PCOS!!!

Options
lrwxo
lrwxo Posts: 28 Member
Weightloss and polycystic ovaries, help! Horror stories like "I only drank green smoothies for 2 years to lose weight suffering with PCOS" scare me! Is it harder to lose weight?!

Replies

• summerrose36
    summerrose36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have PCOS and trying to lose weight may seem impossible, but it is possible. Have you tried to look into options? South beach, low carb/high protein?
  • lrwxo
    Options
    I haven't looked into it much because 90% of the time I forget I have it, I just moved on after I got used to side effects of suffering with it. I have since, booked an appt with my GP to obtain all the professional help I can :-)!
  • sknicolaou
    sknicolaou Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I suffer with pcos, I found my gp was useless and only wanted to prescribe me pills, said Id have it forever.. I didn't have it before so what's stopping my body to heal itself. I started asking questions.
    I refused the pills, and decided to go down a more holistic approach.

I did put on some weight because of the condition. However my symptoms have decreased and food is key, to maintaining a healthy hormonal balance. Cut out processed food and refined sugar. Sugar is a beast to pcos sufferers it's in everything! If your capable try making things from scratch. Plan your food week and batch cook so your not reaching for snacks make sure you maintain your healthy eating with exercise and you can't go wrong. I have an ebook that I downloaded that explains the different types of foods to avoid. It's called 'your guide to PCOS diet and recipes' by Nicole J Knapp.

Contrary to medical belief I personally do believe that you can heal yourself naturally through good healthy practices. Without the need for medication. I have lost weight and my other symptoms are gradually decreasing.
    But that is my only opinion as I've seen first hand how it's helped me.
  • dlemond1128
    dlemond1128 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It would be better to see and endocrinologist about PCOS. I would skip the GP and head straight to the endo.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've read that it can bring increased insulin resistance along with it. So that would entail having to watch your carb intake a bit more than normal. People have also had help with taking 4 - 6 grams of Inositol (a vitamin B complex) daily.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have it as well, I always wondered why it took me roughly 2 years to lose 40 pounds, weight that should have came off quicker went really slow and this is why. I have been at the same weight for over a year despite changing my diet, I also started lifting weights, I used to run and I go to the gym 6 days a week. What people are saying about carbs from what I can tell are true, I just started a low carb diet and I have been losing- I know water weight but still I think in the long run its going to help tremendously! ^^ poster above me hit it head on, with PCOS you really should eat less carbs
  • lrwxo
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    I have it as well, I always wondered why it took me roughly 2 years to lose 40 pounds, weight that should have came off quicker went really slow and this is why. I have been at the same weight for over a year despite changing my diet, I also started lifting weights, I used to run and I go to the gym 6 days a week. What people are saying about carbs from what I can tell are true, I just started a low carb diet and I have been losing- I know water weight but still I think in the long run its going to help tremendously! ^^ poster above me hit it head on, with PCOS you really should eat less carbs

I know you didn't mean to make it that way at all but that is really depressing to read, I feel like it's going to be so hard, even more so than just changing my lifestyle to a healthier one would be. Literally feel hopeless :-( I have a holiday in September and just know I won't lose the weight I was originally hoping to now
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would hate to sugar coat it and make you think its completely easy and cause you more frustration. You also could be very different from me in terms of losing. Everyone has to start some where and starting is what you are going to have to do. Like you said before forget you have it, start making better choices and work your butt off! You will see results.... but whether a person has this or not its never easy!!