Metabolism - yes, you CAN make it better

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust those values. You might be burning 400 more calories per day from running but I don't think there's any way your basal metabolic rate increased that much. You'd have to have gained about 60 lbs. of muscle.

Uhm, I'll trust science and the medical research. :) There actually was a study some years back that tracked retired ladies who started working out. . .guess what? 6 months after they started, the group that worked out 4 times a week were burning 400 calories more a day on average than they were prior to beginning their exercise regime. Which means I'm just about average, LOL!

again, why is this ground breaking? People who went from zero exercise to exercise increased their TDEE through more activity ...

why do you think people always say eat less + move more = weight loss ..?????????
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    What I'm not getting is how they can tell how much exercise she's getting per day by her breath.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    jak1958 wrote: »
    Some are confusing BMR with RMR - not the same thing! OP said RMR...

RMR can be impacted by resistance/weight training and there is some evidence that HIIT may raise RMR (EPOC).

Conversely, calorie restriction without exercise has been shown to LOWER RMR - also endurance sports - long distance runners have been found to have lower RMR.
    RMR and BMR aren't that much different. I don't think EPOC comes anywhere near to 400 calories a day.
    https://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Hot-Topic-Role-of-EPOC-in-Weight-Loss/

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    What I'm not getting is how they can tell how much exercise she's getting per day by her breath.

Ill go with, By the form you fill out to take the test that asks your weight, age, height and level of exercise. the exercise of course is formula and not a direct measurment if doing a BMR or RMR test.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The test she's talking about wouldn't measure TDEE. While I find a 400 cal/day uptick in RMR to be fairly unbelievable also, there's no chance she's confusing the two.

"During the Resting Metabolic Rate test you will be asked to relax in a chair while your oxygen uptake, carbon dioxide output, and electrocardiogram (EKG) are measured for 16 to 20 minutes. To measure the amount of oxygen your body is using and carbon dioxide it is producing, you will be asked to wear a face mask that covers your mouth and nose (similar to an airplane pilot’s mask). The face mask will not provide you with extra air, you will only be breathing from the air in the environment. Ten EKG stickers and leads will be attached to your chest to monitor your heart rate and rhythm. It is very important that you remain as relaxed as possible to get the most accurate results. "

The EKG bit is not required for the test. Some groups use it for additional info, some don't.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    RMR and BMR aren't that much different. I don't think EPOC comes anywhere near to 400 calories a day.
    https://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Hot-Topic-Role-of-EPOC-in-Weight-Loss/

[/quote]

Didn't say EPOC accounted for a 400 calorie increase - just saying these things can impact RMR and absolute statements are not always accurate.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Measurement error.

That delta is physically impossible.
  • Camo_xxx
    edited April 2015
    Options
    . My BMR is now 400 calories higher than where it used to be. 400 calories. A day. :)
    !

For the record the OP stated BMR
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    for the record, I think OP is confused...
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    jemhh - I pay out of pocket. It's less than $100 at our local women's hospital to have it done. It's a little gross (you breathe into a device for several minutes and when you take the thing out of your mouth spit goes EVERYWHERE) but well worth it to me.

peachyfuzzle and ninerbuff - My RMR is 400 calories more than where it was many months ago when I started running. I had it tested then and I just re-tested. My food calories from exercise are in addition to my RMR.

LOL For the record.. Actually she said both...
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    jak1958 wrote: »
    jemhh - I pay out of pocket. It's less than $100 at our local women's hospital to have it done. It's a little gross (you breathe into a device for several minutes and when you take the thing out of your mouth spit goes EVERYWHERE) but well worth it to me.

peachyfuzzle and ninerbuff - My RMR is 400 calories more than where it was many months ago when I started running. I had it tested then and I just re-tested. My food calories from exercise are in addition to my RMR.

LOL For the record.. Actually she said both...

doh
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    The test she's talking about wouldn't measure TDEE. While I find a 400 cal/day uptick in RMR to be fairly unbelievable also, there's no chance she's confusing the two.

"During the Resting Metabolic Rate test you will be asked to relax in a chair while your oxygen uptake, carbon dioxide output, and electrocardiogram (EKG) are measured for 16 to 20 minutes. To measure the amount of oxygen your body is using and carbon dioxide it is producing, you will be asked to wear a face mask that covers your mouth and nose (similar to an airplane pilot’s mask). The face mask will not provide you with extra air, you will only be breathing from the air in the environment. Ten EKG stickers and leads will be attached to your chest to monitor your heart rate and rhythm. It is very important that you remain as relaxed as possible to get the most accurate results. "

The EKG bit is not required for the test. Some groups use it for additional info, some don't.
    I wonder how much results can vary because of this.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if there is any training on what is a realistic result for the techs administering these tests, or the people sharing the results. They should know that a 400 calorie change per day is impossible. Others have posted here in the past that they were told their RMR was something ridiculously low, like under 700, I think. They shouldn't be charging $50-$100 for these tests if the techs can't spot nonsensical results and re-run the thing.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for me "relaxed as possible" can be many different things. It can be near comatose, or a bunch of wiggling and twitching that I'm barely aware of. (I remember taking a polygraph for a job application back in the 80's and the tech was super pissed by the end because he kept having to tell me to sit still.) Trying to stay that calm for 16-20 minutes would typically be a form of torture for me, unless I happened to be in the right state of mind for it. But I imagine if I were to succeed the one time and not the other, it would make a big difference.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if there is any training on what is a realistic result for the techs administering these tests, or the people sharing the results. They should know that a 400 calorie change per day is impossible. Others have posted here in the past that they were told their RMR was something ridiculously low, like under 700, I think. They shouldn't be charging $50-$100 for these tests if the techs can't spot nonsensical results and re-run the thing.

^^^ This
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    for the record, I think OP is confused...

yep