How often?

Options
How many times a day should you ️workout when your interested in transformation at a record rate?
Right now, I'm doing 2 1/2 hours typically 6 days a week, doubling up workouts twice, 2 days a week doing home strength exercises.
Ideas? Thoughts? Experience? I'd love some input.

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Why at a record rate ? Why not something maintainable? Sounds like major burnout
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like a one way trip to either a.) injury, and b.) burnout and regression. 2.5 hours a day is just crazy talk. Not only that, unless you are eating to support that, you won't see any significant change.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Patience, persistence, and progression.

Pushing your body this hard is going to do a few things in succession:
    1) Stress your body, which will increase cortisol production (more on that later) and put you at higher risk of injury.
    2) Spike your adrenalin and grelin production leading to adrenal fatigue (adrenalin) and binge eating (grelin).
    3) The adrenal fatigue will cause health issues like trouble sleeping, IBS, etc.
    4) Not sleeping well will affect sex hormones (less testosterone = loss of muscle mass & you cold actually lose your period not to mention sex drive).
    5) The excess cortisol will cause your body to want to hold on to fat, especially during those binges.

The short of it, you will lose weight. It will likely be more muscle than fat. You'll likely suffer other health issues. Records are broken by people who put the end over means. Are you really willing to cheat your health to break a record losing weight?
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds like a one way trip to either a.) injury, and b.) burnout and regression. 2.5 hours a day is just crazy talk. Not only that, unless you are eating to support that, you won't see any significant change.

• RenettaSoubai
    Options
    Hmm, well thank you all for your opinions. Yes to overall be healthy, I work from home and I enjoy going to the gym. I focus on 2 classes a day and sometimes do a little extra, I'm
    Not over zealous or crazy. I eat adequately and get plenty of rest.
    I definitely am
    Aware of injury, form and burnout.
    I didn't get much input that will help me. :/
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What sort of input did you expect? You're doing a ton of cardio. If it seems to be working for you and you enjoy it, keep keeping on. But realize that there are negative health ramifications to pushing your body hard.
  • RenettaSoubai
    Options
    I lift too. I expected input on how others are losing weight and staying healthy.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I lift too. I expected input on how others are losing weight and staying healthy.

But you are getting input on how people on this board are losing weight and staying healthy. I don't think you will find too many people who are going to encourage you to do what you are doing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options

Well, I run and lift, and eat at a deficit and lose 1-1.5 lbs a week (currently need to lose another 40-60lbs, not sure, have never been that small as an adult so my ultimate goal weight is kinda up for discussion when I get there) so that gives me a 1600-2000 calorie goal depending on the day's activity. I typically only do 1 exercise a day (usually 45 min lifting sessions and currently working on increasing my 5k speed so goal has me focused on 30-45 min runs)

typically anyting getting you a "record rate" is not healthy or sustainable
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well I guess if you look at it this way....the PT at our local gym is getting ready for comp in 15 weeks and she is hitting it hard...and she will be ready in 15 weeks no doubt in my mind...but she also put in 3 years prior to this...

I personally have been here for almost 2 years...lost 60lbs and started lifting in the first 18 months...went to maintenance...gain some over holidays (stayed in my range tho) and then really gained on vacation so now looking to lose what I gained an another 5lbs...should take me about 25-30 weeks to do this at a 200 calorie deficit, lifting 4x a week for 20 mins and I will add in cardio this spring (as soon as the snow is gone) so that might knock 10 weeks off...who knows but either way I don't care really. It's not about the time it takes to get me to 140 it's about the lessons I am learning on the way there.