Herbalife

lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
So, I've been very put off by Herbalife. I've done research and understand it's a pyramid scheme and by no means would I want to get involved in the financial or marketing aspect. However, several of my friends have tried it and had success and one would like me to try it (after turning down 5 other friends) and after struggling with ED and surgeries/chronic pain, I'm tempted to try it. Mostly for a kick start program to get me "back on track" as I've been struggling.

What are some thoughts on Herbalife, in terms in NUTRITION?

Has anyone tried it...did you like it/have sucess/not like it, etc.

I would love to hear experience and opinions... Please be nice, though, as I understand many will have different opinions.

In advance, I appreciate the input! Thanks!

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Hmm. I am highly suspicious of the whole thing. I wouldn't bother. Save your money. Eat clean, eat fresh and get a balanced diet.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    I wouldn't bother with it. Eat real food, log, and if you need a boost with regards to protein, there are protein bars and protein powders out there for much, much less cost-wise.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    I like real food and don't really want to start on the bottom rung of some marketing campaign

If you have truly been struggling, I'd suggest going back to basics, weighing & logging etc rather than looking for a quick fix. If you have fallen off the wagon, so to speak, go easy on yourself. It's not a race or a diet... it's a lifestyle change

good luck
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    I used to be a distributor, I only started selling it because all of my friends at the time wanted to buy it once they started seeing the results.

It was nearly 20 yrs ago, and I am sure the product has changed a lot. I have friends on it now, and have considered getting back into the routine (consuming not selling)... I haven't yet, mostly because there is some effort involved in getting the products now that I haven't put forth....

I won't lie tho.. when I was on it I dropped from about 160-125, BMI went down to 23% from 30%, and I felt great!

Hmm.. I think I might have just talked myself into buying back into it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Just get a regular meal replacement or protein shake.
    Herbalife does not contain any magical, mythical ingredient. It just costs more than the rest....
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    My boyfriend got these for free from his step-father who was a seller, and while my boyfriend actually had some success with it(He was almost 300lbs), I found it often left me very hungry. The shakes were pretty good, though. Also, there are a lot of pills to take with it, and very nasty tea to drink.. personally i'd never go back to it.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Eat real food--even if you're considering Herbalife as a jump start, it does nothing to instill any sustainable habits for you. IMO it's a waste of money.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    My daughter is recent Health Sciences graduate. Last year in an advanced nutrition course they spent a better part of a semester slagging Herbalife. She still can't drive by a Herbalife store without saying something nasty. I have lost over 35 pounds since January 5th simply by following CICO and ramping up my exercise regime.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Just get a regular meal replacement or protein shake.
    Herbalife does not contain any magical, mythical ingredient. It just costs more than the rest....

I totally agree there is nothing special about it. I do it because we have a place here in town that makes the shakes in a variety of flavors, the people and atmosphere are great, and it means I'm not going to McDs. It helps keep me on track, but I don't think there is any magic to it. If you're able to be successful by eating healthy and exercising, then do it! If you think it will help you be on track, then give it a try. And I don't mean a "kick start" on weightloss. Good luck whatever you choose!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooope.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    I tried it several years ago. From a nutrition standpoint it was fine. Lots of pills, and as someone said the shakes are pretty good. That being said it was guite expensive and really not worth the time or expense. Plus I was hungry the entire time I was on it.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    My mom did it for months and lost some weight but then hit a plateu. Nothing she did to get the weight off worked. The only reason she lost is because she was eating LESS because of the shakes. She wasn't ever full, she was cranky and irritable because she was NOT getting what he body needed and when she stopped it she gained all the weight back.

I say DON'T do it. Not worth the headache....plus the tea stuff they tell you that you should drink tastes AWFUL!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it. I was leaning more toward other protein powders/meal replacements but wanted to get some other opinions hoping I would gain more knowledge. Again, thanks!