Runners...I have a question

Options
I just finished couch 2 5k last week. Twice this week I have tried to run 3 miles but I find after 15 minutes or so I have to start walking. I finished the program with no problems. Never had to quit a run. Any suggestions on what might be going on...do I need to just allow my legs and body to rest? My first 5k is April 18th so I am just a little worried. Any helpful info or suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things. Fatigue, the weather, your pace? Is it warmer than it has been? Are you trying to run faster? I would suggest taking a day off, doing some yoga or some light stretching then go out and and run at a nice, easy, comfortable pace. You know you have done it before, so surely you can do it again. Just remember to keep that easy pace.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In addition to the above, are you eating differently?

I had a lot of trouble running 6 miles again on my first couple long runs after my first 10k. I think in that case it was a mix of fatigue, diet and even mental. A 5k is not a marathon (of course) but they say the hardest marathon to train for is always your NEXT one.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without knowing more. A day or two of rest is never a bad idea, especially in the run-up to a race. You wouldn't need as much of a taper as you would for a marathon or some such, but there's absolutely no harm in taking a couple of days to see if that's the issue. A rule of thumb is that any given workout takes about 10-14 days to have an effect on your fitness, so whatever you've got in the bank is what you've got.

And congrats to you for signing up for your first race. The atmosphere at a race is unlike anything you've likely encountered during training. You may find it addictive, which would only be so bad a thing. Soak it in, enjoy the adrenaline rush of waiting at the start line, and have a good time ... regardless of your time.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Start your runs off slow.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I would get that way when I was attempting to run everyday.

Now my run schedule is Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. 4 mile run out/4 mile walk back.

Having Saturday, Monday and Wednesday off has improved my endurance greatly.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head. For reals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »
    It's all in your head. For reals.

My first thought was this now you're not following the programme
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have no trouble at all with the 5K in a couple weeks. You probably could just use a rest day or two... I am an amateur runner, and I find that if I take 2 days off, I have a better run. So, I like to get 2 days of rest before running in a formal 5K. As someone else said, you've done it before (recently!!!) which means you can totally do it again. And yes, it's probably just in your head. :-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've never run more than ten minutes before walking for a minute, and since I have started a rehabilitation program for my knees, I've scaled back to five minutes running to one minute walking.

Are you running out of breath, panting? Then it's a matter of your cardiovascular system catching up. Take longer, slower runs until it catches up (in a week or two).

Are your muscles burning? You can power through a little longer.

Are your joints twanging, pain worse than 5 out of 1-5? Dial it back and walk.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about rest and it being a side effect of not using the program, but like anything else with fitness, it's not a straight line. I've run four half marathons and am running my first full marathon in a few weeks and some days I struggle to run three miles and have to take a walk break. It's not a big deal. It doesn't make you not a runner. And if you have to walk a water break during your race, no one is going to care. Have fun and good luck.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My diet hasn't changed except a little more protein. My routine is as follows...
    Mondays - boot camp - this could contribute as we were doing a lot more legs lately
    Tuesdays - run
    Wed - core
    Thursdays - run
    Fridays - off
    Saturdays - run and weights
    Sundays - off

I agree it could be in my head but my legs actually were hurting so I am not quite sure about that. I walked it out but was just curious if anyone else had the same thing happen. I am taking today and tomorrow off and will try on Saturday.

One more question - for those who do longer distances - is there anything that you use for an energy boost the day of the race or anything special after?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It's probably half in your head and the other half could just be that you're doing more leg work and you're feeling it during the runs. If you're tired, keep the runs at a very easy pace and keep it slow. Save the speed for race day.

There's no need to do anything different for a 5k, 10k, or even a half marathon. Just eat like you normally do on any day you go out for a run. Don't change a thing.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do longer distances (up to 14 mi so far), but don't race.

I have days where even short distances are really difficult. Not from pain, though. Simple fatigue shouldn't hurt, it should feel like your legs are heavy and sluggish (and maybe the rest of you, too). Pain that isn't typical muscle soreness (I lift, so soreness is common) means I don't run until the pain goes away. Better to rest now for a short time than after an injury for a long time.

For your other question, the last thing I would want is an energy boost at the start. I'd go out too fast and be seriously dragging my *kitten* 1-2 miles from the end. What I want is a pick-me-up shortly after my run so I can go about my day like normal. I find a double shot latte does the job nicely :smile:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Oh the first 15 minutes are always the hardest for me. It's all mental, I have to tell myself, "Okay if I still feel like this after 10 more minutes then I can go home and stop," and I always finish the run and never end up going home early.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Well done for finishing the programme. Maybe you have just had a bad week or strung together a couple of bad sessions. It does sound like a mental barrier. I used to run 10 miles a day (in 60mins) for about two years. Some days it would be much harder than others and no other factors had changed (similar foods the day before and on the same day etc) but for some reason after 9 miles I could either feel like I could keep going forever or I was about to die before I made it to ten.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time running if I'm not following a program. I either overdo it or don't push myself enough.

I recommend finding a new training program. Hal Higdon's site is a good one.
  • Dianardh
    Dianardh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also, some days just tend to be easier than others. Keep at it and happy running!
  • jess031988
    jess031988 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can run 11-13 miles and yesterday I barely made three and had to walk the rest, it happens. I know the wind and my legs being fatigued and low carb just zonked me out.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One more question - for those who do longer distances - is there anything that you use for an energy boost the day of the race or anything special after?

Caffeine and vitamin B complex. If you want to feel like you have jet fuel running through you then grab a 5 hour energy and chase it with just a bit of gatorade about 45 minutes pre-race. It's debatable about how healthy it is but I also drop two Tylenol as well (I believe the latest is advil is a no no bc of liver issues during strenuous activity).

I usually do this with a 5 or 10k race but hold off for a smaller dose of caffeine than the 5 hour energy bc 200mg will start to impact your hydration for longer events.

Also, you will be faster if you dynamically warm-up with some easy mileage on race day. Think half a mile or a bit longer really easy then start short stents into a faster pace. Your legs will then be loose and that first mile won't hurt so bad during the actual race.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I just finished couch 2 5k last week. Twice this week I have tried to run 3 miles but I find after 15 minutes or so I have to start walking. I finished the program with no problems. Never had to quit a run. Any suggestions on what might be going on...do I need to just allow my legs and body to rest? My first 5k is April 18th so I am just a little worried. Any helpful info or suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Only thing I can think of is that while doing C25K you're building up to running 30 minutes straight, but there's no guarantee that you're running 3 miles in that time.

If you're having a hard time finishing the 3miles, maybe you're running too fast? Slow down and work on your distance, the speed will come eventually.