High-Protein, Low-Fat snacks?

Options
I'm on a kind of eternal mission to find more "real food" (ie, not processed, not "diet" foods) snacks that have a good protein-to-fat ratio. My current go-to is somewhere between 3/4 c and 1 c of plain fat free Greek yogurt with some berries (fresh or frozen) thrown in but I'd love to hear other ideas, especially ones that are more portable than the yogurt is.

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why do you want low fat? In my experience, fat keeps me fuller longer.

this is weird but when I'm out and about and my macros call for high protein but no more fat, I always have grilled chicken breast with me. It keeps me full and it's easy.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Home made lean jerky
    Hard boiled eggs
    Veggies with hummus (I add some unflavored protein powder)
    Raw Almonds
    Protein shake
    Quest bar
    Apple with almond butter
    Celery with almond butter
    Chicken dipped in hummus
    Bacon

That's all I got
  • nyraphe88
    nyraphe88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious why you want low fat snacks. If I snack (I typically don't need to) I go for something high fat/protein and lower (5-30%) carbs. It also tastes amazing.
    Not exactly what you're looking for but:
    Epic brand Bison bars: Super portable, 200 calories w/ 12g fat - 11g protein - 10g carbs. They're awesome too!
    Hard boiled eggs: Fairly portable, 80 calories, 5g fat and 6g protein.
    Carrots & cashew butter: Fairly portable, calories vary. Higher carbs and fat, less protein.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Also a fan of fat. Edamame is a nice snack. Most of my snacks have fat though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Jerky, boiled eggs, string cheese, cold chicken, cream cheese in celery...
  • LetsDoThis141
    LetsDoThis141 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Choubani greek yoghurt (2%)
    17.8g Protein, 3.6g fat
    I add some whey, cacao and cinnamon
    to add a little flavour and protein which adds to: 31.8g protein and 4.1g fat

• sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I want lower fat because the fat/protein ratio is the one I struggle with the most - I have no problem getting only 50% of my calories from carbs and eat relatively little added sugar (most of the sugar I get comes from fruit) but I'll often end up at a 40/10 fat-to-protein ratio, partly because we eat relatively little meat.

Thanks for the ideas, all! I do often grab one of the Babybel cheeses which are pretty protein-dense but much smaller volume than yogurt & berries.
  • Getinmymouth
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Tuna
    Seafood
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Egg whites (scrambled / boiled)
    Chia seeds
    Kidney beans
    Low fat mozzarella
    Organic Raw protein (I use garden of life which contains all natural ingredients)
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    An apple with a Tbsp or two of your favorite all natural nut butter is a great option! Tons of protein and the good, healthy fat that will keep you full and satisfied for longer!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I order the single-serving pouches of salmon by the carton from Amazon. Rip it open and eat right out of the pouch.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat applegate farms turkey hot dogs. No buns, but I dip them in mustard. They're only like 50 calories each or something. I can eat 3 at a time if I'm hungry. They're a bit high in sodium but not too bad, imo.
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas, sweet or savoury
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, plain yogurt, or individual flavored yogurt cups.

Recently I've been eating the 100 calorie Yoplait Yogurt Greek Whips cups

Cottage cheese & you can put in fresh fruit if you want

Quest bars

I like the Blue Diamond Coconut almonds

Rice cake with any kind of nut butter
  • insaneteabag
    insaneteabag Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian sausages! I find the best ones are Quorn Lincolnshire ones - low fat and carb, 120 calories for 2 and around 10g of protein! Plus they taste pretty good too :)
  • akgeenaminto
    akgeenaminto Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Moose meat....:/
  • wilsonctenney
    wilsonctenney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fat free greek yogurt. Throw some honey on it for sweet, or some dried ranch seasoning packet awesome ranch substitute.