Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Boolost1 wrote: »
    Hey thanks, yeh it just feels slower, any ideas on how I can build upper body strength as I have absolute zero.

Really? Anyway, I went to the doctors about this, had blood tests done, turns out mine is slower (but not by much). BUT you cannot change your metabolism. No amount of Green Tea/ Gogi berry/ cows blood/ essence of hummingbird or any other type of rubbish they want to sell you will work. All you can do is increase your muscle mass therefore increasing the amount of work your body has to do to move. Fat just sits there, muscles need energy to repair and keep healthy = more calories needed/burned depending on what you want

Excuse me, as a certified* Essence of Hummingbird(tm) Dealer, I can certify* that this is all you need to quadruple your BMR.

It's possible I mean BMI, though. The diet is just your body weight in sugar water each day...

wow this is a blatant "let me sell you some crap" post if I have ever seen one.

It is against the TOS to do this in the forums.
    You can NOT be serious!!! Flagging someone and complaining about this? Was your sense of humour surgically removed or something?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Since I just posted this in another thread and it seems like today is metabolism day,
    Here is the MATH on BMR and TDEE.

The variables for BMR include: weight, height, age

The variables for TDEE: movement. ( mostly exercise )

You increase your BMR by adding muscle mass and your TDEE by moving ( exercise )

BMR Calculation for Women: 655 + (4.35 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) – (4.7 × age in years)

BMR Calculation for Men: 66 + (6.23 × weight in pounds) + (12.7 × height in inches) – (6.76 × age in years)

To really determine your body’s energy needs or TDEE, you should also account for how often you exercise. Use this table to adjust the Harris Benedict Equation to account for your physical activity level:

Factoring Exercise into the BMR Equation
    Amount of Exercise Daily Calories Needed
    Little to no exercise BMR x 1.2
    Light exercise (1 to 3 days per week) BMR x1.375
    Moderate exercise (3 to 5 days per week) BMR x 1.55
    Heavy exercise (6 to 7 days per week) BMR x 1.725
    Very heavy exercise (intense workouts twice per day) BMR x 1.9
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Everybody is special and different and has qualities that separate them from the norm. You are special because You are the only You and completely unique. In saying that.... you don't have a low metabolism :D
  • GlassRocks
    GlassRocks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Boolost,

To my knowledge metabolism is based on several factors including genetics, age, activity level, health, life factors and diet. While some of these aspects are static like genetics and age; others are influencable like activity level and diet. I was there too, once, I believed my metabolism was somehow slow so I had it medically checked, only to be informed, yep it was absolutely normal. As I found out in fact the majority of people have a normal metabolism and generally when faced with unwanted weight gain, loss of fitness and energy it becomes the blame game; and metabolism is often a quick go to as a rationalization. Reading this thread I’ve gotten a small (very small) sense of your fitness past, however I do immediately notice some areas of possible augmentation. The first is that unless a medical doctor has tested you and said you specifically have a slow metabolism, you probably don’t as there would be other medical issues that would arise and indicate that was your problem.

Next instead of looking for a “magic pill” or “superfood” to make your metabolism better, take the approach and accept that you in fact have control over some components of your metabolism, like activity level, life factors and diet aspects. In addition consider this; how honest are you? I’m not trying to be negative or inimical, merely making an observation that we often have a tendency to misrepresent things to the most important person – OURSELF.

So, starting with diet, I looked at your food diary and I noticed a few things. First is it’s not filled out consecutively, nor is it really complete. In order to truly know what is going into you, you need to log it - either here, on paper or somewhere. It’s going to be exceptionally hard being accountable if you don’t know what you are eating. Additionally, while I am not privy to your information, the intake goals seem more surmised and possibly set incorrectly.

Current Intake Goals: 1200 cals /150 carbs / 60 protein /40 fat / 2300 sodium

The Ratio is 50% Carbs / 20 % Protein / 30% Fat

Just looking at what was set it seems like your carb and fat ratio is high when compared to your protein which is low. You may want to consult a dietetition the help you initially get back on track. While I don’t advocate any specific diet, I personally believe in creating an overall healthy and balanced diet that is tailored to the needs of the individual and their activities. I see a lot of potential room for improvement here just based on a brief summary in your profile and the little information you've provided in the thread. I know coming back from an injury can be daunting; it’s taking me far longer than I thought it would, but being persistent and having fortitude toward achievable goals will make a difference.

Also as just suggested consider calculating a few different caloric components like your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), the number of calories you burn in a day. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), the number of calories your body burns in its idle state and your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) the number of calories your body requires to maintain itself at rest.

If you prefer to discuss any of this or would like support, please message me privately.

Best of luck,

GR
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Excuse me, as a certified* Essence of Hummingbird(tm) Dealer, I can certify* that this is all you need to quadruple your BMR.

The sarcasm is obvious to me but I would like to hear more about the Hummingbird Essence... ;)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Don't people who have slow metabolisms have some pretty significant symptoms? Extreme exhaustion, chronic constipation, digestive issues......?

An actual, legitimately faulty metabolism doesn't just make you gain a few more pounds than you were expecting to. It's a serious (and AFAIK, exceptionally rare) issue that requires medical attention. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72: I had a very slow metabolism caused by Pernicious Anemia, which resulted in megaloblastic anemia... My red blood cells weren't carrying the oxygen I needed to metabolize my food. I had trouble thinking, tingly limbs and loss of muscle control, I lost 23 lbs without noticing and then couldn't lose anything at all no matter what I ate or didn't, I lost my appetite, and basically, I was suffering brain and nerve damage and dying.

So, yeah. Pretty serious.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Hey thanks, yeh it just feels slower, any ideas on how I can build upper body strength as I have absolute zero.

Really? Anyway, I went to the doctors about this, had blood tests done, turns out mine is slower (but not by much). BUT you cannot change your metabolism. No amount of Green Tea/ Gogi berry/ cows blood/ essence of hummingbird or any other type of rubbish they want to sell you will work. All you can do is increase your muscle mass therefore increasing the amount of work your body has to do to move. Fat just sits there, muscles need energy to repair and keep healthy = more calories needed/burned depending on what you want

It's possible I mean BMI, though. The diet is just your body weight in sugar water each day...

wow this is a blatant "let me sell you some crap" post if I have ever seen one.

It is against the TOS to do this in the forums.

OP to build upper body strength start with body weight exercise such as wall pushups, move to on the knee push ups and graduate to full on push ups...same with dips do some curls with ever increasing dumb bells, lat push downs, tricep push downs and tricep extentions along with reverse chin ups where you get on the chin up bar using a stool and hold yourself up as long as you can

ETA and yes stop with the slimfast just eat real food and if you want to lose eat at a deficit.

As for the weight you gained over the last year and feeling lethargic the weight gain is probably due to less movement due to injuries...the lethargy is due to lack of food for energy. Don't teach your kids that the way out is to starve...it's not.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke. My God.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If your doctors say you have a normal metabolism, then you probably have a normal metabolism. Besides, slow metabolism isn't really a "thing," in the way people think it is. Even it were, there's probably no miracle cure for it, or super foods.

Looks like you need to eat at a deficit, and exercise, just like the rest of us.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72: I had a very slow metabolism caused by Pernicious Anemia, which resulted in megaloblastic anemia... My red blood cells weren't carrying the oxygen I needed to metabolize my food. I had trouble thinking, tingly limbs and loss of muscle control, I lost 23 lbs without noticing and then couldn't lose anything at all no matter what I ate or didn't, I lost my appetite, and basically, I was suffering brain and nerve damage and dying.

So, yeah. Pretty serious.

Thank you and I am so sorry you went through that. How scary.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Strength training! There are tons of programs out there, just do a google search! I do Stronglifts myself, but lots of people use Strong Curves, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Boolost1
    Boolost1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your help...... Guess slow metabolism doesn't exist :# any how's got some ideas and will go from there.... Wow considering I'm new here made quite a stir .....
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Don't people who have slow metabolisms have some pretty significant symptoms? Extreme exhaustion, chronic constipation, digestive issues......?

An actual, legitimately faulty metabolism doesn't just make you gain a few more pounds than you were expecting to. It's a serious (and AFAIK, exceptionally rare) issue that requires medical attention. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.

Agree totally. Sure, the average metabolism is going to be a range, so two people with the same stats may not burn the exact same amount (and it's a bummer for the person on the low side of average), but a true reduction in energy requirement will be accompanied by other symptoms (I'm also thinking about hair loss, extreme fatigue, feeling cold all the time, ie symptoms of hypothyroidism).
    True confession: I had my thyroid tested because I had gained some "unexplained" pounds. My doctor humored me with the testing even though I was the picture of health because hypothyroidism is not uncommon, but those extra pounds were explained all right, by the most obvious reason.
  • MackieDrew
    MackieDrew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns calories quite well. Pack on the lean mass, lose the fat, it will increase your BMR no doubt. Some things are roughly associated with increased metabolism but it's pretty much negligible. The slowest metabolism including conditions of a medical nature vary the BMR by only 200 kcal per day. Which is honestly negligible especially if an individual is over weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Cuz packing on muscle is so easy.

And it raises your BMR sooooooo much.

AMIRITE?