I hope there is a cure!

Options
Good morning, I have been battling my weight for years and have had some success but it never seems to stick. I would like to lose 60 pounds over the next year and I'm looking forward learning new tips and tricks to make this happen. I eat okay (chicken, fish, veggies ) and walk 2-4 miles a day at least 3-4 days a week(depends on the weather and if I'm being lazy that day ) but I just cant keep this weight off. I know the problem but still haven't been able to win the battle with my bulge so that's why I'm here.

I sit at a desk all day and CANT STOP SNACKING and cant turn down the b-day cake or other junk food people in the office ALWAYS seem to bring around. If anyone has any ideas to cure my "snackoholism" I would be most grateful.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Read up on "all or nothing thinking", a common handicap for those of us working on extreme weight loss.

Here's my blog on "halting a binge session" which might help. Do you have insight on why you want to snack all day? Are you hungry? Bored? Is it an ingrained habit? Is it an emotional cover? Knowing why will give you ideas on how you can redirect the impulse.

I also have a desk job and have wanted to snack a lot lately, too. I'm heading it off the pass by snacking on dry popcorn, which seems to have the volume I crave.

Besides eating healthy, will you be working on tracking your intake by way of MFP? If so, just get used to tracking for the first couple weeks to get insight on how much you are really eating.
  • FrantaAthletics
    FrantaAthletics Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key! Snacking can greatly increase your total calories in a day very quickly! Sip water more often and bring lighter snacks like berries. Berries are a low calorie/carb snack! but again moderation is key because anything eaten to excess can be your down fall.. feel free to add me if want to become a daily user of MFP
  • bluesdivaca
    bluesdivaca Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that my focus on sugar just builds upon itself. I eat some, then I crave more and eat more. Then... I associate that with feeling good and I'm in the horrible cycle until I break that chain. I've been off sugar now for a while - and I can definitely say - those foods are less interesting to me than they were prior to low-carb. I know people are cautious with the words "sugar addiction" together - but for me that is the reality. In my life sugar is an evil substance and it is virtually everywhere in almost any processed food in some form.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar work situation but I don't snack. Make you desk a NO SNACK area. Also, pre-logging food helps! I pre-log and that way I think "Well I have 90 calories left, I know that cake isn't going to fit" and it keeps me from eating any goodies my coworkers bring in. They do a potluck every month but I still bring my own lunch that I pre logged to make sure I don't go crazy.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    While I'm at my desk I drink a LOT of tea and coffee (both black). It keeps me hydrated and I think the hot water takes longer to drink and helps me to feel fuller, so I can distinguish better between actual hunger pangs and thirst or just boredom.

Some people recommend keeping snacks at their desk which are compatible with their diet (fruits, nuts etc.)

With regard to the snacks being passed around your office, think of yourself as having two choices - either you turn it down altogether, or you work whatever you take into your day. If you can afford to have a huge piece of cake then have it. If you can afford to have half of a slice have that. If you can't afford to have any then say no.

Don't beat yourself up if you fall weak sometimes, but realize that if you keep doing the same things you're going to get the same results.

Try to move away from being "motivated" to change your habits. Motivation fades and when it's not there for whatever reason things fall apart. Work toward being determined - cultivate a commitment to what you're doing, so that even when you REALLY don't feel like doing it, you do it anyway because that's just what you do.

Make what you're doing sustainable in the long run. It may take more time, but it's so much easier to maintain habits that aren't really drastic, and you're less likely to feel guilty and binge to punish yourself.

Wishing you success!!
  • jcondeee
    jcondeee Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I too work at a desk and I was doing awful with snacking! I no longer eat in the lunch room, and try to eat outside or away from others with their tempting food. I also dont bring cash or change, or extra snacks to work anymore. I use my debit for lunch if I need too because I primarily stick to packing my lunch and only stay at the salad bar if I do buy. Not bringing change or cash does not allow me to get anything from the snack dispensers!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The problem I've found working in an office is that people are INCESSANT. Sure, it's someone's birthday, but there's a birthday almost EVERY DAY where I work. If it's not a birthday, it's a baby shower or a farewell party. There is so much pressure to eat that stupid cake it makes me sick. You have to stick to your guns and don't worry about eating to be polite. No means no. It's hard, and you'll feel like a grinch, but they'll get the point eventually.

And set yourself up for success. Pre-log, fit some snacks in, and don't have anything at your desk that hasn't been accounted for. If you have 2 cookies in your allowance, only take 2 cookies in with you and leave the rest home.