Unsure about support

Options
Had a lovely 4 day weekend away in Germany to see part of my partners family,
I ate more than you can imagine and drank way to much wine, but has a good weekend with the in-laws,
I got back and logged it all,
I was getting a lift home from my partners dady, I mention in the conversation about the weekend (after he had pointed out that I hadn't eaten much while we were away) that I'm supposed to be on a diet, he said that I'm not fat I'm just big, with big hips, big boobs and thick legs (while geasturing at his thighs) and that it would take a while to lose what I have because its not fat, not sure how to take it, should I be annoyed or flattered or something completly different??

Just wondering :/

Little Miss Optimist
xxx

Replies

• MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Chances are he means well, just maybe doesn't know as much as he thinks. Sounds like old person for "you look hot to me." I'd just take it with a smile and a nod.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Chances are he means well, just maybe doesn't know as much as he thinks. Sounds like old person for "you look hot to me." I'd just take it with a smile and a nod.

This exactly.

Old person for "you look hot to me"

That made me literally LOL.
  • callielizabethrocks
    callielizabethrocks Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think that he was (trying) to be kind. Often people who aren't involved in a weight loss journey tell me "you're fine, you look great, you're just big bonned and the kicker--come on, have a piece, of cake it won't kill you." They just don't understand that every second is a choice to be healthy and a choice to eat well, and that you are making those choices. They think if they are fine then you should be too.

Be happy that he loves you enough to try and connect and keep on keeping on.

Have a great day!
    Callie

I
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I cringe if my hubby uses the term "Fat". It sounds to me like he is not concerned with your physical appearence. Which is a bonus! I have seen some people that are just BIG, and not "FAT". Some people carry thier weight differenly than others. Some are more muscular. I am sure he had good intentions, either though you have mixed feelings about his comment!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Got to agree, and lol. I'm probably his age or older and hope I have more sense, but it's probably true. He found a way to compliment your boobs by hiding them in with a discussion of other "big" things.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'd be amused, the poor fellow does not seem to have a clue what human bodies are made of! Thighs are

1. Bone.
    2. Muscle and connective tissue.
    3. Blood and lymph systems
    4. Fat.

Which does he think you have too much of?

Bone? What, your femurs are six inches thick or something?
    Muscle? He's crediting you with a hell of a lot of gym work - or does he think you've been popping steroids?!!!
    Blood vessels the size of sausages maybe? LOL

Or perhaps he thinks that ladies legs are made of some other mysterious substance? :bigsmile:

The guy's clueless, but I doubt he meant to be offensive. The problem is, women who have too much fat covering their frame get terribly upset if the word fat is used. I know it's a bit silly, personally I believe in facing the facts head on, but it means that even clued up men are a bit restricted in what they can say.