a bit but really just doing it over and over again and getting more comfortable with the gym will help in the long run.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that a little but it goes away. When on the treadmill or elliptical, i watch movies and tv shows that i really want to see on my phone or ipad. I only let myself watch them at the gym so it motivates me to go. You can always pick a corner and stay there. But honestly, no one cares! I told myself- would i rather people look at me and judge me in everyday life for being obese, or judge me for trying to get fit? And for all they know you were 400lbs and already lost 200. Lol play mind games with yourself. But just do it! Having a cold water bottle, my iphone/headphones, and gum gets me through. And now i could care less if anyone looks or judges. I even started wearing normal compression pants instead of the baggies sweats and tshirts i used to wear. Persist and the feeling WILL go away or lessen. You can so do this! Youll feel so much better leaving at the end of a workout then during.

And charge that ipad!!!!!! Lol
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ive always had an anxiety in public in general. I get irritated when people stand to close to me in line at the grocery store and stuff like that. It's a personal space thing. I get uncomfortable when I'm on an elliptical and 20 other machines are Free and someone feels the need to get on the one right next to me. Lol. I am trying to get over it. I do keep going.
  • e13c
    e13c Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was awkward at the gym at first. I still am, sometimes. I just decided that I wouldn't let the 4 hours I spend at the gym each week negatively impact the rest of my week. Easier said than done, but it helps.
    This may not be an option for you but perhaps doing a few sessions with a personal trainer could help you gain more confidence.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Go with a plan so you can focus on your routine. Less time to worry. Honestly people are only intersted in themselves. I find focusing on times and perforance helps me make progress and get through. I like music as well.
    Maybe go at a quieter time and adjust, get a personal trainer or do classes? Stick at it. It gets much easier the more you do it.
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you listen to music when you workout?

That helped me a lot when i started to get back into the gym. I also found a time where i feel comfortable. I feel very anxious as well during the rush hour when the gym is packed in the evenings. I moved my schedule around and now i workout at 6AM when it's less crowded and i can go at my own pace.

Plus the music! Once i'm in my zone ... :)
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I stayed in the Ladies Workout Room for about a month before I was brave enough to go out in the main workout area. Even now I'm still really intimidated by all the people over there and feel like I don't belong. Like others have said though, the only thing that helps is to keep doing it, keep pushing yourself and keep getting stronger mentally and physically.

• J187
    J187 Posts: 11
    Options
    Do what I do, workout at home. I've been getting a MUCH better workout doing a 25 min per day program at home than I ever did at the gym.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety issues as well and I know that, for me, no one telling me things like, "you just need to relax" or "there's no reason to feel anxious" or whatever is going to help me. I know logically that there's no reason to be anxious, but that doesn't stop it from happening. Having anxiety is something that all human beings experience; having an anxiety disorder is not the same thing and most people don't understand that. Telling us to chill out isn't going to help.

I don't remember ever being anxious at the gym, but I know I hated being there. My husband and I decided to set up a home gym in our garage and, fortunately, we were financially able to get everything we needed (power rack, bench, dumbbells, barbell, weights, etc.) and set up a very decent space to lift. It's so much nicer being able to work out on my own and not wait for racks or benches to be free. It's my "me time" and it's one of the only times I don't have problems with anxiety, which is really helpful and therapeutic for me. We didn't set up the gym because of my anxiety, though.

I'd never suggest running away from the problem and avoiding it instead of finding some way to fix it, because then people with social anxiety (which I don't have) would just quit their jobs and stay at home all day, and most of us don't have the luxury of not working or going out in public for things. If you can't fix it on your own through deep breathing exercises or something, I'd seek counseling. I haven't done counseling or went on anxiety medication because I'm still hoping I can control it on my own, but there's no shame in seeking help if you need it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    lay tracks. I have alwaYs struggled w anxiety and so do my two children...sister, brother etc. If you go often enough you will eventually be on automatic pilot and the anxiety will disappear just because of familiarity. Its called laying tracks. so the answer is...go to the gym as much as you can. Lay tracks.