No one is saying anything

Options
I've last 30 lbs in just about 2 months. No one seems to notice. Is it because I started out at 290 and I just don't look that differant or what. I can see it and feel the difference and my husband assures me he can tell, but by now I was expecting a comment or two. Especially from people that don't see me every day.

Replies

• cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I started at about the same point you did and have lost a similar amount of weight. I very rarely get comments. I'm hoping to take off another good chunk over the summer so that when the boys go back to school in August the folks who see me all the time now might notice.
  • amandarae123
    Options
    If you notice, that's what matters! We're not doing this for other people:) But, seriously, congratulations!! That's amazing!!!
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    No one said anything to me either until I asked why not? The response...well your clothes are so baggy no one can tell. Well duh! They're baggy cause I lost weight, lol! :tongue:
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    It's quite possible they notice, but are afraid to say something. I've noticed a few people lose weight but wasn't absolutely positive, so did not want to say something.
  • mbastian
    mbastian Posts: 16
    Options
    Many people are afraid to say anything because 1) if you aren't losing weight, you might get upset or 2) they aren't sure if you would want them to say anything. I have found that many people see losing weight as a sacred cow that shouldn't be discussed. Trust those closest to you... they are the ones most likely to say something!
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I struggled with that too. My husband was over 315 and is now down to the 280's and he thinks I am coaching people into comments because he is just now getting them. Seems sometimes other people aren't as hung up on our weight as we are. I lost forty and my doctor didn't even say anything! But I know how I feel and how I look. It's my comments that mean the most. Because after all, it's my journey not theirs.
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    Same goes for me...I can tell...my husband and family can also but it's very rarely that anyone else notices. I think it depends on where you start at and I'm hoping in the next couple months if I can drop another 10 lbs. or more that it will become more noticeable. I'm not going to get down on myself over it though...I know I'm doing something healthy for my body and I feel SO much better!
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Also, many people are afraid to comment on overweight people's weight for fear of offending. Just keep on doing what you are doing. The comments will come when others around can no longer ignore or keep silent. Most importantly, you are doing something healthy for YOU! And you are going to LOVE the NEW YOU! Good job, I look forward to seeing (and commenting) on your progress. :flowerforyou:
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends how close you feel to these people-I've noticed a few people I work with (but arent that cloase to) have lost weight lately, but feel as though if I say something it's almost like saying I noticed that they were overweight in the first place and might make them feel conscious in some way, especially if they put some back on and the comments stop coming.
  • LuvsToSpin
    LuvsToSpin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I am down 27 pounds, but no one can even tell. I know I need to buy some new clothes before it's really noticable, but I have much more to lose and don't have the kind of money to buy a new wardrobe every couple of months. I will not give up though and sooner or later people will notice and then I can just smile and say "Thanks for noticing!". Hang in there and come out a winner!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would say that at your starting weight, it probably isn't that noticeable to most people yet. 30 lbs is still significant, and you should be proud of that. Don't let a lack of comments from others discourage you. I have lost 80 lbs since Jan. 2010, and most of my co-workers still haven't said anything to me. I think some of them just don't want to offend me, and that's fine. Also, if you're still wearing the same clothes as before, that makes it even harder for people to notice.
  • cingerl
    cingerl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is because you are still wearing big clothes and it's hard to tell. Whatever it is-keep up the good work. People will notice.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think that some people probably DO notice but don't say anything just in case they are wrong & we really haven't lost weight. I have found some people just don't want to hurt our feelings by bringing attention to our weight. I bet if you mentioned this site or something related to how you have lost weight they would immediately chime in some good comments :flowerforyou:
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Not many people have said anything to me either. I wouldnt stress as everyone else has said... But good job and keep up the good work!
  • 24_jaycee
    24_jaycee Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm sure you can tell ....if you are wearing the same clothes its probably just hiding your weight loss! Good job ....stay motivated :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 5'7", 175 pounds, and a size 12/14 (US). It took me losing 15 pounds and one size down (now about a 10/12) before anyone noticed. Part of it is how much you weigh to begin with (e.g. a person weighing 300 pounds and losing 15 isn't as noticeable as a person starting at 190 pounds and losing 15). The other part is how you carry your weight. I tend to notice weight loss quicker in those who carry it in their face and arms since I am generally looking up, not at someone's hips or belly.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    First of all, sincere compliments and congratulations on your loss. You must feel so great about your accomplishment.
    Secondly, we're just not "commenters" in my family................we probably wouldn't comment on noticing that you've lost weight, but then again, we wouldn't dream of saying, "hey! looks like you've put on a few" as so many families seem wont to do! LOL
    My husband's Puerto Rican family...............whole 'nuther story! LOL
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Most people will not make comments during your weight loss - just know that you are the one that matters. Your health & well-being are improving & you should be very proud of yourself for all that hard work. Keep doing your thing - the people who matter most will take notice.
  • tanya7007
    tanya7007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find people don't really comment until it becomes very noticeable. I don't like to tell people I'm trying because I want to know the comments are genuine when they do come... and they will come eventually. Keep up the good work.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    I didn't get them much until I started going down in clothes size... now everyone is commenting, but I have gone down 3 sizes.
    I would prefer not to get comments except from my friends and even then I am embarrassed.... I did it for me to get healthy and keep up with my kids... Although hubby compliments are always welcomed...
    Great job on your journey!