Gained 3 lbs over the weekend? Help please

Options
so I was inching very close to my goal weight of 125lbs. I had finally made it down in the 120's (ok, 129.6, but still, that's the first time I've been in the 120's in a long time!) I went from 140 lbs the end of January down to 129.6 and my stomach was actually flattening out after 2 serious surgeries and lots of steroids and meds. Weighed myself on Friday (as my usual weigh day) and I was 129.8. Of course it was Easter weekend and there was lots of great food, so I did overindulge a bit but nothing more than 1600-1800 calories per day. My usual is 1500 or less. I was very careful with what I ate and if I didn't know what was in it, I didn't eat it. I cooked most of it so I knew the calorie content. I did have one beer Saturday night with family. But by Monday I was super bloated. So I just got back into my usual routine, figuring it would go away quickly. I'm still left with a flabbier belly and when I weighed this morning out of curiosity, I'm up to 132.6! Could two days of eating a bit more than usual (I usually have a cheat day every now and then and it doesn't interfere!) give me 3 lbs of setback weight that quickly? I was doing so well and very proud of myself and now this rounded gut and extra weight has really depressed me! I know it's only 3 lbs, but I was beyond excited to get down in the 120's and now I'm sort of feeling like all that work was for nothing. If I can't enjoy an extra 2-300 calories every now and then without gaining that much every time, how will I ever keep it off and stay trim?! Btw- I'm very sedentary bc of surgeries. I do what I can but the dr won't clear me for exercise so it's all up to my diet.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We all fluctuate every day, sometimes by several pounds . Eating a lot of salty food makes it even more noticeable. It'll be gone in a few days.
  • jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It could easily be water weight since its such a small fluctuation. I doubt you ate an extra 7000 calories, so its almost certainly just water weight. I know it stinks when its fluctuating right there on the cusp of a ten, but stay motivated! If you were there a few days ago, you can easily get there again :)
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that it's normal fluctuations and water weight. I went through a similar experience this past weekend and was up 2 pounds. I've lost 1 of them so far and working my bum off this week to get the other gone too. Just look at your overall trend and if it's going down, you're fine and will get there. Just keep up the great work and don't fret too much over a little gain here and there.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's water weight unless you ate 10,500 excess calories. That's very normal after a day or two of eating more than usual, especially because typical Easter dinner foods tend to be loaded with sodium which will make you retain water as well.

Weight loss isn't linear for most of us, don't worry, keep doing your thing and you'll be back to the 120s soon. :)
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You cant estimate calories...just because you didnt over indulge....doesnt mean anything...you assume you hit around 1500 to 1600 calories...but thats just your estimate.

Nevertheless, sodium causes water retention. Sodium water wont disappear for a couple of days. Just do better from here on out.
  • lakenruth
    lakenruth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys. I had fluctuated a pound here or there occasionally but not that much and it been so persistent. Usually I'd be back down to what I was previously after a day or so. So being 4 days out and not going down any was worrying me! I'm new to this sort of stuff, so I wasn't sure if water weight/bloat would stick around this long! Good to know it's normal! I had two kids and went back to pre pregnancy weight quickly, but these surgeries have kicked my butt and I'm not used to having to watch what I eat! It's always just sort of went away.