MFP changed my daily calorie goal

Options
W_Stewart
W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
I have been using MFP for 3 days. My calorie Goal was automatically set to 1500 after I filled out the diet/fitness/activity profile with my age, weight, height and sedentary lifestlye. Then I used the website and app to manage my diet/exercise choices to ensure I came in just under the calorie goal each day. Somehow my calorie goal changed today without me changing my age, weight, height and sedentary lifestlye settings.

Today I updated my profile to indicate that I wanted to work out 7 days a week or 30 minutes each day. This is just a goal and not calorie adjustment. I did not change any other settings. When I saved it my Daily Calorie Goal went from 1500 to 1290. I don't understand why since I didn't change any of the settings that affect this. I changed it back to no entries for daily workout goals and it stayed at 1290. It also changed my prior days goals from 1500 to 1290 so apparently I have been eating too much. So now I am confused as to what it should be set to...1500 or 1290?

Thanks

Replies

• healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    That is weird, but 1290 seems really low. What is your weight/goal weight and how much are you trying to lose per week?
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, the calories decrease based on your new weight which is why myfitnesspal AUTOMATICALLY changes it. If YOUR the one who personalized it, then you do not click the automatic update button, you have to reset it yourself for your new calories and goals because myfitnesspal is going to reset it to what they think is best and will not change it based on your original goals. So, as you lose weight and update it, myfitnesspal is going to ask if you want to change it but if you click for them to do it then it will overwrite what you wrote an they put what they think is best...if you wanted it to be accurate with what you personally needed it and your new calorie goal, you would of needed to input it yourself including the new calorie goal..but YES your calories will change as you lose weight..if you keep eating same amount as you lose weight then eventually your body will not change to lose because it will stay where it is an the weight will slowly fall off or it will plateau and you will be in a stand still an basically MAINTAINING your weight instead of losing.
  • estherdfoster
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add, you said you were changing your workouts..that also changes your calories because depending on how much you workout determines if you need more or less calories..so if you wanted to stay at 1500 but workout more, than dont hit the automatic button, just go in an change the goals manually in custom an nothing will be intact..but anytime you hit the recommended button for them to do it, everything will change.
  • W_Stewart
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is something else screwy. The numbers don't add up.

This is what it shows for yesterday (after some adjustment occurred)

173sDzi.png

Here is the correct math showing I ate over my goal yesterday by 77 calories, yet it didn't say that yesterday. it said I was under by 133 and is still showing the under amount. Yet the correct math shows I was over my goal.:

CRAUGpI.png

• W_Stewart
    Options
    these are my settings:

weight = 208
    age = 49
    height = 5' 11"
    Sedentary
    Goal = lose 2 pounds a week

Here is my theory. I have been using an iPhone app, iPad app and the website. I originally entered my settings on either the iPad or the iPhone. Today I saved my settings (but no changes) on the website. I think it gave me one goal on the iOS device, then updated it when using the web.

Just sucks as I thought I had been under my goal these past 3 days and turns out I exceeded it. The "Reports" feature is also screwed up. It shows I was over each day on my calories although yesterday shows I still had 133 to possibly eat.

• estherdfoster
    Options
    The reason it is showing that is because it is calculating based on your CALORIES BURNED as well. When you look at the numbers you see that is shows over 2,000 calories. So yes, it will not show up accurately when you plug in your workout during the day. But if you wait till the end of the day an plug it in, you will see that the whole time it adds up how it should be and once you add in your workout routing the calories will change on there. That is how some people wind up eating more because they forget that when they add exercise in, the calories change and confuse them.
  • W_Stewart
    Options
    Here is the report showing I was over by 77 calories but the first image above suggests I had 133 to spare.

Y82QgdE.png
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add, you said you were changing your workouts..that also changes your calories because depending on how much you workout determines if you need more or less calories..so if you wanted to stay at 1500 but workout more, than dont hit the automatic button, just go in an change the goals manually in custom an nothing will be intact..but anytime you hit the recommended button for them to do it, everything will change.

no it doesn't...it only adds calories when you log a workout.

Your calories change for one of three reasons

1. Changed activity level
    2. changed weight by at least 5-10lbs (can't remember)
    3. you changed them by manually entering them...

Unless MFP has another bug.
    wahoowad wrote: »

173sDzi.png

Here is the correct math showing I ate over my goal yesterday by 77 calories, yet it didn't say that yesterday. it said I was under by 133 and is still showing the under amount. Yet the correct math shows I was over my goal.:

CRAUGpI.png

Okay so your goal is 1260 calories? how much weight are you trying to lose? 2lbs a week indicates you are over 100lbs over weight...but you really only want to lose 34lbs...and 1260 calories as a man is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to low...should be at the lowest 1600.

but that being said no your numbers don't add up if your goal is 1260....if they are set at 1500 maybe...

• estherdfoster
    Options
    Also, it goes back to what i said..your diary is not basing it off of 1290 calories, it is basing it off of 1500 calories... 1500 calories + 666 calories from workout equals 2166 calories and eating 2033 will equal 133..if it was 1290 then that + 666 will equal 1956 calories...but if you ate 2033 then you will be over 77 calories which means you ate over your goal and ate back your exercise calories..
  • estherdfoster
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

173sDzi.png

CRAUGpI.png

Okay so your goal is 1260 calories? how much weight are you trying to lose? 2lbs a week indicates you are over 100lbs over weight...but you really only want to lose 34lbs...and 1260 calories as a man is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to low...should be at the lowest 1600.

but that being said no your numbers don't add up if your goal is 1260....if they are set at 1500 maybe...

Right, i said if she change her workouts it will change calories..just as you said if she changes activity level, it change calories.
  • W_Stewart
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ehhh...everybody is not saying the same thing :D . Math aside, MFP has been reporting my starting out daily goal was 1500 each day. Now it is showing 1290 each day. My weight has not changed in the settings. I didn't change any of the settings that affect the daily net calorie goal.

Whether it is healthy or not is a different issue. I just don't want it changing things up on me. I was under my goal when it was 1500, but now the website thinks it should be 1290 for the same settings :(
  • W_Stewart
    edited April 2015
    Options
    your diary is not basing it off of 1290 calories, it is basing it off of 1500 calories

Then why does tomorrow show my daily goal is 1290? It doesn't report 1500 as my goal anywhere anymore

Oe7IkEQ.png

• SezxyStef
    Options
    your diary is not basing it off of 1290 calories, it is basing it off of 1500 calories

Then why does tomorrow show my daily goal is 1290?

Oe7IkEQ.png

based on your thoughts about the phone..try setting your goals up on the computer instead and see what that does...as a male 1290 is too low.
  • estherdfoster
    Options
    well..most people wind up just figuring their calories out on a different site an then plugging in their own nutrition on here and just never mess with the update button because MFP confuses it sometimes. If i were to have hit recommend on mine, it would say i should eat 64 sugar and i know that is definitely not good so every since i notice that, i just type in my own requirements in each field an when i need to update it I click the goals button an then custom.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Simple solution. Manually change your daily goal to 1500 calories. However, I'd recommend being less aggressive with your goal and change it 1 lb per week as you really don't have that much to lose.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

173sDzi.png

CRAUGpI.png

Right, i said if she change her workouts it will change calories..just as you said if she changes activity level, it change calories.

activity level meaning sedentary, lightly active or active...not exercise goals

ogcxvmu9kvpz.png
    ndbbkeq2yz1a.png

• estherdfoster
    edited April 2015
    Options
    According to calculator.net if you were not working out at all...this would be your recommendation..

You need 2,197 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 1,697 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,197 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
    You need 2,697 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
    You need 3,197 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

But if you were working out EVERYDAY than it would be this one...

You need 3,158 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 2,658 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 2,158 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
    You need 3,658 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
    You need 4,158 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

So if you are working out than YES you are eating too little calories because you should be in the 2,000 and up areas...
  • estherdfoster
    Options

173sDzi.png

CRAUGpI.png

activity level meaning sedentary, lightly active or active...not exercise goals

ogcxvmu9kvpz.png
    ndbbkeq2yz1a.png

Oh okay, I was referring to amount being burned and length of time haha..
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    According to calculator.net if you were not working out at all...this would be your recommendation..

You need 2,197 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 1,697 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,197 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
    You need 2,697 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
    You need 3,197 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

But if you were working out EVERYDAY than it would be this one...

You need 3,158 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 2,658 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 2,158 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
    You need 3,658 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
    You need 4,158 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

So if you are working out than YES you are eating too little calories because you should be in the 2,000 and up areas...

I agree with this...I am 42 5 ft 7 155lb female who eat 1800 a day and loses from 1/2lb to 1lb a week depending on my cardio levels...in the summer I can eat 2400-2500 and maintain...depends on cardio levels...
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Does your app have an update pending? There used to be a bug on... iOS? that was giving out calorie goals that were too low.

I agree with resetting by rerunning on the desktop. If using it on phone or tablet or whatever changes it again, then for now, set it yourself manually so it sticks across platforms.

(Though I also agree that 1500 is very aggressive, it's basically the minimum listed for any male, as in, netting -- after exercise -- anything less is dangerous, so it's pretty rock bottom low. Your report page says you often net under 1400, which really isn't good for you. If you insist in coming "under" goal every day, set your goal to like 1800 and come in under.)