Trucker needs diet/snack help

Options
What i do now, i work about 12-14 hours a day, monday through friday.

My day starts between 3 and 5 am, everyday.

I pack a ham sandwich on white bread, a small container of both applesauce and nonfat cottage cheese, 2 string cheese, and a equate weightloss shake.
I also take a 64oz water jug that usually lasts me through the day, sometimes i do have to refill it, i add a splash of lemon juice to help.

I usually get too hungry just taking this on my longer days.

any suggestions for easy snacks for me to take with me.

I've done insanity, starting it again, and want to try to get my diet more under control

Replies

• Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would replace the ham on white for either sliced turkey or chicken on whole wheat, rye or pumperknickle.

Boars Head has sliced maple roasted chicken that is only 310 grms of sodium which is very good.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    How about some fruit that isn't too messy? Grapes, apples, bananas. Or some celery or carrots. Fiber one 90 calorie bars. How about some healthy cereal in a container with a lid and then just add a small carton of lowfat milk you can buy when you make a stop?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Maybe try the fiber one bars. They are around 100 calories and will last me about 2 hours as they contain a lot of fiber. Speaking of fiber, it sounds like something that your current diet lacks, which is why you get hungry. Try finding some other snack foods containing fiber, or something you can add a fiber rich food to, to help.
  • pswiatocha
    pswiatocha Posts: 1
    Options
    Try fruits, some sort of nuts, pretzels, I know what your going thru, husband is a trucker and it is really hard for him. kudos on the water that's a good.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I find that walnuts are a filling snack. I also use Shakeology once a day (meal replacement)
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Any easy fruit, like apples, bananas, grapes. Fiber one 90cal bars are good. I would switch to wheat bread & save yourself some calories. They are some 5 calorie jellos out there, and some low cal puddings as well, for a sweet snack. Pretzels are quick and easy as well. Another fav of mine is graham crackers alone or w/ peanut butter, but the peanut butter you have to be careful with of course! Good luck!
  • zipkicker
    zipkicker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the help, so fast! im heading to bed now though, but ill definitely be taking your ideas.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Only thing I could suggest is to look for snacks that are higher in fiber (more filling) you could do this with a higher fiber bread choice. Add veggies to your sandwich to help make it more filling and give your tummy more to work on. (I have taken to replacing lettuce with baby spinach)
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    almonds , dried fruts( apricot ), fresh frutis: strawberies, grapes, apples..baanas.
    granola bars( check for sugar/ cal ), nuts&fruits bars,protein bars
  • Hipchick0805
    Hipchick0805 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Add more fiber and filling foods with whole wheat bread, apples and a salad along with your sandwich. Bulk up and eat something mall every 4 - 5 hours so that your blood sugar remains level. Try Laughing cow garlic & herb cheese wedges at 35 calories a piece and measure 20 small pretzels out to dip in the cheese. It is very satisfying & crunchy. Face it, man cannot live on fruit alone. Keep on Truckin!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am all for laughing cow cheese and crackers, or slim fast meal bars or shakes. I second the fiber one bars. :)
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    Unsalted nuts (I like almonds, walnuts, macademias, hazlenuts). Dried fruit (dates and figs are especially high in fibre). For my morning snack I put a cup of frozen raspberries in a plastic container and pour about 100ml yoghurt over it - the raspberries keep the yoghurt cool and by morning tea they have defrosted and mix in beautifully with the yoghurt. Air popped popcorn - you can make it in the microwave then put it into smaller snack bags so you have them on hand to throw into your lunch each day. I would also agree that you should swap the white bread for a multigrain and load up your ham sandwhich with salad to make it extra filling (once or twice a week I roast a tray of pumpkin and sweet potato pieces and use those on wraps/sandwhiches they are yummy and REALLY high in fibre and reduce the amount of cheese/meat I need to consume).

Well done on what you have been doing - it is very inspiring.
  • anitamartina
    Options
    I try to find things that are bulky enough to fill up my stomach and that also take awhile to eat. How about something like popcorn ?- my favorite is Earl's popcorn and that fills me up. If you like carrots - it's easy to pick up one of those bags of little carrots that are already peeled. Get some sort of dip for the carrots if you get bored with the taste. Same thing for cauliflower or green or red or orange peppers. Apples fill people up, You could also get bread for your sandwiches that is whole grain. If you pass a Super Target, they have good breads by Archers Farms in their deli / bakery section that have thicker crusts and are sooo good - that might fill you up. Or put mustard on your sandwich instead of cheese or a 2nd or 3rd slice of lunch meat. Also those rice or wheat cakes or whatever they are - they kind of taste like styrofoam or something, but the goal is to get full without eating too many calories. I think Quaker Oats makes them and they're about the size and shape of a hockey puck.

Yeah, and I've only lost about 3 pounds out of 35 pounds, but it's easier said than done!!!!

Best wishes.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all the help from everyone, my hubby's a trucker and he's gone 6 days a week. He eats out of his own truck most of the time and I'm going to give him these suggestions as he really needs to lose about 100 pounds! It's been tough for him as he's only been driving a year and a half. I try not to nag, but maybe if I give him specific ideas it might help when he shops!

MFP rocks!!!!
  • zipkicker
    Options
    All the info is awesome. I think I'm going to start with the bread change, and also the baby spinach on the turkey sandwich. Also going to puck up the fiver one bars as well. thanks so so much for all the ideas.
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you're doing Insanity, then I highly recommend you get some protein bars or shakes or powders. They have a lot of calories but you need the protein.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    For a meal on the go or a big snack go to whole foods and by pro bars! They aren't like the wimpy luna bars (which are tasty but leave me even more hungry than before). Pro bars pack 360 calories and are high in *essential and healthy fats and are made entirely from organic and raw ingredients! Great for on the go because they aren't messy and easy to transport plus it doesn't leave you starving after! Good luck :)
  • zipkicker
    Options
    Yeah I'm doing insanity, i knew protein is important too, I'll look into those while food bars as well, thanks