Get back on track after 3 day binge (7000 cal plus)

Options
Hi,

I need support to get back on track after 3 binge days which totalled in 7000 cal extra (= 1 Kilogramm Fat). On the scale, my weight gain is much more..
Do you think I can only have gained the amount of pounds for 7000 calories extra or can it be more because my body might have "stored" more now that I was eating for weight loss before? Also, I was about to/starting maintenance shortly before and now had that major slip. I would like to lose back the pounds before starting maintenance again/or properly this time. Any advice on how to go on? Did you have such a problem as well from time to time?

Replies

• george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello you are certainly not alone I too binge eat. I don't find it easy to stop once I have started, stress triggers mine. Feel free to add me
    George
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh I binge. Just try to get back to your regular routine and not let the binge become the routine. Maybe get moving a bit more too. Just a bit to compensate. My thin friends do that. They have a food heavy weekend and then go for longer runs the following week. I am not quite so disciplined!
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel for you guys! Bingeing is ennoying! But it seems we have to live with it and forgive ourselves and move on...

After one normal day, I went on bingeing...in total I binged from Sunday evening until today with yesterday within my calories...in total it is now 14000 cal PLUS equals 2 kilograms of FAT (not to count in all the water weight etc. that adds to that). Well...I realize I cannot go on like that. I need to reset and also find some sort of routine/plan I can stick to and start refreshed. Maintenance is away again, although hopefully not much more than 4-6 weeks if I manage to get (back)on track. I will commit to restart tomorrow!!
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Update: another binge day of again 3500 cal Plus, so in total 17500 cal plus for me from last sunday evening until today evening!! On the scale it was already more than 5 kilo more this morning...and it will be probably even more tomorrow morning....
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    When does it end? At the end of the day, we must be accountable to ourselves. No one cares about you and your health more than YOU do. And no one is responsible for your health except YOU.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    Update: another binge day of again 3500 cal Plus, so in total 17500 cal plus for me from last sunday evening until today evening!! On the scale it was already more than 5 kilo more this morning...and it will be probably even more tomorrow morning....

What missh said. Whilst its good you are counting and posting, then isnt your mind doing something to take control? What is driving it? Is it emotional? You should be looking at thwe undelying issues and tying to find a non food response.

Its eatne now, though so its a complete waste of time to beat yourslf up. Log it to understan what you are eating and when you are ready, then slowly educe the calories as you can manage by maybe 200 a day. Get to a reasonable level and do not go to an agressive deficit.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Thank you all! I am restarting today and motivated to end all!!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just keep getting back up every time you falter. That is key. Don't give up. :)
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Thank you :O) I am getting back up. I am having a breakfast with a quest bar included to get that binge food in my daily plan in order to stop bingeing on them!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Just brush yourself off & try harder the next day. No one is perfect & everyone has their bad eating days. I've had my fair share of binge days the past few months & realized that most of the binging was from restricting my calories to make up for the previous binge. I had an epic binge a few weeks ago & ate a lot of ice cream & gained around seven pounds in a few days. Almost a week & a few days later & I am back to my maintenance weight of 153.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Many thanks for the motivation and to hear that those binges balance out eventually!
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Update : and another binge day this time even 7000 cal plus. It becomes vlear that I have to do somethig against the bingeing!!
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am pasting this from one of my responses to a friend that keeps falling off the wagon because I think it would help you too.

Okay, its a mindset thing. If you understand and accept bad days are going to be a critical part of the journey, you will stop beating yourself up about it so much that you give up. Its like saying "I have already had a bad day, might as well eat what I want and I will star tomorrow" then it repeats over and over again. That is like dropping your cell phone and saying "I already dropped it, I might as well stomp on it a few times". Even if your slip up once a day, you don't need to eat bad for the rest of it. If you have a piece of cake every 2 days its better than falling off the wagon for the week. Forgive yourself, move on. Also, and I know this is tough for some people but post your diary and be honest on it. It really helps if you are constantly thinking about cals in/cals out.
  • cyoung8151
    cyoung8151 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a food addict, and I binge. I believe there is an underlying emotional reason for a binge- even if I don't (won't??) realize what that reason might be. I have lost and regained 17 pounds twice in the past year- how messed up is that? Why can't I keep it off after having worked so hard to lose it? Sometimes it feels like a switch gets flipped in my brain. One minute I'm in control and then I just start craving carbs, and off I go.

I would love to stay in touch on this blog, and give and receive ideas and support.
  • hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi! I succeeded in blowing 90 days of hard work, yesterday! Stress is such an evil thing to me, and I completely fell for it big time! I also think I have some deep seeded fear about succeeding. I'm trying to shake yesterday off & do much better today..... but all I think about is FOOD. I almost threw in the towel but after 20 gone I can't go back there! It was 22 but guess I want to keep losing those damn 2 pounds over and over again.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what % of people binge, because I honestly think it's a majority. You're not alone.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with bingeing after days and weeks of being overly restrictive and basically starving my body. I understand how hard it can be to get back on track and stop the binge.
    First thing I will tell you is this... it's not a good idea to weigh yourself right after a binge. It will just discourage and frustrate you, which may lead you to just want to give up and keep overeating. The weight you see on the scale soon after a binge is not going to reflect your true body weight for a couple reasons. First of all, when you binge, your body gets a whopping dose of carbs and sodium all at once. Both carbs and sodium retain a lot of water, so you will most likely see a large increase on the scale due to water weight, which it takes time for your body to shed. Second, it takes time for your body to break down and digest food. When you put a large amount of food into your body all at once, it can't keep up,. Therefor a lot of food is just hanging out in your stomach right now, waiting to be broken down and utilized. The excess food in your system will cause an increase on the scale. It takes up to 3 days after your last binge (depending on the size and length of your binge and the foods you ate) for your body to really get back to "normal" aka the state it was in prior to you bingeing. Therefor if you want an accurate weight, I would give it a few days of being back on track.

As far as tips for getting back on track, here are things that I have found work for me:
    - Get in a good workout each day that gets your heart pumping (ESPECIALLY important the day after a large binge!) Not only does this help burn some calories and use some of that food for energy, but the more you sweat the more of that excess sodium your body is hanging onto will be released. Also, I have found that if I get up and work out in the morning, I tend to make better eating choices and be less likely to binge because I do not want to undo all of the hard work I put in at the gym that day!
    - Drink plenty of water. And I do mean PLENTY! It may seem counterproductive since you may feel bloated and puffy, but trust me, it really does help. Drinking more will help flush out that extra sodium and water your body is hanging onto, which will help reduce the bloating. It gets things moving through your system. Also, the more water you drink, the fuller it will help you feel throughout the day, which also makes you less likely to have the urge to binge.
    - Build accountability into your day, and have a plan of what you will do if the urge to binge hits. Get rid of foods you typically binge on. Tell your friends and family you are struggling and ask them to check in with you each evening to see how you did that day and remind you of your goals. Log everything on here. Even if you have a binge, log everything! First of all, you are taking a accountability, which can help. For me, since I Know people can see my diary, it discourages me from bingeing because I feel ashamed when people see how much I actually ate. Also, often during the middle of a binge we do not realize how much food and how many calories we are actually consuming. We often tend to underestimate the amount of calories we took in. Logging every single thing will give you an accurate number of how much you consumed, and seeing that can also be enough to help motivate you to stop or at least make you pause and think the next time you are tempted to binge. If you know evenings are hard for you, make a plan of what you will do to keep yourself busy so you wont have time to binge. Also plan what you will do if you are tempted to binge or begin to binge, such as get up and leave the house or call a friend.

Sorry this post got so long! Hope you have the chance to read through it and find it helpful. Feel free to add me as a friend and shoot me a message when you are struggling. I'd love to support you in any way I can! :)
  • chriswestcott62
    chriswestcott62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to the Dietitian at my weight loss program at Kaiser in California, you will have a peak weight 24-48 hours after a "binge" and some of it will fall off almost immediately. It is water weight due to the fact we tend to get lots of sodium during a binge. My experience has borne this out... a one day binge will set me back for about 3-4 days and then I'll be back on track.

@dopeysmelly - I think the majority of people occasionally stress-binge. It's important that we remember we are human and sometimes make bad choices. Taking the long view helps. If I gain 1 lb this week and lose 2 lbs next week, I'm still headed in the right direction!
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Gradually get back into your exercise routine, go for healthy snacks between meals, and have plenty of water to stay hydrated. Bouncing back from excess calories is challenging, but stay determined to make the right choices and you'll be back on track soon enough.
  • five1113
    five1113 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I feel you here. But it's so important to not let 3 binge days discourage you. Let it empower you instead. Weightloss is a battle. You will fall off the wagon, but just know that getting back up is the true key to success. Wishing you will power ;)