Heart Rate Monitor: which one?

Options
So my birthday is in a little less than a month, and I asked my husband for a good heart rate monitor. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! It is so awesome and completely accurate!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I love it! It was $90 but well worth it! Very easy to use. Chest strap is very comfy and I can never see it under my clothes.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. My son got it for me. He chose it because you can change the battery yourself. (one of the reasons he chose it)
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I want to know too.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    IF you can afford it, theres nothing better than the FIT from BodyMedia. It's expensive though, and requires a $12/month subscription after that. It's got a TON of awesome features for losing weight, it tracks your total calories in, and total calories out. Pretty handy, IMO.

Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/BodyMedia-Weight-Management-Solution-Armband/dp/B0044ZAF0C/ref=dp_ob_title_hpc
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT7 and highly recommend it. It really depends on what you are wanting out of it though. Do you want to watch your HR, just calories burned or are you looking for an overall look at your body and what you're putting into it? If it's the latter, I would go with a Body Bugg.
  • Drewso
    Drewso Posts: 16
    Options
    I just received this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VWQS

Works great for under $40. Tells me calories and all the reviews said it was pretty accurate.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I second, third and fourth this. I have one and it was probably one of the best investments I have made!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    bump
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and love it. You can also change the battery yourself on this model too!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    you can change the battery yourself on the polar ft4 also
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance N5 - it's pretty sweet!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Drewso, I have been using the same HRM as you just got for 3 months and I love it!
  • Jrh2os
    Jrh2os Posts: 28
    Options
    Can you change the battery yourself with the Polar Ft4? Sorry, just saw the post that says you can. :smile:
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good HRM without a chest strap? I do little workouts all day long and I don't want to keep taking the chest strap on and off.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I like the Garmin. They have a good range of units and prices for what you need in a monitor, like with or without GPS for runs. I have two and they've worked quite well for some time now.

of course if you want to spend a lot of money for a lot of data the Zephyr bio harness is awesome.

Sadly you won't find a good or accurate HRM that does not have a chest strap
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can change the battery yourself on the Timex T5G971 also.
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a SportLine SX Universal Combo ECG HRM. It was a little confusing at first, but now I love it. The chest strap is optional, and I always just use the wristwatch alone. I find it to be really accurate. Got it from WalMart for about $50
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good HRM without a chest strap? I do little workouts all day long and I don't want to keep taking the chest strap on and off.

I left my chest strap on all day once just to see how it felt and it didn't bother me at all. When I wanted to start a workout I just started my watch. I have worn my FT4 to lap dance and pole class without it annoying me.
  • wigal23
    wigal23 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I second, third and fourth this. I have one and it was probably one of the best investments I have made!

I third this. Love mine as well. Got it on sale at Sears for $73.