Protein Ideas for kid with texture issues

Options
Hi! I am looking for ideas for protein for my 6 year old son that has a neurological disorder that causes him to have issues with the texture of meat. He likes eggs, cheese, peanut butter, but he loves carbs and I am trying to balance out his diet because I notice he is way more calm if he gets enough protein in his diet. However, this isn't always easy to do with his preferences. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How about tofu? It's texture is nothing like meat. Will he drink a smoothie? You could throw a scoop of protein powder into it. Or make pancakes with protein powder. Will he eat beans? My kids will snack on drained, well rinsed, butter beans and cannelini beans. (But they're weird kids ;) )

P.S. It's completely ok if sometimes a peanut butter sandwich is all you can get into them. :)
  • RainbowKitty37
    RainbowKitty37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    He loves smoothies and fruit in general and is even okay with me putting spinach and other things in there. I haven't had any luck with beans so far.

Thanks for your suggestions. And yes, peanut butter sandwiches are his go to meal when he won't eat what everyone else is having for dinner. He is a pb addict.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt, he may not eat it but it's super easy to cook with, make up dips, use to mix egg salad or tuna fish. Basically wherever you'd use sour cream or mayo plain greek yogurt works.
    I also put greek yogurt in pancakes and cakes/brownies/muffins. You should be able to find recipes online pretty easily.

The flavored almonds are really good too.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    hmm. counterintuitive suggestion: what about highly processed meats like chicken nuggets/strips or (maybe better quality) hot dogs? my little brother (very picky eater) would only eat those for a few years when he was a kid.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    or casseroles or soups with very small bits of meat, like shredded chicken?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If he likes eggs, I'd work with that as much as possible. Nothing wrong with having eggs for dinner :wink: Soft tofu can have a similar texture to eggs, so maybe try that?

I have a friend who is vegan and gluten free, and she bakes bread made of lentils for her sandwiches. Maybe you could at least work some extra protein into his PB sandwich that way?

Greek yogurt is also nice and high in protein, if you can get him to eat that (if not, it works in a smoothie).
  • wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions

Laurend224 wrote: »
    How about tofu? It's texture is nothing like meat. Will he drink a smoothie? You could throw a scoop of protein powder into it. Or make pancakes with protein powder. Will he eat beans? My kids will snack on drained, well rinsed, butter beans and cannelini beans. (But they're weird kids ;) )

P.S. It's completely ok if sometimes a peanut butter sandwich is all you can get into them. :)

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Another vote for shredded meat, that might help the texture. Black bean burgers are great too but don't have the usual texture and taste of plain beans.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm autistic and so is my boy, so I totally get it. How about some roasted chickpeas? Those are crunchy and nice. Tuna, maybe? Protein bars? Cottage cheese? A different kind of meat? You could try changing the texture of the meat as suggested above, by grinding or shredding it. You can also Google "vegan protein" for suggestions. Good luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    hmm. counterintuitive suggestion: what about highly processed meats like chicken nuggets/strips or (maybe better quality) hot dogs? my little brother (very picky eater) would only eat those for a few years when he was a kid.

If the kid will eat chicken, homemade chicken nuggets could be a possibility...

What about ground meats?
    You can puree beans and hide them in brownies/smoothies/etc for more protein or use protein powder as someone else suggested.

Frittatas, quiches, prep eggs in every manner to get that protein in him lol
  • larryskelly
    larryskelly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with fruit or anything else to add flavour, greek yogourt any flavour; whey protein powder added to milkshakes; hummous or anthying else with pureed chick peas, beans or lentils; quinoa/rice mixture cooked with anything to add flavour (e.g. beef broth).
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Egg and cheese omelette, grilled cheese sandwich, pb n j (if he likes jelly), pb with fruit like apples or veggies like celery... does he like drinking milk? Maybe make some milkshake with just milk and banana (or another fruit ). :flowerforyou:
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    my 3 year old hates meat in most forms, but i've had some success with homemade chicken nuggets, burgers, sloppy joes, and by dicing up chicken VERY finely for pizzas where i can hide it (and the spinach) under the cheese. i haven't tried tofu with him, but am trying to not expose my boys to soy protein. i'll second the greek yogurt recommendation, both of my boys love Jam-Yogurt (Plain Greek Yogurt with a tbsp of organic jam for them to stir in).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Does he drink milk? I know it has sugar but you could use chocolate protein powder to make chocolate milk, and then it could be like a treat.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You may be able to sneak a bit in by reading labels and selecting alternates for foods he already eats (provided he'll accept the alternate!). Bread, for example. Cookies, crackers, cereal. Dairy. Even his peanut butter -- I just opened the database and did a quick search (so, not sure if the entries I'm looking at are even right) and Kraft Smooth has 3g and PC Natural has 4g and Jiffy Creamy has 7g! So label reading might give you a little boost if you could find several substitutions he'll accept!

Will he do cottage cheese? There are also a few brands that make lovely flavoured greek yoghurts. Oatmeal? Bulgur? Quinoa? Lentils? Peas? Hummus? Protein bars?

Is every meat off limits? To me, something like ham, or sandwich meat, is very different from, say, ground beef, or canned tuna, in terms of texture. (But I don't know anything about his disorder.)

You might be able to do some homemade baked goods, even breads (or breakfast cakes or muffins), using protein-rich ingredients. I typed "high protein baking" into Google to see what popped up, and there are definitely articles about it. Looks like ingredients like greek yoghurt, protein powder, oatmeal, pb, etc get used.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    since you've gotten some great advice here already, I'll suggest another way of serving meat - maybe pate or rillettes? they're both soft and spreadable, and could be easily included on a sandwich or on some crackers. I love pork rillettes, and it keeps well since you can re-seal it under more fat if you need to. and even for those who don't love liver, a rich pate made with chicken livers is mild and easy to make - and livers are often got pretty cheaply, too!

and as for eggs, how does your son feel about soup? egg drop soup is a favorite around here, and it's pretty cheap and easy. if he doesn't care for the strands of eggs, maybe avgolemono? it's a Greek lemon-chicken soup, but I usually make it without the chicken (because I don't always have it on hand). here's the recipe I use for avgolemono if you're interested in trying it. the smooth texture is popular with everyone I've served it to, and it tastes like a rich cream of chicken soup, but contains no dairy. you can also replace the orzo with rice if you like. if you reheat it, be careful to do so slowly so it doesn't break.

good luck, and I hope you find some protein-rich ideas your son loves!

Avgolemono (Greek Lemon-Chicken Soup)
    2 quarts chicken stock
    juice of one lemon, or more to taste
    2 cloves of garlic, 3 scallions, or whatever other onion-y vegetable you enjoy
    salt and pepper to taste
    3/4 cup dry orzo pasta
    6 large eggs, beaten in a large measuring cup or small bowl

Heat the chicken stock, lemon juice, garlic/scallions, salt, and pepper until it's simmering, then add the orzo and cook until al dente or to your preference. Once pasta is cooked, remove from heat, and ladle soup very slowly into the beaten eggs, whisking the whole time. Add several cups of soup to the eggs slowly, tempering them, until the mixture is quite warm. Then whisk the egg-soup mixture back into your pot of soup, return to low-medium heat, and stir slowly while cooking. Don't let the soup boil, but cook it until the egg thickens - you'll know it's done if you can dip a spoon into the soup, turn it over, and draw a line across the back of the spoon through the soup. If you've ever made an egg custard before, you'll know what I mean. Check for seasoning and add lemon juice/salt/pepper to taste, and serve.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If he has Sensory Integration Disorder as part of a larger neurological condition, there are therapies you can do to get him to learn to eat new foods and textures. You can start a protocol where he would just put a bite in his mouth but not chew or swallow, getting used to it very slowly, and gradually, oh so gradually, work up to eating a single, tiny bite, then up from there. This process would get repeated with each food item, one at a time, on consecutive days as much as possible. So maybe put a very small bite of chicken in his mouth days 1-15, gradually increasing the size of bite if possible, to a more normal size. Day 16-30, try chewing (again, start small!), but doesn't have to swallow. Slowly building up to where he can swallow a bite day 31-45, and hopefully by then he can start handling more and more. I would recommend getting help from a professional if possible, if this doesn't work. You don't want to end up with a child who will only eat PB sandwiches, trust me on this.
  • RainbowKitty37
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt, he may not eat it but it's super easy to cook with, make up dips, use to mix egg salad or tuna fish. Basically wherever you'd use sour cream or mayo plain greek yogurt works.
    I also put greek yogurt in pancakes and cakes/brownies/muffins. You should be able to find recipes online pretty easily.

The flavored almonds are really good too.

I had totally forgot about the flavored almonds and he loves pancakes so I will try using the yogurt.
  • RainbowKitty37
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

If the kid will eat chicken, homemade chicken nuggets could be a possibility...

What about ground meats?
    You can puree beans and hide them in brownies/smoothies/etc for more protein or use protein powder as someone else suggested.

Frittatas, quiches, prep eggs in every manner to get that protein in him lol

Thanks! That is a great idea to make home made chicken nuggets. I will try to find a recipe I can use. I lost my food processor when we moved because it got left behind. I am waiting to get a new one when we can.
  • cccoursey
    cccoursey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I personally use egg whites in everything I can as it is an easy go to for me. I recently found 'Muscle Egg', flavored egg whites, something I can drink without adding in a protein powder thus saving me a bit. I also suggest plain greek yogurt. Body Nutrition makes Trutein with a nice combination of whey, casein, and egg white proteins in differing flavors. Magic Pudding is also very nice as a treat with a good amount of protein. My great neices have done well with these since it is not only easy to cook or substitute with these items they can make their own pudding and easy bake cakes with them. It is hard to get them to eat protein as they say it hurts their stomach and you can see them visibly in pain after eating something like a pork chop, chicken strips, beans, or red meat. I've actually watched them chew it becuase they want the flavor and substance and then get upset that they cannot eat it. About the only go to for fast food is Krystals(White Castle) style burgers or small amounts of finely shredded barbecue.

These are supplements and really more for convenience than anything. However I thought I would suggest them. Since they have helped the girls get more in their diet.