Cant Get Food Off My Mind! #Cravings!!

Options
Hi Guysss :)

I'm new to this! 2 days in, Craving food so bad, But naughty food :/. How do you guys cope with trying to control yourselves! Any advise would be appreciated as i'm going crazy!!

Thanks
Chelsey

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    First, there is no "naughty" food. Calories are calories. So, say if you are craving chocolate, break off a little piece, weigh it, log it and eat it. Same with chips, figure out serving size, weigh them, log them and enjoy.

Denying yourself food you love will derail this by day 3.

Everything in moderation.
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem...... gum and mint tea helps a little.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are hitting nutritional goals. Cravings can also be your body crying out for something. Making sure you are eating enough protein and fat and vegetables helps.
  • Amanda25091
    Amanda25091 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2 days in and I'm starving! I've lost weight before (80 pounds and gained back 86 pounds) and I know from my experience that the first few days to a week are the hardest. Just keep it up and once you see the scale and inches go down you'll be so glad you suffered through that first rough patch. Looking for support so feel free to add me please!
  • lablover07
    lablover07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to get started and struggling, as well. Great point, Amanda. Thanks for your input
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    First, there is no "naughty" food. Calories are calories. So, say if you are craving chocolate, break off a little piece, weigh it, log it and eat it. Same with chips, figure out serving size, weigh them, log them and enjoy.

This, very much. Food is food. You CAN eat whatever as long as you fit it into your daily calories. Don't eat tons of it, just small portions. :)
  • carielouann
    carielouann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with cravings. I can't just do one bite or piece of anything sweet because it will send me into a feeding frenzie. Cinnamon gum helps me a lot. I found that after I haven't had sugar for about a week or so, I'm much better. (Not as many cravings and it doesn't bother me as bad.) It does get easier; hang in there!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

This! Don't deprive yourself anything, otherwise your lifestyle change will be unsustainable. Have small portions of whatever it is you're craving, and that should satisfy you :) Good luck!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem also. It's a constant struggle for me. I have no willpower so I cannot just enjoy a little of anything. I have to completely avoid it or else I go overboard. I have gone so far as to not have any money on me (besides an emergency credit card that I never use) so I can't buy any fast food or sweets, I also make sure I have absolutely no junk food at my house or else I eat it all! I know people say that calories are calories but if I start my day out with a donut, I end it with pizza, I can't eat one unhealthy thing, it derails my whole day so I try to just avoid it. I suggest making sure you are well hydrated, and surround yourself with tasty healthy foods. And when you buy fruits and veggies wash them and have them in convenient baggies in your fridge if you can right away so when you're hungry and want something fast, a baggie of grapes is just as convenient to you as a bag of potato chips.
  • danjerouscurvz
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me, I can't eat anything sweet. Even if it is "good for me". If it tastes sweet, it will trigger me to eat more, uncontrollably. I am just starting my journey, again... I know that I have to be firm in staying away from sweets. If I cave once, it's back to the start. It takes 21 days to break a habit. After that 21 days, sweets won't even look as good, let alone taste good. I just need to stay focused.

Rebecca
  • ChelseyWoo88
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
    :)
  • cherierickard
    cherierickard Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I grab the dog and start walking, each day brings a different challenge, enjoy it. We CAN do it!! Xx
  • iamsharica
    iamsharica Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and, Im afraid to even eat a small portion of what Im craving. I might not be able to just eat that portion and get me some more, and more and more. This has happened to me in the past when I lost 45lbs. So yes, I also need some advice too pleaaassee...
  • ChelseyWoo88
    Options
    Well we can all cheer each other on.. we are all in the same boat.
    :)
  • hurban14
    hurban14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem also. It's a constant struggle for me. I have no willpower so I cannot just enjoy a little of anything. I have to completely avoid it or else I go overboard. I have gone so far as to not have any money on me (besides an emergency credit card that I never use) so I can't buy any fast food or sweets, I also make sure I have absolutely no junk food at my house or else I eat it all! I know people say that calories are calories but if I start my day out with a donut, I end it with pizza, I can't eat one unhealthy thing, it derails my whole day so I try to just avoid it. I suggest making sure you are well hydrated, and surround yourself with tasty healthy foods. And when you buy fruits and veggies wash them and have them in convenient baggies in your fridge if you can right away so when you're hungry and want something fast, a baggie of grapes is just as convenient to you as a bag of potato chips.

^ this. Once I start eating i just can't stop. Currently doing the same method of not keeping money on me to avoid impulse cravings
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This gets easier over time. I used to eat McDonalds all the time - and I still crave it sometimes - but now that I don't eat it hardly ever, eating it makes me extremely ill so I just don't.

Further, I don't drink pop any more - it makes me feel really gross when I do. I don't deny myself the things I want but my cravings come for like steak and pasta and so on. I don't crave sweets. I have learned how to portion and it does take time, but more over it takes a want and will to do it. Living your whole life avoiding certain foods - to me - is like never driving again because you got rear ended once, 20 years ago. You have to want to learn how to portion and not just think OMG I ate 3 donuts, I will never eat another donut again. That kind of thinking is what feeds (and makes a lot of money for) these crazy fad diets. You can eat pretty much whatever you want when you train yourself to do it within portions and limits.

By upping my protein intake I am hardly ever really hungry. Sometimes I smell other people's lunches and it makes me hungry but I don't crave very much very often with sufficient protein intake. Highly recommend upping protein intake (1 g/lb of lean body weight, for the average person looking to lose weight) and working through learning how to portion.

If you don't want it bad enough though, you will always be like this. Always.